Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
It even has a built-in holder for the Hills Bros. coffee can.
It would require two... one to bail and another for the worms.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
MS is a bitch.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A friend of mine built this boat, I am visiting with him about restoration or leaving it and using it as a survivor…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He had skills. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wow! Cosmic! Would be great to fish with that guy. When one's turn to row comes up, just bump the first available midstream rock, and he'll insist on taking the oars back.

High maintenance though.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/24/24.

1Minute
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Look on YouTube to see if someone has made a video on restoring that particular boat - if not, there are lots of of related (almost professional-grade) instructional, how-to videos that you should find useful. Classic boats restored with the latest material & techniques often end up better constructed than original. Good luck on your project.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel
A friend of mine built this boat, I am visiting with him about restoration or leaving it and using it as a survivor…

Wow. That's a work of art.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Question: other than who owned it, what makes this boat better than other drift boats I see on our local waters?

How does it differ from a boat say from Hyde?

Me

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
Question: other than who owned it, what makes this boat better than other drift boats I see on our local waters?

How does it differ from a boat say from Hyde?

That is the key. Without the connection to Tom Morgan, it is just another boat and not particularly a handsome boat. Functional to the core, but I wouldn’t buy it other than that connection to Tom…

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Understood. So it's like owing Clapton's Strat. The Strat isn't the point, it's the owner.

Me

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
For the uninformed, BOAT is an acronym…

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
GOSH !!! Too pretty to use !!!

"not too grumpy"
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H

That drift boat is just plain sexy!!!
A floating/functioning work of art. Your friend needs to enter that in the county fair.

Hal

Last edited by HalH; 03/24/24.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Looks like a good cleaning would make the TM boat plenty fishable, unless there's rotten wood in the bow or on the floor that we can't see in the pictures.

That's a labor of love and functional art. When I look at that boat, I see a project that a person only has 1 or maybe 2 of those in them in a lifetime.

Last edited by horse1; 03/24/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
That's a neat find. And I look forward to seeing it when restored. If anyone would do it right, it would be you.

But fly fishing Holy Grail?

How about an EC Powell 8' hollowbuilt in 5 wt? That to me might be a "Holy Grail".

You need to know more about who Tom Morgan was and what he did for the fly fishing industry. A Powell fly rod is really nice, but not quite the Holy Grail.

This is a boat designed by Tom 30 years ago and Multiple Sclerosis ended his physical mobility and his dream of producing a versatile fishing boat for rivers in Southwest Montana. He took Winston rods from a sleepy California town to Twin Bridges, Montana and made it a premiere fly rod company.

He sold Winston in 1991 and began his dream of creating his own brand of fly rod. After several years of non compete with Winston, Tom started his own company, Tom Morgan Rodsmiths. There he created one of the finest fly rods ever built. MS slowed him down but didn’t stop his success with TMR.

Years later after a 25 year anniversary last year, Tom’s legacy is intact and still producing the finest rods available.

This boat was a small part of what he had planned after selling Winston and before MS disabled him…

If sleepy California town was not tongue in cheek, then I know more about Winston than you do. But I'll grant that you're the Tom Morgan SME.

P.S. Have now upgraded my holy grail to a Per Brandin 2/2 8' 5wt hollowbuilt.

Here we go... a loyalist to something that doesn't even exist... EC Powell never made a 5 weight in the 8 foot variety... they made a 5/6 but even then the Powell rod was always eclipsed by better, smarter made products. Most likely the reason they sold out to the Schwab family for pennies on the dollar. There is pages of controversy to the legitimacy of Powell's existence today. The naivety that because business startups from California are in someway superior to other companies is bizarre. Point being Tom Morgan had the for site knowing that for his investment to succeed he had to leave the problem that is California behind. Historically there were only 7 of these boats made... This boat is iconic and nostalgic because of who and what Tom Morgan accomplished with multiple businesses and Multiple Sclerosis. Your comparison between Powell and Winston (Tom Morgan) is naïve.

A 1958 Lincoln Continental wasn't a very attractive car but that doesn't detract from the fact that they are one of the ugliest cars in history fetching a premium for its collectability. "ignorantia juris non excusat", also " it is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than open it and remove all doubt"" Mark Twain.

