R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Clearly, the only thing to do is send another $60 billion to Ukraine.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
ATTENTION

We can't spend our $$$$$ on bridge upkeep! Those $$$$$ must go to Ukraine!!

The Putin Pufters psychosis is on full display. Some of them blame Ukraine for evey thing wrong in their lives.

From the video it looks like they got the traffic stopped before the ship hit.

Wonder how long to get the channel open with all that metal/roadway on the bottom?

Is the ship in danger of sinking?

Is Mayor Pete back on maternity leave?
I doubt the ship is in danger of sinking. It's likely a double hull with a crash bulkhead and good compartmentalization to prevent progressive flooding.

Thanks Coastie.

They sure seem fast to claim it was just an accident. It probably was a mishap but if someone had done sabotage would this not be a predictable result of losing steerage/power while upstream of the bridge?

John, I am too far removed from that aspect of shipping to be able to give a qualified answer.

Shooting from the hip, I think it would be very hard for an outsider to sabotage the ship in a way that the sabotage wouldn't become apparent until that point in their voyage. Internal sabotage? Possible I suppose, but still shooting from the hip. I have a hunch that angle will be well investigated.

https://x.com/jordan_sather_/status/1772634611736007027?s=46

Anyone know why or how a larger container ship can lose power and lose steering capabilities??

No immediate gen back up

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by robthom
Curious, as a structural engineer ( but not bridges).

Do US major bridges have protective impact defences like

r.c. enlarged landing bases around bridge support piers,

lit up like Christmas trees and

buoys/ channel markers etc.?

I know the sunshine skyway has them.. After it got hit and killed a lot of people.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by steve4102
You guys are missing the elephant in the room.

Ok the lights went out, supposedly the ship lost control, ok fine, but…

Why was this ship being steered so close to the support in the first place. Why wasn’t this ship being steered dead center between the two supports from the get go.

There was no reason for this ship to be piloted this close to the support when there was schit tons of room available.

This was intensional

And “t” wept.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What a horrific nightmare for all involved! I saw three vehicles, one a semi, make it over that bridge before the collision! Terrible rescue scenario too, and the recovery is going to be ugly!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Correct! We once had some bad flood damaged main arteries locally. I was instructed to “Get them open!” No permits, no erosion control, nothing but “Open the damned roads!!!”

2010 flood the one that trashed Opryland, right?
That would be the one. I’ve seen it rain, but never saw anything like that!

Last edited by gregintenn; 03/26/24.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Buckle your seatbelts, men. I fear this is but the first of many 2024 catastrophes awaiting the US.

Stolen elections and corrupt leaders bring consequences.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/live/MIyJgN0NYhs?si=RzUTuF8UDKS67BlL[/video]

Intensional, watch the video

Last edited by steve4102; 03/26/24.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Looks like it takes about 50 seconds to cross the entire bridge. And the crash happened at 2:49ish in the video. That's enough time to empty the bridge three times in just the time it took to film this video. And the ship hailed mayday and indicated a possible collision before this video. Even if it was just 10 minutes before the start of this video, that's enough time for authorities to block entrance to the bridge on both sides. While the ship is clearly at fault, I have to place additional blame on the port authority for continuing to allow vehicles to cross the bridge.

The person who asked about bridge design, some locations do require piles or other abutments in front of bridge piers, mostly for erosion/ice control, but also boats. A collision with a cargo ship of this size is significantly beyond any possible design requirement for a bridge support. The mass of the bridge and all the cars on it, probably isn't even as much as the mass of the engine, and just the engine - on the ship. The bridge didn't stand a chance.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 03/26/24.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"And the ship hailed mayday and indicated a possible collision before this video. Even if it was just 10 minutes before the start of this video, that's enough time for authorities to block entrance to the bridge on both sides. While the ship is clearly at fault, I have to place additional blame on the port authority for continuing to allow vehicles to cross the bridge."

That assumes assets in place[on the ready] to block both directions.

We're talking about a .gov entity here.

FJB & FJT
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/live/MIyJgN0NYhs?si=RzUTuF8UDKS67BlL[/video]

Intensional, watch the video
First off, you should really learn to spell “intentional”.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
You guys are missing the elephant in the room.

Ok the lights went out, supposedly the ship lost control, ok fine, but…

Why was this ship being steered so close to the support in the first place. Why wasn’t this ship being steered dead center between the two supports from the get go.

There was no reason for this ship to be piloted this close to the support when there was schit tons of room available.

This was intensional

It's hard to tell from the video, but the initial power failure occurred while the vessel was still a considerable distance from the bridge. If they had a little rudder on, that could have put their trajectory into the bridge.

And I'm sure, as reported, they also had to clear other vessel traffic prior to - means they're not dead nuts middle of the road.

Taint Steve's MO to let pragmatism, facts and experience get in the way of his beliefs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I saw several explosions on several different videos from several different angles so I’m withholding my opinion…

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Raeford
"And the ship hailed mayday and indicated a possible collision before this video. Even if it was just 10 minutes before the start of this video, that's enough time for authorities to block entrance to the bridge on both sides. While the ship is clearly at fault, I have to place additional blame on the port authority for continuing to allow vehicles to cross the bridge."

That assumes assets in place[on the ready] to block both directions.

We're talking about a .gov entity here.
Most bridges don’t have a traffic control crew at the ready on either end a 2 in the morning.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I like the reporter that ask the question . . . . . . . . ."Was this a structural integrity problem with the bridge?" . . . . . . . . .WTF, Dumbass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I saw several explosions on several different videos from several different angles so I’m withholding my opinion…

Looked like tranformers poppin to my untrained eye and I bet there were a few power lines running in the bridge.

Any way, the NTSB has not yet been aboard the ship per presser a few minutes ago.

I wish I had the hind sight to start a bridge building company in Baltimore a few weeks ago. Suppressor are kinda going bonkers but I bet emergency bridge building is quite lucrative.

There will be more than one billionare made rebuilding that bridge and Biden has promised the Spice will flow.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maritime job placement company BalticShipping shows the captain of the container ship is a Ukranian.
[img]https://assets.zerohedge.com/s3fs-p...es/2024-03-26_14-16-56.png?itok=0uE6kh_o[/img]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Looked like tranformers poppin to my untrained eye and I bet there were a few power lines running in the bridge.

Any way, the NTSB has not yet been aboard the ship per presser a few minutes ago.

I wish I had the hind sight to start a bridge building company in Baltimore a few weeks ago. Suppressor are kinda going bonkers but I bet emergency bridge building is quite lucrative.

There will be more than one billionare made rebuilding that bridge and Biden has promised the Spice will flow.
No fuggin way I’m driving over a bridge you had anything to do with building!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mirage243
I like the reporter that ask the question . . . . . . . . ."Was this a structural integrity problem with the bridge?" . . . . . . . . .WTF, Dumbass.
Impact exceeded design specs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Morewood
Maritime job placement company BalticShipping shows the captain of the container ship is a Ukranian.
[img]https://assets.zerohedge.com/s3fs-p...es/2024-03-26_14-16-56.png?itok=0uE6kh_o[/img]

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Are you thinking CGI or the Rothschilds?

Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,230 guests, and 1,398 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,214
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.