Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Minis shoot great.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You've been hacked....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
They all suck, even the good ones, unless you or your legislature's afraid of black guns then they are great!

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are some tricks to getting one to shoot better. But, I'm reluctant to say they shoot great unless you put a lot of money into them. The rotary bolt of Garand design just isn't going to give you Armalite accuracy.

But, if you live in a State that won't allow AR's they are one of your only options. The traditional design and new stock options (mostly aftermarket) make for a fun carbine. At under 100 yards with soft points, it's in the top ten for a home defense rifle and they don't have that scary pistol grip and bayonet lug to get the soccer mom's all upset and crying.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 03/28/24.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Minis shoot great.

About as well as a typical SKS..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here ya go, the definitive comparison.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the other hand...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mini 14's are pretty.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mini 14's are classy.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wonder why the brain trust at Ruger did not use AR15 magazines in the rifle?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Wonder why the brain trust at Ruger did not use AR15 magazines in the rifle?

Because in 1973 no one owned any AR-15 Mags. First time I remember meeting someone who actually owned an AR was 1979.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kwg020
There are some tricks to getting one to shoot better. But, I'm reluctant to say they shoot great unless you put a lot of money into them. The rotary bolt of Garand design just isn't going to give you Armalite accuracy.

But, if you live in a State that won't allow AR's they are one of your only options. The traditional design and new stock options (mostly aftermarket) make for a fun carbine. At under 100 yards with soft points, it's in the top ten for a home defense rifle and they don't have that scary pistol grip and bayonet lug to get the soccer mom's all upset and crying.

kwg
That rotary bolt in the M1 and the M14 especially, can give some accuracy under MOA really easily.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Absolutely, ring in Spring.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think 63 was the year the SP1 was introduced, I had one in 77 IIRC, I guess that is beside the point as they were not very popular then. I guess Ruger just decided to stick with their magazine despite the increased popularity of the AR. IIRC I bought my first mini for $135 and my first SP1 for $350. Those were the days.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg
That rotary bolt in the M1 and the M14 especially, can give some accuracy under MOA really easily.

The M1 and the M14 had forged receivers that were machined to precision tolerances along with precision barrels. Ruger has cast receivers with God only knows what kind of tolerances and barrels designed to work with any kind of ammo. ASI can get you a precision barrel with tight tolerances but it can't get you a precision receiver.

The newer rifles with the newer barrels are more accurate but those skinny barrel Minis are an abomination. I own 3 of them and had ASI put their barrels on 2 of them. It was expensive but they both shoot much better than the factory barrel that was on them.

You can make them accurate if you are willing to spend the money. I'm sure you had to spend some money and time making your M1's and M14's accurate as well. You can buy an accurate AR right off the shelf or build it yourself for not a lot of money and effort.

That's too bad about the Mini 14's. When they first came out they were a lot less money than the AR's. Not so anymore.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I like my mini-14

I also have several ARS including a nice Colt
will the ARs out shoot the mini-14 and all depends on what animal you feed everything. but I like how the mini 14 gets to my hands and I'm quicker with it out of a truck window off of four wheeler off of horseback or anything else it works better for me..

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I love the idea of a Mini-14 and would prefer them to an AR for a truck gun and hunting but the 3 I owned were awful in the accuracy department. If they could ever shoot consistently, I would jump on another in a heartbeat as I like the ergos over an AR. They point and handle great.

Yes, I am very familiar with Accuracy Systems and their upgrades but I wish Ruger could make them more accurate from the factory.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I always was faster on target with the mini, and I think a lot of people run xm193 in the mini and get the pie plate sized group. OTOH these days they sure are not worth what they are asking for them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
it's hilarious reading the snot from the Mini 14 haters. Funniest part is where they say you have to spend a lot of money on a Mini to get it to shoot right, and then in the next thread, brag about all the high dollar accessories and modifications they do on their AR rifles. To get those to shoot right. laughing. smile

Sam......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,081
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.