Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big fan of Conway.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Harold Jenkens, A sergeant at Fort Sill told us Conway went through training there, but that was not his real name.

He played a lot at the Cobblestone Ballroom, he sang a lot of country, but as kids, we wanted rock.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
back in the day, Twitty styled himself as a rock and roll singer. He was on tour in 1959, and played at the Osceola High School gym in Kissimmee FL. I was there and it was a pretty decent show. It's Only Make Believe was in the mix.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
That’s My Job…. One of my favorite country music songs.

Conway was in the latter portion of his career when I was growing up so he had country legend emeritus status established at the point and this was released in ‘87 when I was 11.

I could completely relate to the point of view in the lyrics as they describe my dad very well and even hearing it just know I can recall being a boy who had a superhero for a dad. Damn, these allergies…..

Marvelous song.

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Too dang many to list for me. We usually had something with an 8 track tape player, and Conway was another of my Parents favorites. I wasn’t a fan at first, but now I love his music.
He was offered a contract with either the Reds or the Phillies, but turned it down to pursue a career as a singer!

I Don’t Know A Thing About Love

The Clown

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Too dang many to list for me. We usually had something with an 8 track tape player, and Conway was another of my Parents favorites. I wasn’t a fan at first, but now I love his music.
He was offered a contract with either the Reds or the Phillies, but turned it down to pursue a career as a singer!

I Don’t Know A Thing About Love

The Clown
I heard it was the Phillies hell his batting average was over .400

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
His grandson and Lorettas' granddaughter teamed up and tour the country with a tribute show.
Plenty of videos on You Tube.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by WileyC
What a legend this man is! Working in Hemphill, Texas in the mid 70s I ate in Twitty's Restaurant nearly every day for the few weeks that I was there. In the foyer there was a huge portrait of Conway.

I hunt about 30 miles south in Weirgate. I wonder if restaurant is still there?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Glen Templeton sounds just like him, going to see him April 20 at 2920 Roadhouse just west of Tomball

Last edited by hanco; 03/27/24.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I was R&R only up until I met my future wife.

Her Nana had raised her on Conway, Loretta, Tammy, George etc

I liked this 'older' country.

Wish that we would have seen Conway & Loretta together, never did but we saw Conway every time he played close by.

Those older women would completely lose their minds when he stepped out onto the stage.

FJB & FJT
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I worked with a lady who’s boyfriend had won a couple sound alike contests, but I never got to meet him. Carol and I listened to Conway, Ben as a teenager just rolled his eyes. Now he loves him too!

The Rose

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Here’s a man who built his entire career singing about banging women. Only in America!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
His grandson and Lorettas' granddaughter teamed up and tour the country with a tribute show.
Plenty of videos on You Tube.

I saw Loretta’s granddaughter on some show the other day. She can sing! Cute as all get out too.
I think she said her Mom is one of Loretta’s twin daughter’s that use to tour in the 90’s as a singing duo.

I’ve told this story here before:

When I was a kiddo, there was an old dance hall down the road from the Ranch in Stamford, TX, called The Stagecoach Inn. Parents use to go dancing there. Kids were allowed to play in the parking lot, or sit with their parents.
Saw ole Conway play their several times when he was touring through TX.
One night, as he was obviously drunk on stage, he got pissed off at his band and a fight ensued.
Little ole Conway kicked the ever loving crap out of them. 🤪

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/27/24.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
He was at the Cobblestone ballroom a few times.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Screw Conway, his horse and whoever posts all this s hit!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Conway Twitty was not a REAL country singer, because ......

He did not wear a cowboy hat. No singer who wants to be a country singer, can ever be taken seriously unless he wears a big cowboy hat ... white or light gray A cowboy hat identifies the singer as being a genuine country singer. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Baseball player...

"Twitty was a baseball player with a batting average of .450 when he graduated from high school, and he was offered a contract with the Philadelphia Phillies.[6] He worked for a few months for International Harvester before accepting the Phillies offer.[6] However, he was drafted into the U.S. Army and served in the Far East, during which time he organized a group called the Cimmarons to entertain his fellow soldiers.[7] The Phillies renewed their offer when he returned home, but Twitty had by now become more interested in pursuing a music career.[6]"

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Conway Twitty was not a REAL country singer, because ......

He did not wear a cowboy hat. No singer who wants to be a country singer, can ever be taken seriously unless he wears a big cowboy hat ... white or light gray A cowboy hat identifies the singer as being a genuine country singer. grin

L.W.
He couldn't mess that pretty hair up with a friggin hat? C'mon, man!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Adopted his stage name playing gigs from Conway, Arkansas and Twitty, Texas.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Here’s a man who built his entire career singing about banging women. Only in America!

Heh!

“Bomp, Bomp,,,,,Bomne.”

Never been this far before.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (1Longbow, 2500HD, 1lesfox, 240NMC, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 25 invisible), 1,979 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,088
Posts18,501,767
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.