Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by Calvin
Joebob is on a roll. Lol

I’m not saying it was done, I’m simply telling you it can be done. You old boomer farts don’t realize how far things have gone these days.

lol

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Joebob is on a roll. Lol

I’m not saying it was done, I’m simply telling you it can be done. You old boomer farts don’t realize how far things have gone these days.
Ok. I’ll play along. Who stands to gain what from this?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rickt300
Yep if the ships computers are connected to the internet it is hackable. Odd these simpletons can't seem to understand the obvious.

Gotta connect the dots.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Joebob is on a roll. Lol

Easiest question all day.

Lara Logan. Viewers = $$

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Joebob is on a roll. Lol

I don’t know. So now I have to prove a motive before someone can consider the possibility of something nefarious? Who gained by the attack on Moscow? Who gains by our involvement in Ukraine? Who gained by running airplanes in the WTC? Who really knows why anyone ever does anything? All I can tell is that if a thing CAN be done, someone eventually WILL do it.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bro, don’t be stupid. If it were a cyber attack, the point is not to kill people on the bridge. That’s an afterthought. The point is to bring the bridge down and shut down the port for the next year.

Let's see - what would shut the port down the longest? Dropping the bridge or dropping the bridge with 250 cars and trucks with it?

"I'm willing to f-ck with the US, commit an act of terrorism but I'm not willing to kill people" - got it.

Me

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Teal
And as I told Stevie - the guys I know, still working at the 3 letter agency field site that I also used to work at back in the day - none think nor believe it was a cyber attack.

Logan is posting for clicks.

As to your post above, you do realize that most "3 letter agencies" have a rather dismal track record? Rank and fil emight work hard and all, but they are and have been utter [bleep] shows, often bordering on unAmerican.

3 letter agency. Lol.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by rte
As I stated earlier,I would believe Lara Logan's opinion,who has been correct on so many issues,than the Bolsheviks,who are controlling this demented bastard.

BTW Bush may or may not have been a moron but he still lied this nation into war.

Tough to disagree there. ^

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Bro, don’t be stupid. If it were a cyber attack, the point is not to kill people on the bridge. That’s an afterthought. The point is to bring the bridge down and shut down the port for the next year.

Let's see - what would shut the port down the longest? Dropping the bridge or dropping the bridge with 250 cars and trucks with it?

"I'm willing to f-ck with the US, commit an act of terrorism but I'm not willing to kill people" - got it.

Don’t be a dufus. Who is assuming now? Why do you create so many straw men? If it were a cyberattack, there could be a thousand different factors as to why it was done when it was done. They could range from blind luck to collaboration with the crew and a hundred other things we don’t and can’t know. But you can’t rule it out completely because you arbitrarily decide by your own reasoning that if it were done, it would have been better done at another time.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Joebob is on a roll. Lol

Oh cmon, thats so easy.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course, it’s hackable. It’s a 1000 foot, 100,000 ton ship built in 2015 with a 22 man crew. A ship that big and new with a crew small is going to be heavily computerized. If it has an internet connection, it’s hackable.

Doesn’t mean it was, but these days someone can hack you toaster.

Fitzgerald was 730 feet, just as heavy and only had a crew of 29, built in '58.

There's computerization - sure. But you also mentioned something rather important - is propulsion connected to the internet? and can you even get a signal buried under 100k tons of steel and 9k TEUs on deck and does it make sense to do that attack at 1am when it's LEAST likely to create loss of life?

Like I said - boat guys here are saying - nope.

Stop. Is there a mechanical linkage from the bridge to the rudder? No? Of course, not in a ship that large. An electric signal goes from A to B…from micro processor to microprocessor. It’s hackable.

As for making sense. Bro, don’t be stupid. If it were a cyber attack, the point is not to kill people on the bridge. That’s an afterthought. The point is to bring the bridge down and shut down the port for the next year.

Yep if the ships computers are connected to the internet it is hackable. Odd these simpletons can't seem to understand the obvious.

IF connected - that's the fugging point.

And IF the ones connected ALSO connect to propulsion.

I get drive by wire, I work for a SaaS company specializing in transportation AI, ML and automation - I get what's possible. It's just not probably on this.

