Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Q_Sertorius
The .22-250 certainly can kill a white tail. That's not a question that anyone should ask. The question is whether *you* can kill a deer with a .22-250 under your usual hunting conditions. It's far better to use a rifle with which you are very familiar and very comfortable than anything else. If I was teaching a new hunter, I'd prefer to give them a .22-250 they were able to shoot often and become proficient with than to give them a .30-06 they were going to shoot less than 20 times a year. Even though I regard the .30-06 as the "one cartridge to rule them all" for North American game, a lot of people just won't use it enough because it's a bit expensive and kicks a fair amount.

Growing up, I never had the luxury of having specialized rifles the way I do now. I had a .270 Winchester which I used for everything. I shot ground hogs with it all summer and then shot white tails with it in the fall. Later on, I picked up a .25-06 with which I became even more proficient. I'd shoot at anything in North America with that .25-06 with 117/120 grain bullets knowing that the bullet is going to go exactly where I want it to go with that rifle. I'd be better off with that rifle than with any of my others (which I frankly don't need, but it gives me joy to have them).

The smallest caliber I have ever personally used on a deer was a .22 LR. A deer walked up to me with no face the day after black powder season ended - someone had tried a headshot on it and blown off its lower jaw and most of the snout - he was clearly in extreme distress. I ran to the truck and grabbed my Nylon 66. I shot him between the eyes and he dropped. That doesn't make .22 LR an ethical deer cartridge. But proper shot placement matters more than anything. I found out later that one of my neighbors had shot the deer with one of those scope-mounted modern muzzleloaders that sends a heavy solid copper bullet at something like 2600 FPS. It doesn't matter what you use if you miss the vital parts. But it makes me sick to think that his weapon counts as a "primitive weapon" while my .45-70 or .50-70 Govt doesn't.

And even with proper shot placement and a good bullet, there is no guaranteed one-shot drop that works every time. I've seen a deer run 800 meters after taking a .270 Winchester to the heart and lungs. We followed the blood trail from point of impact to the downed animal. It was a good strong blood trail the whole way. My brother swore he placed the bullet just right. Under my breath, I was cursing my brother for gut-shooting the damned thing, but it turned out he shot the damned thing through the heart and both lungs. The deer didn't have much inside his chest cavity besides pink and red clots, but he still ran. That kind of stuff can happen no matter what cartridge you use.

I've also had a deer show no sign that I even hit him with my .25-06, leave no visible blood trail, but drop dead after 50-60 yards. I could have sworn I somehow missed him, but out of diligence I started sweeping back and forth the direction he ran. I found him crumpled behind a fallen tree. Again, solid shot through the heart. Bullet performed as expected, but not every deer will drop with one well-placed shot.

Here in Virginia, it's illegal to use rifles below .224 on deer. It hasn't stopped a lot of bubbas out in my neighborhood from using a .223 or .22-250, but I have too much to lose to do something contrary to the laws of the Commonwealth. As someone who carried a 5.56 and depended on it for my life - and know that it works just fine on 150-250 pound animals - I would never doubt that a hunter can kill deer with that caliber. I've never understood why the Commonwealth forbids it, but it's been that way forever. I think a certain amount of the hate stems from the old-fashioned distrust of the 5.56mm NATO when compared with the 7.62 NATO. I still run into a few old-timers who grumble about how the military should have never switched from the M14 to the M16/M4 platform. I suspect it's the same old-timers who wrote the hunting regulations back in the 1960s-1970s.
A 223 or 22-250 is .224

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Q_Sertorius
The .22-250 certainly can kill a white tail. That's not a question that anyone should ask. The question is whether *you* can kill a deer with a .22-250 under your usual hunting conditions. It's far better to use a rifle with which you are very familiar and very comfortable than anything else. If I was teaching a new hunter, I'd prefer to give them a .22-250 they were able to shoot often and become proficient with than to give them a .30-06 they were going to shoot less than 20 times a year. Even though I regard the .30-06 as the "one cartridge to rule them all" for North American game, a lot of people just won't use it enough because it's a bit expensive and kicks a fair amount.

