Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kaleb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Sorry if this has been beat to death but what is the best or some of the better ways to clean the rimfire cans?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't do a lot with mine. Mostly just open them up and break the baffles free every 1000 rds or so. Might spray some solvent and wipe them down if they have a lot of buildup. Otherwise just making sure nothing gets welded together.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
K
Kaleb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thank you.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I disassemble put it in my Hornady ultrasonic cleaner turn the heat on warm the CLR up put the parts in the solution for about 10 minutes take out wipe off put back together fast and simple

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Do not buy a rimfire can that does not come apart for cleaning is #1 on the list

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How does CLR work on the lead deposits? Tried Purple Power in my ultrasonic cleaner but it didn’t do much. I also tried soda blasting but that lead is tough!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
For me, I soak the baffles in slip 2000 carbon killer for a day or so. That gets a bulk of everything off. Then in the ultra sonic cleaner a few rounds with some simple green. Some very light pic or brush work and its almost as good as new. I did try the brake fluid treatment afterwards but haven't disassembled since I did it to see how things are. Supposed to make them easier to clean.

Here's a link about that treatment

https://web.archive.org/web/20161104063835/http://www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ultra sonic in purple cleaner then scrape the thick bits with a dental pick. I tried spraying the insides with One Shot this time to see if it helps.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
I have one in the ultrasonic bath right now. Baffles are stuck. Gonna soak it in hoppes tonight, back in the bath tomorrow.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a suppressor that I can open up and disassemble. I just throw the baffles in my SS tumbler and they come out clean as new.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tmitch
How does CLR work on the lead deposits? Tried Purple Power in my ultrasonic cleaner but it didn’t do much. I also tried soda blasting but that lead is tough!

CLR works well but like anything that dissolves the fouling it should be treated as a toxic substance. The lead is much easier to absorb through your skin than in a solid form.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by tmitch

CLR works well but like anything that dissolves the fouling it should be treated as a toxic substance. The lead is much easier to absorb through your skin than in a solid form.

You mean like "The Dip"? (50/50 mixture of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide) Harmless until it dissolves the lead and becomes lead acetate.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
A gun shop and indoor range (Rifle Gear in Dallas, TX) recommended this stuff: SchlecTek Suppressor Cleaning Solution. The website says, "SchleTek Suppressor Cleaner Evolution is environmentally friendly, water soluble, and has been positively tested for compatibility of materials. Due to its special pH-neutral formula it does not harm any surfaces and is suitable for all materials and coatings, including Cerakote™." They also state their solution can also be used in ultrasonic cleaners.

The gun shop rents machine guns and suppressors, and their gunsmith uses it extensively. The sales guy said it was like magic in a bottle, for cleaning suppressors, but cautioned that it stinks to high heaven.

I bought a bottle, and I can confirm the foul smell. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, though. I need to pick a nice day and leave it outside to soak.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
A gun shop and indoor range (Rifle Gear in Dallas, TX) recommended this stuff: SchlecTek Suppressor Cleaning Solution. The website says, "SchleTek Suppressor Cleaner Evolution is environmentally friendly, water soluble, and has been positively tested for compatibility of materials. Due to its special pH-neutral formula it does not harm any surfaces and is suitable for all materials and coatings, including Cerakote™." They also state their solution can also be used in ultrasonic cleaners.

The gun shop rents machine guns and suppressors, and their gunsmith uses it extensively. The sales guy said it was like magic in a bottle, for cleaning suppressors, but cautioned that it stinks to high heaven.

I bought a bottle, and I can confirm the foul smell. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, though. I need to pick a nice day and leave it outside to soak.
Dan, how can I access their web site in "gringo"? laugh

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
It shows up in English for me, right out of the gate, but I noticed there are a couple of small flags at the top of the web page. Click on the English flag, and see if that translates it for you.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 52 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,673
Posts18,474,828
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.