What I am saying is the odds that the internet connected computers are ALSO connected to both ship power, and propulsion AND were hacked at 1am in the middle of a river through the faraday cage that is an all metal ship with TEUs all over it and THEN being able to take positive control, shut down the power - completely time the wind, tides, boat speed and channel water speed to create a 100k ton Fast and Furious Tokyo drift - while ALSO allowing coms to the bridge to tell them to close it and hit the bridge - yep. That's the MOST LIKELY event. /sarc

Again - the guys I talked to last night who build the damned things say this - not gonna happen. The intelligence officers I know and have known for 2 decades agree. Like zero thought has ever been put into place over the last 20+ years about the possibility and precautions taken.

JFC - this isn't someone figuring out your yahoo account email.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Don’t be a dufus. Who is assuming now? Why do you create so many straw men? If it were a cyberattack, there could be a thousand different factors as to why it was done when it was done. They could range from blind luck to collaboration with the crew and a hundred other things we don’t and can’t know. But you can’t rule it out completely because you arbitrarily decide by your own reasoning that if it were done, it would have been better done at another time.

I'm not creating the "terrorist straw man" - those seeing conspiracy in everything, to include cold soup at Wendy's are.

I rule it out because of the people I've talked to and the understanding of the hoops needed to align for it to happen. There's FAR more evidence this is simply a mechanical failure combined with human error than "Laura says".

Either way - no skin off my back, have a great day. IDGAF

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
From yesterday.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
I wonder if it's possible to cyber attack the onboard computer from afar?

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, you get credit for not knowing the answer.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
Yep, you get credit for not knowing the answer.

I laughed out load at that one.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
LOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Joebob is on a roll. Lol

Youre wasting time with Calvin. Hes a lost cause lol. Anyway, like you said, damn near anything can be hacked. Even things that are not attached to the internet. There was a documentary that was all about spy tech in the modern world. We have the ability to use a microwave in someones home to listen to their conversation in the room. No internet connection needed and we have had that tech for a long ass time. The things that can be done in the modern world are absolutely terrifying. Im not saying thats what happened, Im just agreeing that it could be done with enough will to do it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
She calls it "the I-94 Corridor."

Wrong corridor.

She got it correct the next time.

When your attention span resets, watch another five minute segment, and see for yourself.

Ha!

GR

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bunker fuel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of course, it’s hackable. It’s a 1000 foot, 100,000 ton ship built in 2015 with a 22 man crew. A ship that big and new with a crew small is going to be heavily computerized. If it has an internet connection, it’s hackable.

Doesn’t mean it was, but these days someone can hack you toaster.

Fitzgerald was 730 feet, just as heavy and only had a crew of 29, built in '58.

There's computerization - sure. But you also mentioned something rather important - is propulsion connected to the internet? and can you even get a signal buried under 100k tons of steel and 9k TEUs on deck and does it make sense to do that attack at 1am when it's LEAST likely to create loss of life?

Like I said - boat guys here are saying - nope.

Stop. Is there a mechanical linkage from the bridge to the rudder? No? Of course, not in a ship that large. An electric signal goes from A to B…from micro processor to microprocessor. It’s hackable.

As for making sense. Bro, don’t be stupid. If it were a cyber attack, the point is not to kill people on the bridge. That’s an afterthought. The point is to bring the bridge down and shut down the port for the next year.

IF connected - that's the fugging point.

And IF the ones connected ALSO connect to propulsion.

I get drive by wire, I work for a SaaS company specializing in transportation AI, ML and automation - I get what's possible. It's just not probably on this.

What I am saying is the odds that the internet connected computers are ALSO connected to both ship power, and propulsion AND were hacked at 1am in the middle of a river through the faraday cage that is an all metal ship with TEUs all over it and THEN being able to take positive control, shut down the power - completely time the wind, tides, boat speed and channel water speed to create a 100k ton Fast and Furious Tokyo drift - while ALSO allowing coms to the bridge to tell them to close it and hit the bridge - yep. That's the MOST LIKELY event. /sarc

Again - the guys I talked to last night who build the damned things say this - not gonna happen. The intelligence officers I know and have known for 2 decades agree. Like zero thought has ever been put into place over the last 20+ years about the possibility and precautions taken.

JFC - this isn't someone figuring out your yahoo account email.
I tend to agree with most of what you are saying. It seems like it was just an awful accident. Wouldnt surprise me though if it turned out to be intentional

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (260Remguy, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 13 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,383
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.