Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It is a disaster no matter how you look at it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Does anyone know if this is the first time that a major U.S. port has been blocked by debris?

For instance I know that the Coronado Bridge in San Diego is built out of box sections (I actually was able to walk through them on a tour once). The rumor is that the box sections (with dogged bulkhead doors) were so designed because in the event of a bridge failure, the sections could be towed out of the way. 32nd street Naval Base is inside the bridge.

I forget the real reason for the box sections, given on the tour, but it was not because they would float. Maybe they would break up in a way so as to not impede navigation???

Likely built that way for earthquake damage mitigation. It's a whole lot easier, faster, and more economical to replace a section or two than an entire bridge.

I think you are right. Something about how a box section handles P waves and S-waves.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Mayor Pete is on the way---
Thank you Jesus. The adults are now in charge.(sarc)

Pete's running late. Some late morning spooning with his husband.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Damn shame we have a mentally ill Pete in charge of this. I feel sorry for those 2 babies they adopted their minds will be warped at and early age. Should be a law against queers adopting kids.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Does anyone know if this is the first time that a major U.S. port has been blocked by debris?

For instance I know that the Coronado Bridge in San Diego is built out of box sections (I actually was able to walk through them on a tour once). The rumor is that the box sections (with dogged bulkhead doors) were so designed because in the event of a bridge failure, the sections could be towed out of the way. 32nd street Naval Base is inside the bridge.

I forget the real reason for the box sections, given on the tour, but it was not because they would float. Maybe they would break up in a way so as to not impede navigation???

Likely built that way for earthquake damage mitigation. It's a whole lot easier, faster, and more economical to replace a section or two than an entire bridge.

I think you are right. Something about how a box section handles P waves and S-waves.
We always built box bridges in 40' sections. I don't know all the science behind it, but I was told it was because of earthquakes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Clearly, the only thing to do is send another $60 billion to Ukraine.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
ATTENTION

We can't spend our $$$$$ on bridge upkeep! Those $$$$$ must go to Ukraine!!

The Putin Pufters psychosis is on full display. Some of them blame Ukraine for evey thing wrong in their lives.

From the video it looks like they got the traffic stopped before the ship hit.

Wonder how long to get the channel open with all that metal/roadway on the bottom?

Is the ship in danger of sinking?

Is Mayor Pete back on maternity leave?
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I doubt the ship is in danger of sinking. It's likely a double hull with a crash bulkhead and good compartmentalization to prevent progressive flooding.

Thanks Coastie.

They sure seem fast to claim it was just an accident. It probably was a mishap but if someone had done sabotage would this not be a predictable result of losing steerage/power while upstream of the bridge?

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ATTENTION

The Putin Pufters psychosis is on full display. Some of them blame Ukraine for evey thing wrong in their lives.

Wonder how long to get the channel open with all that metal/roadway on the bottom?

I doubt the ship is in danger of sinking. It's likely a double hull with a crash bulkhead and good compartmentalization to prevent progressive flooding.

Thanks Coastie.

They sure seem fast to claim it was just an accident. It probably was a mishap but if someone had done sabotage would this not be a predictable result of losing steerage/power while upstream of the bridge?

John, I am too far removed from that aspect of shipping to be able to give a qualified answer.

Shooting from the hip, I think it would be very hard for an outsider to sabotage the ship in a way that the sabotage wouldn't become apparent until that point in their voyage. Internal sabotage? Possible I suppose, but still shooting from the hip. I have a hunch that angle will be well investigated.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teal
Frank Sobotka gonna get laid off.

Major impacts I'd think to the port of Baltimore from a freight perspective.

Not many on here will get that one. Not exactly the Group that would like the Bunk or McNolte

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ATTENTION

Thanks Coastie.

Well, i you read some threads or watched some news you would know why it was an accident.

But no, come here and push conspiracy.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 007FJ
Originally Posted by Teal
Frank Sobotka gonna get laid off.

Major impacts I'd think to the port of Baltimore from a freight perspective.

Not many on here will get that one. Not exactly the Group that would like the Bunk or McNolte

I think they'd like Bunk - if exposed to it. lol.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
Norfolk/Hampton Roads/Portsmouth going to be wide open I suppose.
Savannah too I guess.

Savannah been growing like a mo'fo. If anyone can take on the extra volume, it's them. From an attitude perspective.

Me

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wonder when the full on conspiracies will start and why Q didn't warn us?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You guys are missing the elephant in the room.

Ok the lights went out, supposedly the ship lost control, ok fine, but…

Why was this ship being steered so close to the support in the first place. Why wasn’t this ship being steered dead center between the two supports from the get go.

There was no reason for this ship to be piloted this close to the support when there was schit tons of room available.

This was intensional

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by steve4102

Why was this ship being steered so close to the support in the first place. Why wasn’t this ship being steered dead center between the two supports from the get go.

There was no reason for this ship to be piloted this close to the support when there was schit tons of room available.

This was intensional
I am not familiar with the area, but I’ve rarely encountered a river channel elsewhere that ran a straight line.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Correct! We once had some bad flood damaged main arteries locally. I was instructed to “Get them open!” No permits, no erosion control, nothing but “Open the damned roads!!!”

2010 flood the one that trashed Opryland, right?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This was intensional

It's hard to tell from the video, but the initial power failure occurred while the vessel was still a considerable distance from the bridge. If they had a little rudder on, that could have put their trajectory into the bridge.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

This was intensional

It's hard to tell from the video, but the initial power failure occurred while the vessel was still a considerable distance from the bridge. If they had a little rudder on, that could have put their trajectory into the bridge.

And I'm sure, as reported, they also had to clear other vessel traffic prior to - means they're not dead nuts middle of the road.

Me

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I appreciate the clear headed comments and link from Teal, Gnoahh, and some others. I've been over the Key Bridge a couple of times and appreciate Gnoahh's trepidation on the crossing. As on our Mackinac Bridge (da Bridge) the driver doesn't get to admire the adjacent views.

Regardless of whether the Dali is diesel, diesel electric, or steam turbine electric powered, the propulsion, rudder, and bow thruster controls from the bridge would be electrical/electronic and subject to failure from the two apparent power outages. Both indicators and control devices for propulsion and steering would malfunction.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
The real takeaway from this is that, sheit breaks, things go wrong, and you can't do anything about it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I just took an advanced maritime navigation/chart plotting course in addition to my USCG 100T Masters license and the charts we used in both classes are the Chesapeake Bay charts “frozen in time” by the USCG. It can be a complicated area to navigate even without vessel traffic. I first thought that the ship either lost power or it was intentional but I’m glad that it wasn’t intentional. Accidents happen unfortunately and maritime disasters often lead to better regulations in an attempt to avoid repeating the error chain that led to something like this.

The NTSB and USCG reports will be interesting…

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ATTENTION

Thanks Coastie.

Originally Posted by RAM
Well, i you read some threads or watched some news you would know why it was an accident.

But no, come here and push conspiracy.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (450yukon, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 14 invisible), 1,698 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,379
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.