Hop To
Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by KC
Checking my digital maps. There's another way around that island, to the East, called Kent Narrows. Appears to be about 200 yards wide. I wonder how high that bridge is? How deep is the water?

I live two or three miles west from the Rt. 50 (an interstate hwy) bridge over the Bay at Kent Island, the next bridge south of the FSK bridge and far north of the next bridge to the south down by Norfolk. Our bridge is four miles long, and the shipping channel underneath it is wide and deep. What you're referring to, Kent Narrows, is the narrow shallow channel of water that separates Kent Island (a damn big island it is) from the land mass of Maryland's Eastern Shore. It isn't navigable by ships. It's the province of sport boats and fishing/crabbing boats. For years the bridge over the Narrows was a drawbridge but is now supplemented by a permanent bridge which isn't very high off the water.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by KC
Also there's the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. I wonder how navigable that is?

35 feet I guess?

Wonder if we'll see a return to lighting ships in harbors by smaller operators then to get them inland?

I kinda doubt that...lightering is THE most expensive way of moving cargo. Ask BP, ARCO, EXXON, ALEYESKA what my company charged them to deliver everything to build the Prudhoe field and pipeline.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by KC
Also there's the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. I wonder how navigable that is?

35 feet I guess?

Wonder if we'll see a return to lighting ships in harbors by smaller operators then to get them inland?

I kinda doubt that...lightering is THE most expensive way of moving cargo. Ask BP, ARCO, EXXON, ALEYESKA what my company charged them to deliver everything to build the Prudhoe field and pipeline.

The alternative would be to shut down the #3 eastern seaport until cleared. It's not IDEAL but Baltimore being closed isn't much of an option either.

Me

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
me too

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by saddlering
Sure seems to be a Hell if alot of accidents now days! Trains derailing, plane problems, not to mention Fires
it kind of makes one Wonder at times that's for sure. but then again there are an awful lot of just stupid people in this world too. and a lot of them stupid people have jobs... that they probably shouldn't have

Last edited by ldholton; 03/26/24.
IC B2

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Breaking - Ship issued a Mayday due to power outage prior to crash, allowing DOT to close bridge B4 collision.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Being reported that the captain sent out a mayday and the bridge got closed to motor vehicle traffic or it would have been a lot worse.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, reported 3 minutes ago .

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RAM

I was typing when you posted, sorry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KC
Checking my digital maps. There's another way around that island, to the East, called Kent Narrows. Appears to be about 200 yards wide. I wonder how high that bridge is? How deep is the water?

Wrong bridge - FSK is (well, was) further north than the Bay Bridge.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
"This once quaint charming area is now a hell of urban/suburban sprawl with attendant traffic nightmares on a good day, and good days are in the rearview mirror now"

Here we have a local, gnoahh, chiming in on my assessment, where I talked about driving through Baltimore in the 18 wheeler, and what a traffic hell hole it was before the bridge collapse.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Fox and CNN keep reporting that two have been recovered from the water, and six are missing.

I dug around and found that there are six construction workers missing. But on top of that there are 7 cars that went in to the water, no telling how many people were in those cars.

Good God had this happened at 8am there would be 200 cars in the water.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The organization that I work for has facilities that regularly use this port. This will make things interesting for a while.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Fox and CNN keep reporting that two have been recovered from the water, and six are missing.

I dug around and found that there are six construction workers missing. But on top of that there are 7 cars that went in to the water, no telling how many people were in those cars.

Good God had this happened at 8am there would be 200 cars in the water.

Not sure the report of cars in the water is accurate.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After we have taken care of the injured, then #1 priority is to open one of those spans of below the bridge to maritime traffic. Just move stuff out of the way and get a slot open so that ships can move between. Then the pressure will be off and we can plan the other operations like how to replace the bridge.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
"Three passenger vehicles, a cement truck and another vehicle have been located in the water using infrared and sonar technology, Baltimore City Fire Chief James Wallace told CNN."

That would be a bad way to die.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Clearly, the only thing to do is send another $60 billion to Ukraine.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
ATTENTION

We can't spend our $$$$$ on bridge upkeep! Those $$$$$ must go to Ukraine!!

The Putin Pufters psychosis is on full display. Some of them blame Ukraine for evey thing wrong in their lives.

From the video it looks like they got the traffic stopped before the ship hit.

Wonder how long to get the channel open with all that metal/roadway on the bottom?

Is the ship in danger of sinking?

Is Mayor Pete back on maternity leave?

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Tragic, prayers sent.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by RAM

I was typing when you posted, sorry

How dare you try to out report a newshound.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mayor Pete is on the way---

Pete Buttigieg is heading to Baltimore today
From CNN's Kaitlan Collins

US Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg is heading to Baltimore today, a staff member with the agency confirmed to CNN.

Buttigieg spoke to Maryland Gov. Wes Moore and Baltimore Mayor Brandon M. Scott following the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge, according to a post from the secretary on X.

"Rescue efforts remain underway and drivers in the Baltimore area should follow local responder guidance on detours and response," Buttigieg wrote.

Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 60 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,549
Posts18,472,957
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.