Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Was a longtime Milwaukee guy and never had a problem with a battery that wasn't just worn completely out. Worked my last 10 years in a facility that used and bought all Dewalt cordless tools. I bought a few Dewalt things to use at work and take advantage of the batteries they provided
When I retired I brought the Dewalt stuff I bought home, but had no batteries, so last year I strted off with a couple of 3ah batteries and a charger.
One battery charged, the other flashed fast red then wnt to amber and stopped charging. Took the bad one back and traded it for another. And got another bad battery. Third trip the clerk dug a charger out and we tested batteries in the store til I left with a good one.

Fast forward to this week. I'm moving soon and will need a few homeowner tools again. Found a set of 4 dewalt batteries on sale for $159. Two 4ah, and two 2ah in each box.
Got themn home and started charging. Both 2ah batteries charged perfectly. Both 4ah batteries flashed "BAD" on the charger. Called the store and took just the bad batteries back. They broke a package open and set me up with 2 new 4ah units and I took them home and put them, one at a time, on the charger
Both bad again. Called the store, and took them back.

Tested through two more packages and put them on a charger, in store, til we found 2 batteries that indicated "GOOD"

I'm grateful that the store did this for me, but what a pain in the ass. Never had problems with Dewalt batteries at work, but I never got batteries still in package. They were all opened and tagged as company equip before I saw them.

Is this a regular thing? Were these batteries priced this way because of a known issue?

Anyone ever had a string of bad batteries from anyone else?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Never had a problem like that.
My company stuff is Milwaukie and my personal stuff is mostly Makita.
I think they are the best two with Makita taking a slight lead because of their extensive tool inventory.
I'm done with Dewalt products.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Never had a problem like that.
My company stuff is Milwaukie and my personal stuff is mostly Makita.
I think they are the best two with Makita taking a slight lead because of their extensive tool inventory.
I'm done with Dewalt products.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I use alot of Default stuff myself,never heard of that happening.
Stay away from the offshoots on Fleaybay,I have tried that route and it didn't work out so well.

What were the date codes on the bad ones?
Any chance it was a bad run?

Last edited by rong; 03/25/24.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Could your charger be bad?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How cold was it when you were trying to charge them? If it was below 32F, that could cause problems. Li batteries won't charge in the cold. Some chargers and some batteries will shut down until they warm up.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rong
I use alot of Default stuff myself,never heard of that happening.
Stay away from the offshoots on Fleaybay,I have tried that route and it didn't work out so well.

What were the date codes on the bad ones?
Any chance it was a bad run?

The date codes on what I have here now are all from 2023. I'd guess that the ones I took back were the same.

Bad Run? It happened last fall with a pair of 3ah batteries, purchased separately, and again today with several 4ah units sold as part of a set.

Got one of the latest 4ah units charging now and it looks to be going ok.

I will say that every single battery I used at work was a 5ah unit. What I bought last fall were both 3ah. Todays are 2ah, with no issues, and 4ah with several issues.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Don't think so. It's been charging my 3ah units properly, and the new 2ah units charged with no issue. the latest 4ah units looks to be charging properly.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How cold was it when you were trying to charge them? If it was below 32F, that could cause problems. Li batteries won't charge in the cold. Some chargers and some batteries will shut down until they warm up.

Outside temps today were in the high 50s, and I only had them outside for maybe 15 minutes, tops. Got them in my place, to charge, and the thermostat is at 68. Store felt like mid 60s or so.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had to return one last summer for the same reason. Must have been a bad batch. I was going to try and jump start them as per YouTube but decided that I shouldn't have to do that to a new battery.

IC B3

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I will say, that if the batteries are good, $159 is a kick ass price for the combo of two 4ah, and two 2ah units.

Paid $180 at blowout price for a pair of 3ah units, one with a charger, previously...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have bought cordless tool batteries on Ebay for almost pennies on the dollar over name brand ones with very good results, YMMV

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have DeWalt, never had that problem

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by johnw
Was a longtime Milwaukee guy and never had a problem with a battery that wasn't just worn completely out. Worked my last 10 years in a facility that used and bought all Dewalt cordless tools. I bought a few Dewalt things to use at work and take advantage of the batteries they provided
When I retired I brought the Dewalt stuff I bought home, but had no batteries, so last year I strted off with a couple of 3ah batteries and a charger.
One battery charged, the other flashed fast red then wnt to amber and stopped charging. Took the bad one back and traded it for another. And got another bad battery. Third trip the clerk dug a charger out and we tested batteries in the store til I left with a good one.

Fast forward to this week. I'm moving soon and will need a few homeowner tools again. Found a set of 4 dewalt batteries on sale for $159. Two 4ah, and two 2ah in each box.
Got themn home and started charging. Both 2ah batteries charged perfectly. Both 4ah batteries flashed "BAD" on the charger. Called the store and took just the bad batteries back. They broke a package open and set me up with 2 new 4ah units and I took them home and put them, one at a time, on the charger

Tested through two more packages and put them on a charger, in store, til we found 2 batteries that indicated "GOOD"

I'm grateful that the store did this for me, but what a pain in the ass. Never had problems with Dewalt batteries at work, but I never got batteries still in package. They were all opened and tagged as company equip before I saw them.

Is this a regular thing? Were these batteries priced this way because of a known issue?

Have only had DeWalt since about 95. Have never had a bad battery from them. Probably guessing 20 batteries over the years maybe. Probably can find 10 right now.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
This was an issue with some chargers at work. They weren't actual Milwaukee battery chargers.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You do know that a flashing light on the DeWalt charging base means CHARGING, right? In fact,the label states such. When charged, you get a solid light.

Out of the 5 DeWalt charging bases I own, none have an indicator for BAD.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 3584ELK

You do know that a flashing light on the DeWalt charging base means CHARGING, right? In fact,the label states such. When charged, you get a solid light.

Out of the 5 DeWalt charging bases I own, none have an indicator for BAD.
Rapid red is bad indication.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bet you got knock offs

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I was skeptical of the 20V;s but they work well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some guys would take the 50% +/- failure rate as a sign.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.