Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Which one of these .22 from Kimber is more desirable or valuable and why do folks fall on either side of the debate?

I guess K22 are New York and 82 are from Oregon? I can only find a 82 Classic Varmint (Oregon) on GB. Can’t find a New York rifle over there…

Educate me please

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
GB1

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Some will tell you that the K22, Yonkers, has the edge in accuracy, I'm inclined to agree.
Others like the 82's because you get a nice polished bluing.
I lean real heavy toward the Yonker Kimbers.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sounds like you need one of each to compare for yourself.

I really like my 82 Custom Classic from Oregon, but it's a 22 Hornet and they didn't make any of those in Yonkers.

Last edited by MikeL2; 03/25/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They are both nice. I'll follow this thread, as I would like to know the differences as well. I understand the guy (Jack Warne) that started Kimber of Oregon, and designed the model 82, was from Australia, and designed the Winchester model 320, and the Sportco model 62, before that. The Winchester 320 is similar to the Kimber 82. Uses the same/similar magazines, and other parts. Having recently bought a Winchester model 320, I am very interested in the Kimber 82's, and other Kimber rifles. I've always admired them, for their beauty, and also know they are very accurate. Pictures of some nice 82's would be cool..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I believe the fundamental difference in the rimfire versions is that in the NY version the barrel is offset in the action. This allows them to use a round firing pin with a faster lock time.

Last edited by JFE; 03/26/24.
IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
No experience with anything but the Kimber of Oregon rifles, but have several 82s. They have a cult following, and I guess I’m in the cult. Mine are only .22s, and I can say they are quite accurate, staying under .5” at 50 yards with their preferred ammo.

There is some good info in this link, with a copy of a brochure tracing the history and models of the Kimber of Oregon rifles. It is somewhat challenging to following the copy organization, but the info is there.

https://theolddeerhunters.com/kimber-82/

I like the accuracy of these rifles, but I’m even more fond of the styling and workmanship of them as well. The pride of the workforce is evident. Prices seem to reflect that my passion for them is shared by many others.

Last edited by GF1; 03/26/24.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by K22
Some will tell you that the K22, Yonkers, has the edge in accuracy, I'm inclined to agree.
Others like the 82's because you get a nice polished bluing.
I lean real heavy toward the Yonker Kimbers.

….I tend to agree with this as well.

I have three Oregon Kimbers and two shoot respectable one is outstanding. I have had two Yonkers Hunter Silhouette models and am down to one. Both of these are/were outstanding shooters (meaning 5-shot groups at 50 yds around 0.25” with the ammo they preferred). I do like the looks of the Oregon Kimbers better but I’m from that era so I might have bonded when I was impressionable🤔😄!

PennDog

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have owned both. Great little rifles, currently still own a Yonkers, NY K22 that I bought new in 2002. It is a more reliably accurate than my M82 with a variety of ammo. Took a while to figure out what brand the M82 liked. Both would shoot under a half inch at 50 yds. K22 well under most times.
Shot sporter class silhouette and hunted small game with both. The bluing on the M82 was much better, the stock on my K22 is beautiful.
I would buy either one if you want a very classy, accurate .22 sporter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My late brother bought an 82 very early in their run. Had an issue with the extractors and the TS guy told him it was the second one that left the factory. I think he paid $400 for it. Stunningly accurate. He “ruined” it by sending it off for rust bluing and refinishing the stock with a lot of Linspeed, but it came out very nice indeed.

My son recently picked up a NIB one, and apparently there are a few more out there like that. I would prefer a Yonkers one myself for the very cool action, but doubt I’ll ever buy either as I have a couple of good .22s on hand that don’t get the attention they deserve now, and it’s time for me to stop piling schitt up.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by JFE
I believe the fundamental difference in the rimfire versions is that in the NY version the barrel is offset in the action. This allows them to use a round firing with a faster lock time.

The offset barrel also allowed them to successfully use a Mauser style extractor. One of the selling points for me.

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Try Guns International.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by JFE
I believe the fundamental difference in the rimfire versions is that in the NY version the barrel is offset in the action. This allows them to use a round firing with a faster lock time.

The offset barrel also allowed them to successfully use a Mauser style extractor. One of the selling points for me.

