Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Looking for the value of a 1946 model 70 standard weight chambered in 270WCF. When I took apart the rifle to clean, the bottom of the barrel is stamped 270 41 so I’m guessing the barrel was produced in 1941. Rifle has handling marks and the floor plate finish has some wear. The are to holes drill and tapped on top of barrel (not sure if that’s factory or not) and it have scope base and rings.

Pictures are in the link below

Thanks

https://postimg.cc/gallery/G8vpk8n

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Tough one...

If you want a "collector", pass it by and wait for another that's "original". The extra holes in the barrel and the wood alterations on the stock for the ?target scope mounts are going to hurt you.

If you want a good everyday hunter/shooter then go for it! You can always look at the "value" of the component parts. Unaltered "transition" std action/floorplate is probably worth ~$700-800 alone. The barrel marked 1941 is probably not original to the gun but I could be wrong(maybe in a rarer caliber than 270WCF) but it has certainly been altered for a target scope mount/block. The rear sight should be a 22G as well. The slightly altered stock will be cloverleaf tang for sure and desirable for pre-war or transition variation 70s but the wood removed near the receiver still hurts value for most buyers unless that is what they are trying to replace.

I'd shoot for $750-850, consider it a "good" buy and shoot/hunt the heck out of it... still a beautiful M70! Love "transitions"!

It looks like otherwise it is pretty nice condition. If it was all "original" w/o extra holes and wood taken away from the stock AND w/ 22G sight and front "hood", the price would likely be twice the "altered" price.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lundtroller
Tough one...

If you want a "collector", pass it by and wait for another that's "original". The extra holes in the barrel and the wood alterations on the stock for the ?target scope mounts are going to hurt you.

If you want a good everyday hunter/shooter then go for it! You can always look at the "value" of the component parts. Unaltered "transition" std action/floorplate is probably worth ~$700-800 alone. The barrel marked 1941 is probably not original to the gun but I could be wrong(maybe in a rarer caliber than 270WCF) but it has certainly been altered for a target scope mount/block. The rear sight should be a 22G as well. The slightly altered stock will be cloverleaf tang for sure and desirable for pre-war or transition variation 70s but the wood removed near the receiver still hurts value for most buyers unless that is what they are trying to replace.

I'd shoot for $750-850, consider it a "good" buy and shoot/hunt the heck out of it... still a beautiful M70! Love "transitions"!

It looks like otherwise it is pretty nice condition. If it was all "original" w/o extra holes and wood taken away from the stock AND w/ 22G sight and front "hood", the price would likely be twice the "altered" price.

What he said, I think.. I couldn't see the fn pictures very well. You nailed it though with "tough one"..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
$750 tops. It is a good, Vintage, hunting rifle. The barrel is most likely original; remember Pearl Harbor? 1941 was a huge year for the model 70, not many made between 1942-1945. The holes in the barrel, the notch out on the stock are definitely not factory and are killers! The wrong rear sight. A nice, vintage hunting rifle. The pictures were a pain to view, try imgur.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
R
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by lundtroller
Tough one...

Thanks for the info lundtroller!

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
That’s a 1942 pre-war gun with a later (Type 111) 1950’s bolt shroud/safety. The bridge is also non-factory D&T. I’d pass

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
61480 is what the serial looks like to me. I can't tell if it has a prewar rear tang or later smooth; it is a Transition. Better pics are needed. It isn't a collector's item but it is a very good hunting rifle.

R
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by sbrmike
61480 is what the serial looks like to me. I can't tell if it has a prewar rear tang or later smooth; it is a Transition. Better pics are needed. It isn't a collector's item but it is a very good hunting rifle.
Yes it’s 51480. It would be a great hunting rifle

Last edited by richyonks; 03/27/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by richyonks

Pocono nailed it. I can't see the pics, but know the serial # indicates it was made in 1942. That would make it a "pre war", not a transition. If the barrel is marked "41", it is most likely the original barrel. Anything that is drilled and tapped reduces the value of the rifle. The barrel and rear bridge for example. Any wood that is removed for aperture sights, or any other modification reduces the value. However, the clover leaf tang stocks are getting harder and harder to find. Which makes it more valuable than a post war stock. Especially if it does not have any cracks. Definitely a "hunter" grade though. Value can be anywhere from $650-$1,200.00, for a rifle like this. That's just based off of what I've seen, but pics would show better detail and add to the description, and help with value..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Poconojack
That’s a 1942 pre-war gun with a later (Type 111) 1950’s bolt shroud/safety. The bridge is also non-factory D&T. I’d pass

Didn't realize I could zoom in a little better on the SN and safety. Saw "1946" and just assumed it was a traditional "tradition", if there is such a thing.

People "cobbled" together some interesting things back in the day for sure! The target scope mounted must have rendered the original safety pretty useless. Now if a guy only had the original scope and mounts it would still be kind of cool "as is".

Hindsight is kind of painful for pre-64 70 lovers! On the same note, pretty sad to not have enjoyable "shooters" out there, too...

