Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The road to my place is a mutha fugger. Every set of tires I’ve ever seen traverse the path, even with brand new tires, comes back the first trip with chunks, cuts, or damage of some sort. This is regardless of street, mudders, or A/T’s. The last set I used was a set of Toyo Open Country AT3, I got 25K out of them.

Just for chits, I went to the Michelin Defender LTX MS2. Upon return of my 16th trip, not a scratch. Mine are an XL load running 29lbs.

Bizarrely over the years every flat or ripped sidewall was on an LT with more plys and especially MT’s where a piece of flint cuts in between the lugs.

Its flint, limestone, gravel comprising both, and bowling ball to basketball sized boulders comprising both. I noticed the treadwear number is “820”. I don’t know how in the hell they do it but so far tough as nails.

I’ve watched other tires get ate up or sliced through regardless of what they are.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 03/26/24.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not surprised. Michelin doesn't market like the others. But no joke:

I've seen 35 inch Michelins balance with less than a 1/4 oz of wheel weight per tire

Tires that looked "mundane", cleared mud at less than 5 mph.

I ran Michelins on a lifted/locked HDJ 81 landcruiser.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a set of MS2’s waiting for me at my tire store for install tomorrow. 295/70-18’s. Done with the 20’s on my truck, going back to my old wheels and 18’s.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Michelin Defenders are on a every vehicle we own. I’m an avid reader of Consumer Reports and Michelin tires are always rated #1 or #2 overall.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had them on several SUVs and they were always top-notch for ride/noise and durability.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe just a touch more sideways slip while climbing wet rock. Mud isn’t a factor for me because the mudholes are scattered with flint and other rock so you won’t sink to the frame. Also with this environment the last thing you wanna do is spin the tires up to clear them because you are likely to rip a hole in them.

They seem to climb about as well as MT’s where I go. Tire flex matters more than tread in my opinion.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 03/27/24.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Had Defenders on my 4Runner, have them on the wife's Outback, and will have them on my F150 when it's time.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Back in January on a cow elk in NM, we spent a couple of days sightseeing the ranch as we killed our cows early in the hunt. Two identical pickups, both F-350 long beds, 20" tires. My buddy was running a very popular, well known, and fairly aggressive AT tire. I'm running Defender MS2's.

Every steep draw we came out of I watched him in 4wd spin all four tires, throw rocks, slide, etc. getting up the hill. The same places I climbed out with barely a spin.......often in 2wd

Bill

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Its a bizarre deal for sure. I actually get the most slip (not much) in freshly wet city streets. More than other AT’s I’ve used. Maybe the 820 Tread rating ?

I’m one of those guys that pushes things once in a while, I tried pushing a screwdriver through the Ms2 and it wouldn’t go but pushed it right into a Nitto Ridge Grappler.

They make you rethink conventional thinking especially concerning the extra sidewall tread and rim protector features.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 03/30/24.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yall made me look these MS 2 up, I thought they would be the greatest thing since sliced bread, these would work out on my wife’s Grand Wagoneer , it’s all wheel, 4 wheel drive, but here on ranch those tires wouldn’t get out of drive way, I have the biggest 35” muds on my Power Wagon, and feed trk, not laughing at Michelin at all, but come on!

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by tx270
Back in January on a cow elk in NM, we spent a couple of days sightseeing the ranch as we killed our cows early in the hunt. Two identical pickups, both F-350 long beds, 20" tires. My buddy was running a very popular, well known, and fairly aggressive AT tire. I'm running Defender MS2's.

Every steep draw we came out of I watched him in 4wd spin all four tires, throw rocks, slide, etc. getting up the hill. The same places I climbed out with barely a spin.......often in 2wd

Bill

Maybe next time you break trail. wink

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Angus55
Yall made me look these MS 2 up, I thought they would be the greatest thing since sliced bread, these would work out on my wife’s Grand Wagoneer , it’s all wheel, 4 wheel drive, but here on ranch those tires wouldn’t get out of drive way, I have the biggest 35” muds on my Power Wagon, and feed trk, not laughing at Michelin at all, but come on!

Lol, there’s only one way to know for sure.

I’ll tell ya, this goes way back but I think this might be a thing. Couple guys I used to work with swore by them also. One was non stop in hunting and rodeo scene and other was ex gm parts guy liked his big fifth wheel and boat life. So bit of a mix. You’ve spent money on worse things so see if Johnny really is loco lol...personally I think he is.

Now we had set of those thrown on an older ranger for my kids first truck here and then bought some used winters online in good shape and these defender ltx ms went back on after first drive in the snow, no comparison lol. So maybe there is something to this?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I’m only concerned with the abrasion resistance on my specific route. I have a particular 5 mile stretch going in that starts eating other tires on the first trip. My last set which were Toyo Open Country 3 AT lasted better than any other tire and they were about shot at 17k but I kept pushing them.

I’m a big fan of the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT and Cooper SST Max for all round tire but suffer the same fate on this trail.

The softest ride on this particular stretch were General Grabber AT3 but they suffered the same fate. The MS2 Defender does ride pretty good over this stretch of trail.

I’d love to try the Toyo M-55 but they are too rich for my blood

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/01/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Installed mine this weekend. Initial impressions are great. Very smooth and quiet. My truck doesn't see much off roading and is a daily driver. For playing in the mud, I have this.................

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I totally understand using a street tire that has thick ply tire and high side walls, nothing eats tires up like rock roads, but for mud and snow and any kind of clay, you have to have big self cleaning lugs, like I said I will remember this tire for car, we drive as much on dirt as pavement.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I'm a rancher too, but admittedly we are in somewhat rocky country maybe compared to you. I can see where they wouldn't work in boggy country.

That said, mine see a lot of rough gravel roads. It's 1 1/2 miles one way of gravel ranch road to the house alone, my tires don't have a single chip one in them...

Bill

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I totally understand using a street tire that has thick ply tire and high side walls, nothing eats tires up like rock roads, but for mud and snow and any kind of clay, you have to have big self cleaning lugs, like I said I will remember this tire for car, we drive as much on dirt as pavement.

Thats my point, thick plys and extra rubber on the sidewalls is absolutely meaningless for my circumstances

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Trip 22, a few small cuts that resemble a sipe but no chunks or pieces missing.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Trip 22, a few small cuts that resemble a sipe but no chunks or pieces missing.

Did find a nasty cut completely through the lug and into tire a bit on my gator using maxxis big horns.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Trip 31, one small nick looks like a sipe

Thinking about shooting one of these tires to see what happens

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 10Glocks, 35, 1OntarioJim, 12 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,122
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.