Pretty cool info in this thread. However, having a mauser extractor sounds great, until I think about how well even my cheap azzed Savage 22lr's extract. Then I think, have I ever had an issue with extraction on a good bolt action. The answer is yes, but that was a worn out Mossberg Chuckster 640KD my dad gave me. After replacing the extractors and springs, it works flawlessly. The Winchester 320 that I have and my 1949 Winchester model 52 are probably the oldest rifles in my collection, yet they don't and have never had any extraction issues. I'll admit, I love the mauser style claw extractor on my centerfires, but question how much better they are on an 22lr or rimfire rifle...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I didn't mean to imply that a Mauser extractor would be better than the standard rimfire extractor. I was only stating that I thought it was pretty cool they were able to offer a rimfire action modeled after their centerfire actions.
I have had occasions where the standard rimfire extractor failed to extract a fired case and in the case of a Win. 52D chamber, failing to extract an unfired case because it was to tight and the extractor would skip over the rim. Recutting the hook solved that problem.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
I didn't mean to imply that a Mauser extractor would be better than the standard rimfire extractor. I was only stating that I thought it was pretty cool they were able to offer a rimfire action modeled after their centerfire actions.
I have had occasions where the standard rimfire extractor failed to extract a fired case and in the case of a Win. 52D chamber, failing to extract an unfired case because it was to tight and the extractor would skip over the rim. Recutting the hook solved that problem.

Ah, ok. I must be lucky. I don't know how many rounds are on my 1949 Winchester model 52?? It could be as few as a few thousand? It's worked flawlessly though. If the Kimber 82 is anything like the Win 320, it's a hell for stout rimfire, that I don't expect any problems out of. I will keep an eye out for a newer Kimber though. As well as a Cooper, if I can score on one on the cheap!!!

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[quote=K22]As well as a Cooper, if I can score on one on the cheap!!!

You don't see too many cheap Coopers!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have owned an Oregon 82 and two NY K22s, keeping the second K22. I like the action design better on the K22. The magazines on the M82 are a little more reliable. I much prefer the design of the safety and trigger of the NY rifles. I should have kept the first NY rifle but a NIB Oregon rifle came along and I had to try it, the only way to raise the funds was trading the NY gun in. Later on I found another really nice K22 and having decided that I really missed the first one, I bought it. I later sold the 82. Looking back I should have kept it too but I did not
and life doesn't have a reverse gear.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I far prefer the NY rifles. I had a big in with the OR rifles, even had a prototype.
In my opinion and experience the NY rifles are more consistently accurate.

MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have multiples of both. The K22 doesn't have an off set barrel, the bolt body is offset from the chamber so that the firing pin is in the center of the bolt.
The K22 magazines don't feed .22LR smoothly without some tweaking. I think they had someone produce them for them and they just aren't quite the quality of the rest of the guns. 82 and 320 magazines just work with no issues and interchange.
From an accuracy standpoint, they are equal. I've found any differences to be ammo related.
Wood and bluing on the 82's is just excellent, although there were some finish problems with some of the S Series called crazing. Occasionally you'll find an ebony tip that's shrunk and needs refitted.
The 82C's have rubber butt pads that for some reason seem to be failing/disintegrating all about the same time. They need to be stored barrel down with the weight off the pad. The best 82C's are the ones made from left over B actions, they have a one piece bolt handle and one piece trigger guard.
From a collecting standpoint, the higher end 82's are a better investment.

To ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.
NRA Benefactor Member
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by sagerat22
I have multiples of both. The K22 doesn't have an off set barrel, the bolt body is offset from the chamber so that the firing pin is in the center of the bolt.
The K22 magazines don't feed .22LR smoothly without some tweaking.

This is correct. My mistake, yes, the bolt is offset not the barrel.
Knock on wood, so far my 3 K22 Kimbers have not had a feeding problem.

Last edited by K22; 04/01/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have five magazines for mine, some have had problems. It took a little fiddling with the cartridge retaining ears on top and the angle of the follower on one or two. I've had one which repeatedly popped apart where it was staked together; finally fixed it by sitting it on a block of steel and staking the riveted bits better with a punch. The mag that came with the rifle had a burr in the retaining slot that needed filed off, it didn't want to lock into the rifle. They can vary somewhat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,471
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.