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I can't speak knowledgably of "value". I can speak to "collectability" and originality. None of the three major components, receiver, stock or barrel are original. The barrel date, perhaps to conjecture DOM, but losing significance as "altered". The difficulty with a drilled & tapped gun is with mount holes which reflect obsolete mounts proper. Also the '46 receiver should have the clip loading function. See pix below, . 1946 my 1946. The rifle is yet a quality hunter/shooter because of its Pre '64 genre. Collectible, not. More insights requiring better pix! That said, much of all to be said as already said! smile
Just my take.
Best!
John

Attached Images
R423-13.jpg (14.73 KB, 209 downloads)
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
How do you guys say 1942? It is a 1946. It is a Transition model. Look at the serial number with a magnifying glass. The pics are not good enough for my computer or eyes to make out serious details.

ETA: I am wrong it is not a Transition model; it is a very late preWar with a few mods.

Last edited by sbrmike; 03/27/24.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by richyonks

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
For pocano; better resolution

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks Joe

Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Your source is wrong. 1942 serials go 41754 thru 49206, a total of 7,453.

That is a 1946 serial number. That gun has a preWar Bolt body, which should be factory correct. The Safety and Bolt Shroud are definitely later than the gun. It should have come originally with a PreWar wing Safety as factory original. I wish we had clear pics or could see under that rear scope base to see which receiver it has. The number says preWar but the pics don't look like it??? It may be an anomoly? I can't see the groove or the stripper clip guide slot. The Transitions start about 1000 digits later at 60500 approx.

ETA: That looks like a Leupold gunsmiths rear base; it only has one hole drilled. A lot of gunsmiths back then were truly craftsman. I am betting they machined that rear scope base to a very close fit in the receiver making the groove and clip guide all but disappear.

Last edited by sbrmike; 03/27/24.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That is a 1946 serial number. That gun has a preWar Bolt body, which should be factory correct. The Safety and Bolt Shroud are definitely later than the gun. It should have come originally with a PreWar wing Safety as factory original. I wish we had clear pics or could see under that rear scope base to see which receiver it has. The number says preWar but the pics don't look like it??? It may be an anomoly? I can't see the groove or the stripper clip guide slot. The Transitions start about 1000 digits later at 60500 approx.

ETA: That looks like a Leupold gunsmiths rear base; it only has one hole drilled. A lot of gunsmiths back then were truly craftsman. I am betting they machined that rear scope base to a very close fit in the receiver making the groove and clip guide all but disappear.

I don't know where you are getting your info from? The 1942 serial #'s range from 45,405 to 52,548. Placing that rifle well within the 1942 serial # range, at 51,480. Unless Rule is wrong, as well as the WACA look up AK is using. This is part of the reason we always ask for the serial #, when assessing a rifle. A lot of Winchester owners don't even know when their rifles are made.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I don't know where you are getting your info from? The 1942 serial #'s range from 45,405 to 52,548. Placing that rifle well within the 1942 serial # range, at 51,480. Unless Rule is wrong, as well as the WACA look up AK is using. This is part of the reason we always ask for the serial #, when assessing a rifle. A lot of Winchester owners don't even know when their rifles are made.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/support/faq/date-your-firearm.html

I will take clearer pictures in the morning. Thank you for all the info thus far

Last edited by richyonks; 03/27/24.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
The source of the above ‘When Was Your Winchester Made’ screenshot is derived from the original Winchester Factory Polishing Room Records that are housed in Cody WY, which were donated by the Olin Corporation in 1980-81 at the time of the Olin buyout. If they are incorrect then Winchester’s own corporate records are wrong. If more accurate information exists the source should be posted here so we could all learn.

It is TRUE that the PRR date relates to the date the s/n was applied to the receiver, not the date the receiver was used to assemble a finished rifle. Odds are that many (if not most) of the 1942 PRR dated receivers were not used to complete rifles until 1945-46 when Winchester was converting back to manufacturing products for the civilian market at the end of WW11. However, assembly of a pre-war pattern rifle immediately after the end of WW11 does not make it a ‘transition’ rifle. The accepted distinction between pre-war and transition rifles is the change in receiver design (undrilled, roll marked clip slot bridge) and squared shoulder on the bolt handle for the pre-war rifle vs. the factory d&t smooth bridge and shoulder-less bolt for the transition rifle.

Rule’s Table 2-1 (PR date table) indicates S/N 51480 was applied in Sept. 1942. Rules Table 2-2 indicates that the rifle with S/N 51480 would have been built in 1946. Is this a problem? not really as the dates in Table 2-1 are derived from existing records while the production numbers in Table 2-2 are derived from a few surviving summary reports provided to Winchester executives of total numbers of M70’s, NOT actual, individual s/n’s. Unfortunately receivers were not used in consecutive order and the individual S/N cards were destroyed, so S/N 51480 might have been assembled in 1942/45/46. No way to know.

The earliest recorded ‘transition’ receivers (as defined above) were a small batch of possibly a couple hundred in the 55,XXX S/N range (this information comes from the current, ongoing WACA M70 survey, not the Bible so the reader must decide its veracity), Winchester then completed another 5,000 pre-war guns with the transition guns beginning to dominate around S/N 60,500 (as the Bible indicates).

Hope this helps

Hunter S. Thompson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 160user, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,652
Posts18,474,627
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.