Growing up, I never had the luxury of having specialized rifles the way I do now. I had a .270 Winchester which I used for everything. I shot ground hogs with it all summer and then shot white tails with it in the fall. Later on, I picked up a .25-06 with which I became even more proficient. I'd shoot at anything in North America with that .25-06 with 117/120 grain bullets knowing that the bullet is going to go exactly where I want it to go with that rifle. I'd be better off with that rifle than with any of my others (which I frankly don't need, but it gives me joy to have them).

The smallest caliber I have ever personally used on a deer was a .22 LR. A deer walked up to me with no face the day after black powder season ended - someone had tried a headshot on it and blown off its lower jaw and most of the snout - he was clearly in extreme distress. I ran to the truck and grabbed my Nylon 66. I shot him between the eyes and he dropped. That doesn't make .22 LR an ethical deer cartridge. But proper shot placement matters more than anything. I found out later that one of my neighbors had shot the deer with one of those scope-mounted modern muzzleloaders that sends a heavy solid copper bullet at something like 2600 FPS. It doesn't matter what you use if you miss the vital parts. But it makes me sick to think that his weapon counts as a "primitive weapon" while my .45-70 or .50-70 Govt doesn't.

And even with proper shot placement and a good bullet, there is no guaranteed one-shot drop that works every time. I've seen a deer run 800 meters after taking a .270 Winchester to the heart and lungs. We followed the blood trail from point of impact to the downed animal. It was a good strong blood trail the whole way. My brother swore he placed the bullet just right. Under my breath, I was cursing my brother for gut-shooting the damned thing, but it turned out he shot the damned thing through the heart and both lungs. The deer didn't have much inside his chest cavity besides pink and red clots, but he still ran. That kind of stuff can happen no matter what cartridge you use.

I've also had a deer show no sign that I even hit him with my .25-06, leave no visible blood trail, but drop dead after 50-60 yards. I could have sworn I somehow missed him, but out of diligence I started sweeping back and forth the direction he ran. I found him crumpled behind a fallen tree. Again, solid shot through the heart. Bullet performed as expected, but not every deer will drop with one well-placed shot.

Here in Virginia, it's illegal to use rifles below .224 on deer. It hasn't stopped a lot of bubbas out in my neighborhood from using a .223 or .22-250, but I have too much to lose to do something contrary to the laws of the Commonwealth. As someone who carried a 5.56 and depended on it for my life - and know that it works just fine on 150-250 pound animals - I would never doubt that a hunter can kill deer with that caliber. I've never understood why the Commonwealth forbids it, but it's been that way forever. I think a certain amount of the hate stems from the old-fashioned distrust of the 5.56mm NATO when compared with the 7.62 NATO. I still run into a few old-timers who grumble about how the military should have never switched from the M14 to the M16/M4 platform. I suspect it's the same old-timers who wrote the hunting regulations back in the 1960s-1970s.
A 223 or 22-250 is .224

I should have checked the actual law. I thought it was written as .224 or below, but it actually says "less than 23."

4VAC15-270-10. Size rifles for hunting bear, elk, and deer.
It shall be unlawful to use a rifle of a caliber less than 23 for the hunting of bear, elk, and deer.

Last edited by Q_Sertorius; 03/27/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Coues, Mule Deer, Whitetail, Blacktail, small southern Whitetail???

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugger
Doubt 1 of them are any tougher than the other.

We have killed several western Missouri bucks that were 180-200# and the one I killed probably went 225# on hoof.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

We have killed several western Missouri bucks that were 180-200# and the one I killed probably went 225# on hoof.

I disagree.Ive hunted deer all over the USA. Deer size can easily be three to one in size. No way they are all the same.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/27/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I disagree.
Glad to know that.

So big bigger deer are harder to get to give up the ghost?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I disagree.
Glad to know that.

Clearly you’ve had very little experience!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I hunted deer in Missouri. They are pretty small compared to large Mule Deer.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I disagree.
Glad to know that.

Clearly you’ve had very little experience!
Enough to know that deer are small easy to kill critters.

