Print Thread
Hop To
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Working on another “problem child” rifle. A CLR/NULA that has not been as precise as I anticipated. Decided to bore scope it and have a few questions.

Pic #1
Is this hard carbon fouling?

[Linked Image]

Pic #2
Tooling marks just beyond the leade. How big of a problem is this defect?

[Linked Image]

Pics #3 -
Found these radial grooves throughout the bore. They tend to be deeper or more prominent near the chamber and less near the muzzle. How much of a problem are these and what caused them?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So, what are these defects and what impact would they have on precision? Any input would be helpful.

I’ve have other avenues to troubleshoot with the rifle, so am not set that the barrel is only problem.

Thanks

Scott

Last edited by SWJ; 03/25/24.
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Very interesting. Just a few weeks ago I looked at the bore of my old Winchester 94/22, which I've had since the 1970s, and found a similar grove in the bore at about the midpoint of the barrel. It appears uniform in depth and extends around the entire circumference of the bore. Been wondering what caused this too.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If using a Teslong, get rid of the red(low glare) mirror as it tends to add a copper wash color in bright barrels.
Do not borescope factory rifles if you have a faint heart.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52
If using a Teslong, get rid of the red(low glare) mirror as it tends to add a copper wash color in bright barrels.
Do not borescope factory rifles if you have a faint heart.

True that!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am interested in the answer to all of your questions relating to the pics in your OP - the potential carbon ring, and the annular rings in the barrel. I have observed these in barrels of my own and figure they must be a vestige of button rifling, but I don't know for sure.

My borescope has taught me that pretty is as pretty does. These three awful looking gouges from the cut rifling process are in the bore of a 9.3x63 rebore JES did for me on a 1903 Springfield
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
But despite those three hickeys it does this somewhat routinely

On the other hand, I have another JES Springfield rebore, in 338-06, that looks lovely in the borescope but doesn't shoot nearly as well.

These points aren't terribly germane to the questions in your OP, but they are good to see for those who may get spooked by what they see in their borescope.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use my Hawkeye just to verify how my cleaning of the barrel is going.

My experience resembles yours in that it will not predict how it shoots in the sense that the best looking is not necessarily the best shooting. Within reason, of course.

chamois

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On pic #1, that is carbon build up. The best way I've found to remove it is with JB Bore Paste on a bronze brush. Once it's removed, that area at times can still be a bit darker...depends on the barrel material.

The stuff in the other pics aren't unusual to see in production barrels. They may or may not have any affect on accuracy....impossible to predict.

Hope this helps. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A more informative test of the barrels quality would be to slug it with a soft lead slug. There’s no way of knowing what effect any of those machining defects will have on group size. A lead slug will demonstrate any dimensional differences that will definitely have a negative effect. Variation in bore diameter is the kiss of death for a rifle barrel. And yes, your barrel is badly carbon fouled.

Last edited by BangPop; 03/26/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Surprisingly, barrel internals can be a little 'loose' as long as the last 3-4" is at minimum standard to -.0002 bore/groove size. Sometimes, this is actually intentional....depending on your working relationship with the barrel maker. wink -Al

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Al,

The worst factory barrel I've ever slugged was on a 7x57 that one of my editors could NOT get to group even three shots under 2" at 100 yards. He sent it to me, and after test-firing it a little with loads I'd found accurate in most 7x57s, I slugged the bore. It turned out the "tight" spots were .287", and there were several looser spots....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yikes..... shocked

Forbidden Zoner
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
All, thanks for the input and replies

Al, yes extremely helpful! I'm a newbie with the bore scope and do not have a knowledge base for barrel manufacturing. I have learned quite a bit from your responses and your other bore scope posts. I used your suggestion on for carbon fouling on my old Ruger, and it worked very well.

As some have suggested, I am going to slug the barrel to check the dimensions. I am also going to transition to low rings from Talley to improve scope alignment and work on improving my shooting mechanics. After that the focus will be on trying different bullets and powders to see what works. I have plenty of Hunter and will try the MD load. May try a low recoil 125'ish gr handload for practice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Al,

The worst factory barrel I've ever slugged was on a 7x57 that one of my editors could NOT get to group even three shots under 2" at 100 yards. He sent it to me, and after test-firing it a little with loads I'd found accurate in most 7x57s, I slugged the bore. It turned out the "tight" spots were .287", and there were several looser spots....
The 7.1x57

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
6.9-7.1- 6.9 X 57 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

The editor was so discouraged that he gave the rifle to me. I had it rebarreled in .358 Winchester--because I'd always been curious how much .358 velocities could actually be "improved" in a .30-06-length action--which I doubted

My theory, of course, was based on the 4-to-1 Rule.--and it turned out I was right. It didn't gain any significant velocity....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.