Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Let’s hear what you’ve found. Yours or bullets in animals that you have killed fired by someone else.

Have found two small caliber bullets apparently shot a season or two prior, appeared to be .24 caliber cup and core, in elk. I also found a bout 6” of arrow-shaft with broadhead against the shoulder blade of my first moose. The arrow/broadhead were fully incased in what I would describe as a large mass of gristle.

Found a bullet that I shot into an elk broadside behind the shoulder only hitting a rib, found up against the hide on the opposite side, under the hide. Last time to use those bullets for hunting. If I recover a bullet from broadside shot on anything smaller than a very large Bison…..I’m on the hunt for a different bullet! memtb

Exactly - should simply be part of a feedback loop.

BC/ELR/VLD/blah/blah/blah...

Exit wounds, big ones.

Even if it's a lowly cup-n-core.

GR

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve seen enough 180 PTs from 300 magnums come apart that I don’t love that bullet like others do. Granted they were dug out of animals but if I’m using a bullet like that I’d like it stay together a bit better.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by memtb
WOW, just friggen wow! Is everyone using varmint bullets were you hunt? memtb

Guy shot a large bull moose up here in AK. Cutting up the neck meat, he hit a puss sack in the neck. Out popped a 270 partition bullet.

Memtb, how many 243 bullets you found in that elk?

We don't hear much about these stupid fkn gopher bullets when they fail.

Two different elk, one was a .243 (I think, didn’t measure), the other appeared to have been a .270, again no actual measurement! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This isn't a recovered bullet, but interesting just the same.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I forgot about my bad experiences with .Sierra 300 gr. SBT’s from my old H&H.

* A Mule Deer broadside, sprinting shot (just jumped it from it’s bed) @ about 20 yards, though technically not a bullet recovery. I hit the knee joint continuing on to pretty much disembowel the deer….hitting just behind the diaphragm. No part of the bullet exited, I found no part of the bullet…..though in honesty, I didn’t spend a great deal of time looking.

* A medium sized black bear shot @ about 90 yards….broadside, hitting behind the shoulder, entering between the ribs. The bullet failed to exit, I did find the empty jacket inside the rib cage on the off side.

I quickly went to a different bullet, a 270 grain Hornady Interlock SP. It worked great at .375 H&H velocities…..not so much at my .375 AI velocities.

I tested the Sierra’s side by side against the Hornady’s into a dry, loose dirt backstop. The Hornady’s gave a “picture perfect”, classic mushroom. The Sierra’s appeared to have evaporated, I found nothing …..not even jacket shards! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Quote: I actually prefer the bullets to stay in the animal

T_Innman, I could probably live with that provided that I was always guaranteed a broadside shot, and I could place the bullet behind the shoulder bone.

However, I can’t seem to get that guarantee….plus, using one cartridge/one bullet for all of my big game hunting. So…….that would be quite the “magic bullet” that would give the same results on a small Texas Whitetail doe and a large Bison.

I guess that I’m stuck with pass-throughs on most game! 😉 memtb

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bones are tough on bullets.If you hit a large bone on the entry side,it can really affect the wound channel the bullet makes.Here is a 180gr Accubond I recovered from a red stag I shot with a 308 Norma Magnum at 185yds,mv was 3050fps.The bullet hit the big humerus bone right below where it connects with the scapula.That is the largest,thickest bone in the shoulder.The bullet blew the bone to pieces,went through a rib,through the heart,hit another rib behind the offside shoulder and tried to exit,but the thick hide held it back.The recovered weight was 89.4gr(49.6%).
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Bones are tough on bullets.If you hit a large bone on the entry side,it can really affect the wound channel the bullet makes.Here is a 180gr Accubond I recovered from a red stag I shot with a 308 Norma Magnum at 185yds,mv was 3050fps.The bullet hit the big humerus bone right below where it connects with the scapula.That is the largest,thickest bone in the shoulder.The bullet blew the bone to pieces,went through a rib,through the heart,hit another rib behind the offside shoulder and tried to exit,but the thick hide held it back.The recovered weight was 89.4gr(49.6%).

That right there is why it’s tough to hate ABs.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by baldhunter

Certainly a stellar report!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
223 powered 75 Hornady SPs taken out of pigs

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
69RMR Matchking clone caught under the hide of a big pig.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

130 ETip launched from a 270Wby and found after 3’ of penetration on a quartered bull elk.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Here is what I could find of a 150g Hornady Interlock.
Was fired out of a .308 into a big tom leopard. Muzzle velocity was 2,787.

Bullet entered between shoulder blades and exited out the front right armpit. This was laying at the base of the bait tree.

Some may call this bullet failure. Idk. All I know is that I had one very dead leopard that never took a step.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Brown bear at 13 yards, 2011 Upper Togiak Lake. 375 H&H Remington Premier Safari Grade 300g A-Frame. Bullet still weighs 299.5 grains, entered right behind the righ shoulder, bullet recovered in the hide from the left rear thigh.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I used to geek out about exits and would be disappointed to catch a bullet. Then after shooting a few hundred more animals and keeping notes I realized that often the bullet that doesn’t exit kills faster than the one that does. That exit for a blood trail demanded by some often isn’t necessary with a little softer bullet because you don’t have to follow a blood trail when you can see them fall.

Not every bullet has to be hard as woodpecker lips and the ones that aren’t super hard aren’t necessarily tinfoil jacketed bombs. The middle of the spectrum often works really well.

The only animal I can definitely say I lost because of a bullet not performing was a really big pig I shot on the point of the shoulder with a 180 WW Silvertip factory load from a 30/06. My cousin caught him with his dogs a few weeks later and found the flattened bullet against his scapula. I’m not too proud to admit that the handful of other animals I’ve lost were likely due to poor shooting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I killed a big old whitetain doe once that had two different sizes of bird shot and three .22 LR bullets in her hind quarters. Killed another that had a shotgun slug healed in against the bone in it's neck. The slug was flat as a pancake and about as big around as a half dollar. Only thing I could figure is it went through a small tree before it hit the deer. Seemed to me like it would have knocked it down long enough to put another slug in it but who knows. Somewhere I have a plastic bag with a bunch of spent shotgun slugs and rifle bullets of various calibers recoved from dead deer over the years. To me the best bullets are the ones that left a good wound channel all the way through and out the other side.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
55 Hornady out of 222Mag. Broke two ribs and pulped the lungs of a cow elk. The one I shot her sister with about 1 minute later exited.

Last edited by TheKid; 03/24/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs

200 Accubond out of a .340 WBY. Cow elk. They work, sometimes a bit too good but this is why I generally prefer to avoid shoulder bone. That gritty bone marrow was a mess to clean up and wasn't just on the surface of the meat.

Broadside shoulder shots also often ruin the absolute best part, but that can be with most bullets.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
The only animal I can definitely say I lost because of a bullet not performing was a really big pig I shot on the point of the shoulder with a 180 WW Silvertip factory load from a 30/06. My cousin caught him with his dogs a few weeks later and found the flattened bullet against his scapula.

Be careful.....plenty of people here at 24 Hour will tell you that is flat out impossible and your cousin lied to you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Found a pic of the two 140 VLDs from the cow elk I mentioned earlier. All 4 pieces found lodged against skin on the far side, with no bone except possibly a rib coming into contact. I want to say this was at 425 yards or thereabouts. These two worked as they're supposed to, but others out of the same box didn't, or at least didn't impress me when shoulder bone was hit.

It was one of these. I do not recall which.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 3,100 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,603
Posts18,473,675
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.