Even a broadhead makes very short work of one.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I hunted deer in Missouri. They are pretty small compared to large Mule Deer.
North Missouri or South Missouri?

Plenty of 200-250# deer from our area clear up to Iowa.

Have killed them from the Ozarks to Iowa. All died pretty easily when hit in the vitals.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/27/24.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sometimes!

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Sometimes!
Same could be said of a few I have seen shot with belted magnums.

I try to match the tool to the job. No need to use a sledge hammer to drive a thumb tack.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
For those who hunt with .224 caliber bullets, based on your experiences, would you be confident taking a 200 lb deer on a quartering shot?

If so, with what sort of bullet and at what impact velocity?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pinnah
For those who hunt with .224 caliber bullets, based on your experiences, would you be confident taking a 200 lb deer on a quartering shot?

I'd do it without hesitation. Using the 50 or 55 gr. Barnes TSX at about 3700 FPS

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
22-250 or a 220 Swift probably others too work just fine on deer its the bullet that makes the difference we use 60 gr. Nosler Partitions and there are many other bullet brands that will work.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I used Partitions for a number of years in the 22-250.

Shots ranged from 15 yards to around 75 yards in the area we were hunting. Broadside or quartering to/away.

Barnes would be even better but I wouldn't expect the blood trails like the Partition gave me if deer ran.

The buck in the above pic was shot at 15-20 yards through the blades which aren't very tough. 225# or so on hoof.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/28/24.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
[/b][b]
Originally Posted by DubThomas

I'd do it without hesitation. Using the 50 or 55 gr. Barnes TSX at about 3700 FPS

Impact velocity of 3700 FPS?

What I'm wondering is what the effective range of a .224 bullet, but range depends on muzzle velocity which determines impact velocity at some distance.

Assuming you meant 3700 FPS, out to what distance would you be confident taking a quartering shot?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[/b][b]
Originally Posted by DubThomas

Impact velocity of 3700 FPS?

What I'm wondering is what the effective range of a .224 bullet, but range depends on muzzle velocity which determines impact velocity at some distance.

Assuming you meant 3700 FPS, out to what distance would you be confident taking a quartering shot?
I will catch hell for this but I wouldn't be a bit afraid to shoot a quartering deer with a 22-250 or Swift out to about 300 yards with a mono. Even a bonded bullet if they would shoot good.

On broadside deer we have used various soft points and even saw a doe shot at about 350 with the Swift and 55 grain V-Max.

The 22-250 or Swift will drive a 50 a couple hundred FPS faster than that 3700 so I am not sure where the impact velocity would hit 3700. Wouldn't be any hesitation here.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/28/24.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Good question! Me, depends on how well I shoot the rifle! A 200# deer in any angle shot can be killed instantly with a 22 cal center fire cartridge. Just depends on where you place the bullet your using! Where the catch comes in is say a 22-250 with a 50gr bullet shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yds from a bench rest is fine but move to even 200 yds and a field position and suddenly that 22-250 becomes a different animal! As for impact velocity, I wonder how much velocity is required to penetrate the brain of a deer? or how about the neck and break the spine. Velocity would not be the problem I think but rather placement. Bullet placement will make up for some velocity loss but velocity will not make up for poor placement for the bullet your using!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DonFischer

Good question! Me, depends on how well I shoot the rifle! A 200# deer in any angle shot can be killed instantly with a 22 cal center fire cartridge. Just depends on where you place the bullet your using! Where the catch comes in is say a 22-250 with a 50gr bullet shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yds from a bench rest is fine but move to even 200 yds and a field position and suddenly that 22-250 becomes a different animal! As for impact velocity, I wonder how much velocity is required to penetrate the brain of a deer? or how about the neck and break the spine. Velocity would not be the problem I think but rather placement. Bullet placement will make up for some velocity loss but velocity will not make up for poor placement for the bullet your using!
The question was about quartering deer so one is pretty safe assuming he is talking about getting to the vitals via breaking shoulders or coming up from the back of the ribs on quartering away.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,397
Posts18,488,893
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.