Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lt_H Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Wanted to throw out a picture of my 13 year old and I that was taken this past weekend near George West, Texas. Plenty to shoot, plenty of fun and plenty of good times for Daddy and his little girl. I've got my 300EG and Kameron is carrying her DL in .243. As you can tell, "Miss Priss" is quite the "Ham".

[Linked Image]

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I hunted near George West - actually closer to Tilden - the weekend before Thanksgiving, first hunt with my "new" 99 EG in .300 Savage. No hogs, killed a nice spike and a javelina, though. We were on a "cull buck" hunt, actually, couldn't shoot the big nice ones we saw. Deer down there are like cows, in many ways!

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
That's really cool LT,....you're a lucky Dad, wish my daughter had enjoyed hunting. Maybe my grandkids will like it, but........I have to get some first! Good luck and tell her she's a lucky gal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's awesome.. good for you and her!

Nice rifles, by the way. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice picture, great rifles, that is the way to do it. Proud of ya........... Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Great photo, thanks for sharing! And I echo a previous poster's comment about both your rifles - nice ones! It's great to see a father sharing the enjoyment of hunting with his daughter.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge with Hog hunting out here in CA. Never done it before, and I hear it's quite a challenge. What range do you typically take a hog at? I've heard they tend to be more wary than deer, especially where there's hunting pressure. Is the kill zone different from a deer (shoulder area to just behind)? I was also curious about what rifle/caliber to use, and judging from your photo I should be set already, happily enough.

Thanks for sharing the photo and any pointers you can provide,
Mike

Does it come in Red and Black plaid? Is it wool?
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hey that's great Lt. Nothing better than being out with our young ones.

Mike, Don't shoot hogs behind the shoulder as the vitals are futher foward. Shoot for the shoulder or head.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Joe
Hey that's great Lt. Nothing better than being out with our young ones.

Mike, Don't shoot hogs behind the shoulder as the vitals are futher foward. Shoot for the shoulder or head.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the pointer. I'll keep it in mind!

Mike

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
What a beauty! You are a lucky man!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice Job LtH!
Beautiful Daughter...you gotta be proud!?
excellent taste in rifleage.
You tell her that's a nice TX Hog she got wink

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Both rifles are very nice; I noticed the wood on your rifle looks especially nice. Is that an after market stock, or an original? What kind of wood/finish is it?

Thanks,
Mike

L
Lt_H Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
It's an EG that I Hard Chromed the receiver and had the barrel finished with a high gloss Blue. The wood was really special. The original stock and forend were duplicated in XXX Walnut. I fitted and finished it with boiled linseed oil myself. With the tang sight, she groups between 5/8" and 1" consistantly. That 300 is my pride and joy.
Miss Kameron wanted one like her Dad, so I found a pretty little DL with an old Leupold in 243.
The hogs in Texas, or at least on that lease, weren't too skittish. I had a friend less than 10 yards from the feeder in a ground blind. They don't see all that well, but they can hear and smell! But, the haul brownie at the first rifle crack and don't come back till the feeder goes off in the evening. A behind the shoulder shot just Gobbs up all the ribs and front hams. I like to shoot them behind the ear, about 4 inches below their neck line. Then, it's usually either a clean miss or a clean kill and none of that stalking around through the thorn thickets looking for a wounded pig crap. wink

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Lt_H
It's an EG that I Hard Chromed the receiver and had the barrel finished with a high gloss Blue. The wood was really special. The original stock and forend were duplicated in XXX Walnut. I fitted and finished it with boiled linseed oil myself. With the tang sight, she groups between 5/8" and 1" consistantly. That 300 is my pride and joy.
Miss Kameron wanted one like her Dad, so I found a pretty little DL with an old Leupold in 243.
The hogs in Texas, or at least on that lease, weren't too skittish. I had a friend less than 10 yards from the feeder in a ground blind. They don't see all that well, but they can hear and smell! But, the haul brownie at the first rifle crack and don't come back till the feeder goes off in the evening. A behind the shoulder shot just Gobbs up all the ribs and front hams. I like to shoot them behind the ear, about 4 inches below their neck line. Then, it's usually either a clean miss or a clean kill and none of that stalking around through the thorn thickets looking for a wounded pig crap. wink

Your 99EG/300 came out real nice. That wood is beautiful, and your care and workmanship for fitting/finishing it to the rifle shows. I'm a sucker for pictures, so if you ever have the time, a few closeup shots of your rifle posted to this forum showing your workmanship would be appreciated.

I've talked to a couple of CA hog hunters, and they echo your points about where to target a hog - head/neck area. I plan on using my 99R/300 for hogs, and reserving my 99R/250 for blacktails and coyotes. What kind of bullets are you using? 180gr or 150's? I imagine the 300 savage drops them right in their tracks. I'm going to load my own 300 savage with Nosler E-tips - I've not decided whether to go with the 180gr or the 150gr - I'm leaning toward the latter, since 150gr seems to be a bit more accurate, at least with the loads I'm working up.

How effective does your daughter find the 243 for taking hogs? What kind of bullet/load does she find effective?

Thanks again,
Mike

PS: the thought of bagging my own acorn-fed baby back ribs, bacon, and tenderloin has got me drooling. wink

L
Lt_H Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
We were both in a ground sniper blind only a few yards away. They both folded like a well used $20 bill. The 300 has a lot of "Bang Flop" to it. I was using 150 gr. cor-lok remington ammo.
The 243 also did well. I worked with Kameron on her area to shoot. They just don't go far when you their neck is blown out. I like that becuase I'm too fat to be crawling around through the thorns looking for a mad hog.
I've posted those pics before, but I don't mind showing her off again.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the info. If you've already posted the pictures, I'll try to find them using your handle. No need to post them again.

Thanks again,
Mike

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

Found the pictures using the forum search mechanism. You posted them March 14, 2007, before I joined this form. Beautiful job, BTW!

The posting is entitled Unveiling my New Old 99 EG for those of you that may not have seen it.

Mike

L
Lt_H Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Pics of my 300EG
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

She now sports a very nice Tang Sight. THAT sight is the best investment I have made in a while. It amazes me how accurate that rifle can be.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Wow - that's a beauty, alright!

Mike

L
Lt_H Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Well Dang! Too late.

L
LRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Jed,
As you know Savage 99's have a history of "Pig Guns", maybe Lt H would like to see a picture or 2 of the old pig gun. If I remember correctly Don was the last owner of record.

Lt H nice!!! Keep up the tradition of pig splating with the 99's!

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 222Sako, 57 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,499
Posts18,509,181
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.