-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
Just bought a vx3 4.5-14x50 30mm tube. Going in a rem 700 bdl stainless. Wondering if anyone has used the Talley lw or leupold backcountry ring mounts on something similar. Assuming I’ll need the highs? Want the scope as low as possible. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What thread size do you have in your receiver?

L
OP Offline
L
Should be the standard 6-48

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lmbunch69
Should be the standard 6-48

Reason I asked is that I accidentally ordered some 8-40 Talley's. I was going to send them to you gratis. They are low, but I have found Talley's run high. Medium Talleys should be no problem with a 50mm objective on a hunting contour barrel. Lows might even work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2nd vote for believing mediums would/should work.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
50mm objective with a 30mm tube. I could be wrong, but I don't think medium will work with that combo. I'd call Talley and ask their advice.

But I've used both Talley and Leupold Back Country rings and like them.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
L
OP Offline
L
I know the only answer is to order both and see. I have a set of the mediums on a Bergara action heavy barrel with a 40mm objective and if my measurements are right, I’d have about 2mm clearance with the 50mm. I think I’ll be pushing it though.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I use Talley’s bases, medium rings with 50mm scopes on 700’s

Last edited by hanco; 03/25/24.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Talley LW’s lows will work up to 44mm objective.
Mediums will work on your 50 mm very well. I use alot of them myself…… good shooting Sir. If your rifle is a LA then the offset version will give you more latitude on your eye relief.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by CaveTrout
Talley LW’s lows will work up to 44mm objective.
Mediums will work on your 50 mm very well. I use alot of them myself…… good shooting Sir. If your rifle is a LA then the offset version will give you more latitude on your eye relief.

It is a long action in 7 rm. was wondering about the offset ones as the front part of the scope tube is pretty short. Thanks!

IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Yes they are kinda short…… but the offset solves all that. Some here are a bit down on those rings. Not sure why…… they have worked out great for me on 20+ installs. Best of luck on your project!
Cheers, CaveTrout

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've yet to see a Reupold 4.5-14x of any flavor,that was worth a fhuqk. LW's like to Puke.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Reupold BC's are vastly superior. Hint.

In fairness however,the Reupold 4.5-14's are handy for some things. Hint.

Just sayin'...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Plenty of rust, Afro Ghetto Gold Cheap Pain Job that is falling off....

And yet you feel free to give people advise on how to take care of their rifles, and what is the latest greatest to YOU, which you'll call Dog Schittt next month.. Did I miss anything?

Ain't easy being Schtick, is it Stumpy?

Have a great day Stumpy and give my regards to Hutch....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll feign my GREAT "surprise!",that a CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Brokedick Schit,continues to "live" vicariously. Hint.

Do not "forget",that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery,as you set astride your Couchbound Kchunt. Hint.

Perhaps some day,you will be able to kill a Spike by yourself,rather than run like the bitch you are to a phone,to call a bullet Manufacturer,as your victim lingers over night and steaks swelter. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
S
Go with the DNZ 1 pc mount, med 30mm. It will sit it right on the barrel with a 50mm. In fact, I have that exact setup I am not using.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The DNZ bane and especially in 1pc,is the trite ring spacing,which is hard on scopes. While a far better options than LW's,they still pale,due that spacing and the single cap fastener. Hint.

Just sayin'...................

L
OP Offline
L
Ordered some high leupold backcountrys. Looking at the numbers, they are actually a little lower than Talley mediums. Thanks for the responses guys.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That they are. Hint.

Reupold BC High's here on a 50mm with BC's on an OEM Montucky contour,which is more svelte than a 700. Hint.

Just sayin'.................

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had that scope with 1” tube mounted on a Ruger 7mm & in LW’s on a Howa 25-06with lots of clearance. I’m thinking with the 30 mm you’ll be able to use mediums.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I agree with Cavetrout 30mm rings run higher then 1" rings. for the same medium to medium. One piece Talleys set to far forward for the front mount for me. I can use them on a short action 700 but a long action I usually can't pull the scope back far enough with the 1 piece Talley mounts. So either a 1 piece picanty style base or a 2 piece extension type base. Weaver/warne/leupold all make a 2 piece weaver style with a front extension style base. One piece is possibly more stable but I like the wide open ejection port the 2 piece gives.

I walk around like I'm ok, but deep down inside, I wanna buy another gun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,697
Posts18,475,205
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.