24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Dear Gentlemen:

I recently completed building a custom rifle on a commercial 98 mauser action in .30-06 Ackley; this is the double square bridge action originally imported by Legacy Sports International.

My problem is that every now and then the firing pin will indent the primer, but will not fire the cartridge. When I rechamber the round, typically it will fire. I do not think this is a primer problem, or a primer seating problem. I reload for all my rifles and do not have this problem with any other rifles and have been using the same batch of CCI 200 large rifle primers. I believe that the problem is a weak firing pin spring. The rifle makes a dull thud when I have dry fired it, versus a more powerful sound coming from my other bolt rifles.

My question is, which poundage of spring should I use for a replacement. Brownells sells four different weight springs, 22, 24, 26 and 30 lb. Wolff springs. The gunsmith at Brownells tech support wasn't really willing to recommend a weight, but said that the standard weight was shown to be 19lbs and thought that any of the springs would be satisfactory. I would think that lock time would be best with the strongest spring, but am I overlooking anything, perhaps other than the pain in the fanny of installing a 30 lb. spring?

Thank you for any input,

NCBullshooter

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
reckon you could call a tech at brownells?

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had to go to a 22 lb. or 24 lb. spring (I forget which) on one of my Mexican Mausers to get reliable ignition. We never could figure out why this was necessary. Both the gunsmith and I completely stripped the bolt and measured and cleaned everything. There were no significant differences between the dimensions of the bolt and components on this rifle and those of two other rifles that worked fine with the 19# springs.

There are at least a half dozen 'smiths here on the fire that could probably figure this out for you...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My opinion is the 24lb spring. 30 is unneccessary. Most bolt guns are in the low 20 range.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would be for checking the chamber first. Setting back your shoulders a little too far or having a sloppy chamber could easily give you enough headspace slop to cause an occasional misfire...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

OP Offline
Thank you fellas,

I think that a stronger spring should give more positive ignition and should improve locktime. The firing pin strike on this mauser sounds very soft.

Sitka Deer, your suggestion about checking the chamber is very good advice because I failed to mention in my post that the misfires I've had were all during fireforming new .30-06 brass to .30-06 Ackley Improved and I bet that the difference in the shoulder dimensions could be causing an occasional misfire.

I'm going to order a new 24 lb. spring because I would like a more positive and quicker strike, but I bet the occasional ignition problem is related more to the case differences while fireforming.

Thanks again for the suggestions,

NCBullshooter

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
i thought a crush fit was standard for the AI chamber and a standard case?

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The crush fit is a necessity and if you don't have it with a standard cartridge you will have excessive headspace and it will cause misfires.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well, there ya go, nc.
hope yer mauser ends up doing well for you.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Might I suggest that you remove the action from the stock, and try again?
Bolt handle clearance is a common problem on "new" sproters, as it will hold the bolt slightly out of alignment causing the FP to hang up slightly inside the bolt.
Another place to check clearances is the "fingernail" cut in the tang.
Did your smith replace the bolt handle, and if so did he get the handle root block in the correct location?
Over rotation of the bolt can also cause this problem, but is less common than under rotation.
IOW, changing the spring might hide the symptom, but not cure the root problem.

IC B3

OP Offline
Thanks again all.

Regarding the question of "a crush fit" in the chamber...honestly I don't know, but the gunsmith who installed and chambered the Douglas barrel is very experienced and another custom riflesmith who I showed some fireformed cases thought that they had formed correctly. The gun is shooting sub 1", with several 3/4" and 5/8" groups, while fireforming the first 50 rounds of brass, so I'm thinking that the chamber was cut correctly. It has only misfired on two rounds, but they were in the last five rounds I shot. (The first range session I shot 25 rounds with no misfires. A few weeks later during the second range session I shot another 25 rounds with 2 misfires in the last five shots.)

Regarding the bolt handle, the action is a new commercial mauser action and the bolt is one-piece from the factory, not a welded on handle, and there have been no alterations to the bolt other than lapping the locking lugs and squaring the bolt face. I re-checked the bolt clearance in the stock and the bolt seems to be closing completely and bottoming into the bolt cut-out in the action, nor is it binding at all front to back.

I'm hoping that the problem is simply a weak spring.

Thanks again for the input and if anyone's interested, here's a picture of the rifle. Other than this misfire glitch I'm pleased with it, I did all of the work myself except for installing the barrel (I lapped the lugs, squared the bolt face, polished the rails, jeweled the bolt, finished inletting the stock, pillar bedded the action and free-floated the barrel, blasted all the metal and coated it with Duracoat and coated the stock with Duracoat also, brown with black specks, and installed the recoil pad. .30-06 AI; Legacy Sports 98M Action made in Italy, 3-pos. safety, 5 round magazine, 23" Douglas #2 Contour, 2.5# trigger, Bansner stock, 1" Decelerator, Talley bases and rings, Sightron 3-9 x 40; Weighs 8.8 lbs.)

[Linked Image]

Best regards,

NCBullshooter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The more info you post the less inclined I am to believe it is the spring... Get a chamber cast to find out just how generous your chamber is. As a bettin' man I would say it is slightly generous and a field gauge will probably not go, but a no-go might...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
OP Offline
Sitka Deer,

Thanks for your expertise. If the chamber is slightly generous, do you think that it would still be a problem when I begin shooting fireformed brass? Or would it only be a problem during fireforming?

Thanks again,

NCBullshooter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It would only be a problem when fireforming or if you resize your brass a bit too much. I have a Whelen AI with "generous" headspace and it simply means I have to pay a bit more attention...

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Nice rifle - too bad it's acting up. Have you stripped the bolt and checked the innards for burrs or excess lubricant? It seems obvious, but sometimes it's the culprit.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NCBS, who built your rifle?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

OP Offline
Hillbilly Bear,

Fred Cianciolo in Simpsonville, SC (gun-shop.biz) squared the action face and installed and chambered the barrel. I had squared the bolt face, lapped the lugs and smoothed the rails before delivering the action and barrel to him. All of the other stock work and metal finishing I did myself.

thanks,

NCBullshooter

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If chambered correctly, a true AI rifle should fire factory ammo. I'd definitely have that checked. Talk to the smith. There are variations in gauges and factory cases, but usuall not to that extent. Typically, the NO-GO gauge is what is used for the GO gauge in chambering AI's.

If you don't want to talk to go back to the smith about it, then seat the bullets into the lands with a mid-range charge and fireform away. Like Sitka said...it's only a problem with the fireforming. After that, just be sure you aren't pushing the shoulder back when re-sizing your reloads.

Steve

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
AI
"Typically, the NO-GO gauge is what is used for the GO gauge in chambering AI's."

Actually the AI chamber is supposed to be a touch shorter than the parent. As the No-go is longer than the Go gauge, I think your statement is incorrect.
art

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You're correct. It's the opposite.. The standard GO is the NO-GO in AI's...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (117LBS, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 50 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,920
Posts18,518,786
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.