The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil Men. Plato
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by barnold
That's a neat find. And I look forward to seeing it when restored. If anyone would do it right, it would be you.

How about an EC Powell 8' hollowbuilt in 5 wt? That to me might be a "Holy Grail".

You need to know more about who Tom Morgan was and what he did for the fly fishing industry. A Powell fly rod is really nice, but not quite the Holy Grail.

This is a boat designed by Tom 30 years ago and Multiple Sclerosis ended his physical mobility and his dream of producing a versatile fishing boat for rivers in Southwest Montana. He took Winston rods from a sleepy California town to Twin Bridges, Montana and made it a premiere fly rod company.

He sold Winston in 1991 and began his dream of creating his own brand of fly rod. After several years of non compete with Winston, Tom started his own company, Tom Morgan Rodsmiths. There he created one of the finest fly rods ever built. MS slowed him down but didn’t stop his success with TMR.

Years later after a 25 year anniversary last year, Tom’s legacy is intact and still producing the finest rods available.

This boat was a small part of what he had planned after selling Winston and before MS disabled him…

If sleepy California town was not tongue in cheek, then I know more about Winston than you do. But I'll grant that you're the Tom Morgan SME.

Here we go... a loyalist to something that doesn't even exist... EC Powell never made a 5 weight in the 8 foot variety... they made a 5/6 but even then the Powell rod was always eclipsed by better, smarter made products. Most likely the reason they sold out to the Schwab family for pennies on the dollar. There is pages of controversy to the legitimacy of Powell's existence today. The naivety that because business startups from California are in someway superior to other companies is bizarre. Point being Tom Morgan had the for site knowing that for his investment to succeed he had to leave the problem that is California behind. Historically there were only 7 of these boats made... This boat is iconic and nostalgic because of who and what Tom Morgan accomplished with multiple businesses and Multiple Sclerosis. Your comparison between Powell and Winston (Tom Morgan) is naïve.

A 1958 Lincoln Continental wasn't a very attractive car but that doesn't detract from the fact that they are one of the ugliest cars in history fetching a premium for its collectability. "ignorantia juris non excusat", also " it is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than open it and remove all doubt"" Mark Twain.

Sounds like you’re pretty up to date with the craftsmanship aspect of classic rods and boats. You might consider having a go at making a driftboat like the one Shrapnel posted above.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow! That's one heck of a find! I believe cleaning it up, you're going to find that it's in better condition that it now appears. Pretty sure it hasn't had much use. There's some good engineering in that boat. Among other things, I like the way it's set up for anchoring from either end (or both ends, if you know what you're doing). Congrats, and have fun with this project!

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Originally Posted by BangPop

Sounds like you’re pretty up to date with the craftsmanship aspect of classic rods and boats. You might consider having a go at making a driftboat like the one Shrapnel posted above.

Maybe.... What if (and this is a big "what if") I'm the guy that built that "sexy" wooden boat you reference above... wink

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

Maybe.... What if (and this is a big "what if") I'm the guy that built that "sexy" wooden boat you reference above... wink
You disappoint me. I thought I might stimulate a more vigorous response. Shrapnel and I were on a little road trip and told him I was going to see if I could light the WWW on fire. Your boat is a beautiful specimen. Excellent work to say the least. I've seen other boats that look to be made on the same, or similar plans. It probably took at least a couple months to build...... right?

You disappoint me. I thought I might stimulate a more vigorous response. Shrapnel and I were on a little road trip and told him I was going to see if I could light the WWW on fire. Your boat is a beautiful specimen. Excellent work to say the least. I've seen other boats that look to be made on the same, or similar plans. It probably took at least a couple months to build...... right?

That's funny, your post was neither rude or judgmental so you got a respectful response, haha. Thank you for the compliment! I can follow directions very well! Jason Cajune is the brains behind the plans for that boat... In the fly fishing world there are usually two types of people... Purchasers and users. Understanding the significance of Tom Morgan's boat is an example of a third kind of fisherman... The Connoisseur!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,057
Posts18,482,363
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.