Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking for a easy to use flip cell phone that you can program to only receive calls from only the people/numbers in the contact list. Long story short is my Mom who is 93 has a flip phone and no matter how many times we tell her not to answer unknown callers she insists on answering and bitching them out or even talking to them and I'm afraid she's going to get scammed. She even will call back unknown call that she has received but missed.

We have her phone set up with all the family and friends contacts so the persons calling name is displayed. The only solution now is to block all calls except if they're in the contacts and her phone won't do that, I've asked the folks at the Verizon store.

We already have control of all her bank and investment accounts and she doesn't know any of the passwords but she still knows her social security number and the name of the banks she uses and her address.

Anyone here have experience with an easy to use phone like this? I've done some searching on line but don't want to go into this blind, so hoping someone here has some experiences in this.

Thanks
Mark

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't tried it but here's how you do that with an iphone. Does her phone have a 'do not disturb' setting'?

Select "Do Not Disturb" from the settings menu by scrolling down. Select "All Contacts" from the list of possibilities after tapping "Allow Calls From" In the Do Not Disturb menu, select the "Always" button if you wish to always filter incoming calls from unknown numbers.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Most phones have a setting for blocking all unknown numbers. Only known contacts will ring.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Unfortunately that function of blocking of unknown numbers is not a option on the flip phone. I can't go to a regular iphone as she won't be able to use it.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AZmark
Unfortunately that function of blocking of unknown numbers is not a option on the flip phone. I can't go to a regular iphone as she won't be able to use it.

Mark, you are not giving your mother enough credit.

My aunt who is in her 90's uses an I-phone that her daughters set up for her.

All her children, grand children and great grand children, all nieces and nephews numbers are in the i-phone plus any of her friends who she wanted to stay in contact with. all other numbers do not ring through and are blocked.

My cousin, removed all the apps on the iPhone and left the maps and weather and messaging so it is easy to use.

find your mother a iPhone that she would like (size is the driver) make sure that you have iPhone find engaged and Sinked to your iPhone so that you can locate her and her iPhone.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would go to the cell phone stores and tell them what you want. They should know if their phone are able to do it.

AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bwana338

All her children, grand children and great grand children, all nieces and nephews numbers are in the i-phone plus any of her friends who she wanted to stay in contact with. all other numbers do not ring through and are blocked.

My cousin, removed all the apps on the iPhone and left the maps and weather and messaging so it is easy to use.

find your mother a iPhone that she would like (size is the driver) make sure that you have iPhone find engaged and Sinked to your iPhone so that you can locate her and her iPhone.
o
You don't know my Mom...she has a hard time with tech stuff and the only function she uses on her flip phone is go to contacts or recent calls and call someone on the list. She even quit watching TV because she couldn't handle the remote, and that's even with written instructions and channel numbers. Not only have I tried to help her but my two brothers have done the same.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Scotty
I would go to the cell phone stores and tell them what you want. They should know if their phone are able to do it.

Agreed...

But try SEVERAL STORES... the will be much dumbassery in that niche' of employees.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just googled "flip phone do not disturb". I got this link for a Samsung with a do not disturb setting for contacts only. I suspect there are many more.

FLIP PHONE

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have any useful information to add, but need to up my post count.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bwana338

o
You don't know my Mom...she has a hard time with tech stuff and the only function she uses on her flip phone is go to contacts or recent calls and call someone on the list. She even quit watching TV because she couldn't handle the remote, and that's even with written instructions and channel numbers. Not only have I tried to help her but my two brothers have done the same.
My mother lived to 104 and she was quite competent with both a cell phone and a computer. She spent a lot of her time surfing the web.
By contrast, my MIL lived to 93. She lived with us for several years. She was hopeless with even the most simple cell phone. We had to have a land line for her.

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,414
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.