Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's the problem? That 375 Ruger looks pretty nice

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I have an early ftw 260 rem that had a laminated stock. Sits in a full length bed block Houge now. Fine rifle. No 20 min rail on top on mine. Paid $750 for it new.
F01

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
WOW THAT'S FANTASTIC wink

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Maybe just another "bitch and moan" thread on the Campfire?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No way Jose.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Inflation happened. Would’ve been $1k or a tick more back in 2018. Over the last several years, it also seems like Ruger has come to view the 77’s as a super premium line. Almost like #1’s.

That said; they are really nice rifles.

The problem for me is, custom componentry doesn’t seem to have skyrocketed the way factory rifles have. For a bit more money, you can Bartlein, Bighorn Origin, Trigger Tech, plus the stock of your choice, smack it together yourself, and KNOW what you’re getting.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A friend just bought a new Hawkeye off GI. He didn't pay anywhere near $2K (wood stock) BUT new factory ammo is hard to chamber in it.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Someone will be along shortly to explain how since some idiot is willing to blow his money on one, that it's the appropriate market based price.

In real life, companies see inflation and COVID and excitedly jack their prices because they now have someone to blame for their greed.

I watched it happen while working with factory management in 2020.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 03/27/24.
308ld Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WStrayer

Maybe, maybe I'm just old and out of touch with the Ruger business model going forward.

I've been a fan of the M77 since they first came out in 1968. Always a working mans firearm.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ed
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 308ld
Originally Posted by WStrayer

Maybe, maybe I'm just old and out of touch with the Ruger business model going forward.

I've been a fan of the M77 since they first came out in 1968. Always a working mans firearm.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Great blast from the past magazine cover…includes, of course, an Askins pot-stirring article. The following month he probably put one out highlighting the advantages of a revolver over an auto

Being old and crotchety at time, I wish they’d kept the 77’s in that original configuration, nice classic lines, tang safety that locks the bolt, user adjustable trigger…

Mathew 22: 37-39

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Potsy
Inflation happened. Would’ve been $1k or a tick more back in 2018. Over the last several years, it also seems like Ruger has come to view the 77’s as a super premium line. Almost like #1’s.

That said; they are really nice rifles.

The problem for me is, custom componentry doesn’t seem to have skyrocketed the way factory rifles have. For a bit more money, you can Bartlein, Bighorn Origin, Trigger Tech, plus the stock of your choice, smack it together yourself, and KNOW what you’re getting.

This^^

The M77’s are nice looking though…

I wonder who makes the FTW stock and how much it weighs?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ruger lost money on every single No. 1 made. That is why it is only offered on special runs now. The M77, since it's conversion to CRF, was always marginal profit due to the fact that a CRF action is far more costly to produce than push feed. The increases in pricing are probably more to do with maintaining a similar profit margin as the rest of their products (yes, likely done to take advantage of recent events) so that it remains a viable production model for them and doesn't go the way of the No. 1. Does it suck everything costs so much now- absolutely. Were they out of line for doing this, probably not. They are still one of the best firearm manufacturers to deal with and are #1 in the customer service department, IMO, based on several experiences over 20 years, the last of which was only a month or 2 ago. 10 day door to door turn around time to get me back a 25 year old rifle that is now better than the day it was first sold. Unfortunately, as with most everything else in life these days, this is what we have to live with. Just look at the price difference in new Parkwest rifles compared to when they were Dakota- one of many examples. I have no affiliation with Ruger- just been pretty happy with everything I've ever gotten from them except my one and only original American rifle, which was junk. May try the new generation if they produce it in LH though.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
as a FFL dealer for a reasonable priced rifle , revolver ,pistol Ruger guns sure sell well and are a great gun too own . my only problem with all American gun manufactures except maybe Henry rifles is why so many black guns ? yes i know they sell , but like an example with Ruger build more wood stock rifles in many different cartridges , make Ruger #1`s , start making Ruger O/U shotguns again many of us mis the Red Label shotgun ! many of the other gun manufactures do the same lots of black guns , but very few wood stock rifles and or different cartridges .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HS Precision stock is a big chunk of what happened. What’s one of those run directly from HSP?

Inflation is hitting everything, everywhere. Find yourself a Democrat and thank them…….

Not to worry, Blackrock’s Larry Fink says it’s gonna get worse, and we’re actually gonna like it!

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/202...-how-bad-inflation-was-in-2022-and-2023/

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
as a FFL dealer for a reasonable priced rifle , revolver ,pistol Ruger guns sure sell well and are a great gun too own . my only problem with all American gun manufactures except maybe Henry rifles is why so many black guns ? yes i know they sell , but like an example with Ruger build more wood stock rifles in many different cartridges , make Ruger #1`s , start making Ruger O/U shotguns again many of us mis the Red Label shotgun ! many of the other gun manufactures do the same lots of black guns , but very few wood stock rifles and or different cartridges .
Are you saying they should stop/slow down making what sells for stuff that doesn't sell as well?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by pete53

its funny you say this because I was at my LGS last week and the ruger rep was there talking to the owner. He introduced me to him since I have been shopping at his store and buying rugers for a long time. The rep asked me if I had questions about stuff that might be coming out. I asked him if they were ever going to bring back the red labels and he immediately said "no chance." Apparently they are too expensive to make for ruger to make any money off of them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FTW not WTF, unless you are talking about the price tag...........then WTF Ruger.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by akgrant
The M77, since it's conversion to CRF, was always marginal profit due to the fact that a CRF action is far more costly to produce than push feed.

I'm not buying that one single bit.

Ruger's "CRF," both MKII and Hawkeye, is just the original MKII action with the front bottom lip of the bolt ground flush to the bolt face. It was a simple conversion, and a lot of us did it before the CRF model was available from the factory. I'm also not buying the MKII action was any more expensive to produce than the original M77 action. I'd bet it was more economical to produce than the original M77 tang safety PF action with adjustable trigger.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by akgrant
The M77, since it's conversion to CRF, was always marginal profit due to the fact that a CRF action is far more costly to produce than push feed.

I'm not buying that one single bit.

Ruger's "CRF," both MKII and Hawkeye, is just the original MKII action with the front bottom lip of the bolt ground flush to the bolt face. It was a simple conversion, and a lot of us did it before the CRF model was available from the factory. I'm also not buying the MKII action was any more expensive to produce than the original M77 action. I'd bet it was more economical to produce than the original M77 tang safety PF action with adjustable trigger.

Since your last 2 sentences contradict, I'll assume there was a wording mistake in there and you are saying they cost the same to produce? That very well may be the case- within $50-100 or so I'd guess, but the fact remains the original M77 action was Ruger's version of the Mauser action without CRF until they rightly made the switch, which is still more costly to make than a standard push feed action, then add the (minimal that they are) cost increases for CRF, which isn't just a matter of opening the bolt, you also need to change to a blade ejector as well. All this would certainly add up to the original M77 being more economical to produce than the new, but would also therefore mean the New is more expensive to produce.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 10Glocks, 35, 1OntarioJim, 9 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,121
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.