Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I have been thinking for a while about the 50 some pounds of smokeless powder and untold thousands of rounds of ammunition stored in the house in case of a fire.

My wife's sister's refrigerator quit, so we moved it into our garage.

I still have to figure a way to make it resistant to theft. I might consider wrapping a couple chains around it. But that is a bit tacky. Or possibly building a plywood cabinet around it with a hasp and padlock, which would be much more attractive.

There is still a bunch of ammo in my gun room. But a lot less than before. And all the primers are out of the gun safe. Dessicant packs are incoming.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Damn.

No room for beer.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Neat idea! Lots of storage with good visibility. Does the ice maker spit out bullets? LOL.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Used to be every shop on a farm around had an old fridge for the welding rods and cow medicine.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Room for beer, the refrig quit didn't your read about that part ? Who likes room temperature beer ? The British, I know.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Cool.

I've heard that it was once popular to use a broken upright freezer or combo as a gun safe. Many of them used to come with a key lock. When I was a kid, we had an old upright freezer with a key lock that would have worked well for that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still have to figure a way to make it resistant to theft. I might consider wrapping a couple chains around it. But that is a bit tacky. Or possibly building a plywood cabinet around it with a hasp and padlock, which would be much more attractive.
If you're going to build a plywood enclosure, why not just build in a bunch of shelves and scrap the fridge? That would be equally secure and have more shelf space.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
People worry about this stuff, but have they ever tossed an old couch or living room chair on a bonfire and saw how fast all the plastic based materials it's made of go up?

Or, better yet, been involved with the fire service and been through the training or a few house fires?

Unless your powder and ammo is THE seat of the fire, what amount most reloaders have in storage won't make a tinker's damn to the outcome of the situation. Your entire house is full of potential accelerants.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The same concerns have rattling around here.
Our daughters closet would burn really well when the flames it the shelves.😉

What's been on my mind the most is loaded guns.
The powder, primers, and ammo would put on a nice show.
The propane bottles and acetylene might make nice grand finalizes,
but the handguns and AR could be deadly.
Positioning to point them into the basement makes sense, but how to
be sure they stay that way in a hot fire, without elaborate steel structures?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve often wondered how most guys store powder safely. Mine is pretty much in closets but I know it’s certainly not the best. I really don’t have a detached structure to store it, and worried about the extreme temperatures of my attached garage. No good way I suppose without it being removed from the house.

Buy once, cry once.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
I’ve often wondered how most guys store powder safely. Mine is pretty much in closets but I know it’s certainly not the best. I really don’t have a detached structure to store it, and worried about the extreme temperatures of my attached garage. No good way I suppose without it being removed from the house.

Cool and dry, and in a non contained structure.

Just take a look at how retail stores store and display powders. Do you think their insurance policies and or local fire codes don't have a say in how it's stored or displayed?

Climate controlled, open shelving, or boxes that won't contain pressure. A locked steel cabinet is the worst possible way.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't really worry about my powder and primers too much in the house but I have always been a fan of a detached garage. Gas cans, solvents, small engine work etc - all things that might start a fire - I'd rather lose the garage than the house and garage.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You moved the powder from the house to the garage why?

as long as you keep the powder in the original containers they just go PHoooooof in a house fire, primers just go bang and cause no damage as long as they are not contained in something and if the loaded ammo goes off it won't even penetrate you skin unless your sitting on it.

Stored properly none of the items pose any sort of a problem. Keep in mind if you put a padlock on the fridge you're going to produce more pressure than you would have if the containers of powder were sitting in the open.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Maybe put biohazard stickers on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the garage is attached it's a moot point

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I fertilized my lawn with a pound of 4F black powder I’d had sitting around for years. I had bought it years back when I first got into flintlocks to prime the pan. I quickly figured out I could use 3F for most everything.

Unlike smokeless, black power WILL explode in a house fire.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You can add local sprinkler heads to your normal plumbing.

Basically... you tap into your existing plumbing... run a new line and install the heads.

Won't meet NFPA code but it works just fine.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Feral_American
People worry about this stuff, but have they ever tossed an old couch or living room chair on a bonfire and saw how fast all the plastic based materials it's made of go up?

I was going to comment on the security aspect. Yes, you've got a lot of money tied up in powder, components, and handliads but who's gonna steal that stuff?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If my house starts on fire, I don't want it to stall, I want it to burn to the ground. I've seen the devastation the fire departments cause to structures trying to put out fires. I'd rather it all go.

Last edited by TimberRunner; 03/28/24.
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you're going to build a plywood enclosure, why not just build in a bunch of shelves and scrap the fridge? That would be equally secure and have more shelf space.
Insulation!

The garage is well insulated, with an insulated door. But it still suffers pretty severe temperature swings from night to day. Day time temp is aggravated by two working freezers and a refrigerator in the garage.

Storing powder and ammo inside a refrigerator will stabilize those temp swings.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (2500HD, 160user, 69sportfury, 01Foreman400, 300s, 2UP, 13 invisible), 1,708 guests, and 990 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,094
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.