-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't blame you. If WVU or Wisconsin ever won a national title I would do the same. Never happened before and I doubt it ever will.

But can UW have a really good team? Perennial top 20 program? Maybe. Debatable.

They finished last season ranked 6 and this one ranked 20 something. They are almost there, but at least for me they could sink out of the top 20 next season as easily as finish in the top 5.

They have shown an ability to recruit very, very good offensive linemen and running backs. But they have not shown the ability to build depth on the defensive line or secondary. One or two injuries can cripple them pretty badly. Five or six, like this year, can show this lack of depth and really slow them down... top 25 teams can be hurt by injuries but truly elite teams bring in the next guy and make due. Just like LSU did this season.

Wisconsin may be good enough to play anyone in the country closely if they remain healthy, but they have yet to show me that they can overcome the normal, expected injuries and setbacks to still win against teams in the top 2 or 3 of most conferences. Though against Tennessee they showed they aren't too far away.

I am hoping for good things next year. As always. :p

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
GB1

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
What do you believe the outcome of WVU/OSU would have been Will??

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Honestly?

I'd have to go with WVU. But I think tOSU would play a lot better because of a lack of pressure, fear, expectations. They would have come in expecting to win and would have played better.

But WVU had a very good defensive line. One of the most underrated ones I saw all year. Their entire defense would have had some level of success agianst Ohio State I think.

Worse for tOSU, although they have a pretty good defense, after all LSU scored 40 on just about everyone not just them, they didn't appear to me to have the tools to give WVU fits. I think WVU runs successfully on them just like they did Oklahoma. And they beat them, just like they did Oklahoma.

Just me though, I'm not sure the Buckeyes on the board would agree. :p

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love that logo...will circulate wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LSU fan
Good post Will and I agree with most of it. I thought Wisconson is already pretty much a perennial top 20 team though?

Its fun to talk trash but the truth is, these things go in cycles. Back in the '90s Florida was crushing everyone in the SEC but then got their butts handed to them by Nebraska in a NC game ('95 maybe?). I'm just going to kick back and enjoy being on top for a while.

Got their butts handed to them by LSU in '97. Were ranked number 1 prior to that.

I didn't understand a word you said, but whatever it was I'm right there with you.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I wouldn't say we handed their buts to them. laugh Caught them by surprise and jumped out to an early lead. Managed to hang on and win thanks to a Cedrick Donaldson pick 6. Our defense was very average that year. I remember watching with dread thinking UF was going to come back and win in the 4th quarter. Still my favorite night ever in Tiger Stadium or on LSU campus for that matter. We celebrated HARD. Wonder where that Pi Phi is now... laugh

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Penguin,
IMO (and I am biased) there is no question that the best BCS or otherwise bowl performance was turned in by WVU. Congrats to LSU and it's fans for their victory and for winning the National Championship and if I were an LSU fan I would be crowing from the highest perch I could find.
This season saw several good college football programs stub their toes and fall out of favor with the writers and the coaches (including WVU, LSU, USC, etc). Every week was another story and every week those that stumbled were subjected to the reasoning used to rank them 9th or 11th or 14th or where ever it seemed right to put them.
Looking back and reflecting again in IMO had WVU played any team in the nation in the Fiesta Bowl and played at the same level played on that night it would make absolutely no difference who the opponent was the outcome would have been the same. The flip side is had they showed up and played the way they played in the Pitt game the outcome would not have been so good.
All of the what if's won't change a thing. LSU is the National Champion, all of us got to watch some pretty good football and next year we get to watch it again. Go Mountaineers!!!

Dave

Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 1936M71, 219DW, 260Remguy, 57 invisible), 1,751 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,109
Posts18,522,761
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.