Hop To
Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RIO7
Blackheart, Yes I'm old 85 years old been shooting sense i was 6 years old when my uncle thought me how to shoot and be safe with a rifle started hunting when i was 8 years old killed my first Elk and Mule Deer that year in our hay pasture sense then i have hunted every year and i've hunted big and small game and Birds from Coast in the U.S. and Canada, and this old fool knows a FRAUD when he sees one your IT! Rio7
You don't know your ass hole from your elbow gramps. Stick said it best long ago.... "what passes for hunting in Texas is never not hilarious." They don't allow "hunting" over the feeders at the zoo here so you Texas clowns are SOL.

PS

Put your tree houses closer to your feeders and you won't need to shoot so far. LOL

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by BC30cal
T Inman;
Good evening my friend, I hope the last week of the 3rd month has been behaving for you and you're well up there.

Since I do watch Jim on Backfire on occasion, I was aware of his challenge.

To be crystal clear, as I believe you know of me T, I don't yet own a laser range finder and while I do have a couple scopes that seem to dial fairly reliably, I really haven't spent the time learning to do it.

However as you said, that doesn't mean nobody can or that I believe no one should.

This young guide from Wyoming puts in a pretty fair showing with a stock Tikka and Hornady ammo.

Again as I said to Jordan, my participation is to encourage hunters who shoot near or far to go take a look once they shoot with whatever it is they're hunting with.
As always, I appreciate your input on subjects T as I know you've put in the time on the mountain - well on the flat lands too likely, but it's a BC saying maybe... wink

Best to you sir.

Dwayne

Yeah I have watched that one also.

Factory rifle shooting factory ammo without a spotter.

If we are talking LR shooting then using video of beginners shooting factory ammo in factory rifles is not indicative of the state of the art.
So when are you calling Jim to tell him you're up to it and ready to prove it ? Lotta big talk here. You'd think somebody would step up.
I stepped up a long time ago.

That's not 100 milk jugs in a row and doesn't really prove anything. For all I know you might put a bad hit on every third animal you shoot at.

Show us your skillz, player.

Or whine like a puzzy at those who do what you can't. laugh

Those skills would be worthless to me. There is no place to develop them or to put them to use where I live and hunt.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Things you hear onlookers say immediately after a long range hunter takes a poke.....

"Damn boy, the vitals are in the other end of that critter"... LOL

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Now I have never heard a long range hunter admit to making a bad shot! Never heard one tell of a cripple or a dead animal off 500 yds they left because they couldn't find it either. Ever heard of a long range hunter miss judging the wind? I haven't!

I don’t know if this counts but my brother took this bull at 675 yards. We’d thought about a mil of wind and we guessed wrong, luckily the next shot done quickly put him down with a touch more hold.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

After getting to the bull we may have gotten closer or maybe we might have spooked them out. Don’t know but we practice as much as we can in the rain, wind, etc and agree, things do happen. I do err on the side of caution with big 7’s and larger. I don’t know it helps but it makes us feel better.

I’d much rather shoot them close but on public land in the west if you’re not prepared to shoot a bit longer than what’s normal you may not fill your coolers which is fine, we’ve gone home empty a few times. I’ve also flubbed a couple close shots as well I shouldn’t have.

I like to see and learn from others who do it close and far and in between.

Hope you all are having a great night.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope your part of Wyoming is getting seasonally appropriate and tolerable weather and that you're well on the last Wednesday of the 3rd month of what's turning out to be a bit of an exciting year.

As I mentioned to T, I know a couple fellows who teach long range shooting to LEO, civilians and maybe some military too, not sure about that last client or not, but for sure they're not using factory rifles, though the ammo often is factory selected I want to say.

Nonetheless I was impressed with the performance capabilities of the Tikka with the Hornady ammo, as you mentioned too without a spotter. That said, he seemed to be doing a decent job of seeing where he hit enough to make corrections and then make connections, so again not nothing.

In talking to the local guides for the past 40 years, I know that it's their job and that young fellow's as well to do what I've been encouraging everyone to do, which is go see if the animal was hit or not after the shot.

In his reply, T Inman mentioned it's often hard to find a particular spot after crossing a creek and/or a canyon and I'd say a hearty "Amen" to that thought for sure. We've found it helpful to carry trail tape and put a couple big strands where we've shot from since sometimes it's been necessary to go back at least once to get the bearings on where the animal was.

For sure too those times it's easier to accomplish with a hunting partner, but knowing exactly where I shot from has assisted me a couple times hunting solo too.

Anyways just a few thoughts from someone who admittedly cannot do what was in the video, but from a teaching perspective find the subject useful.

All the best.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

If one wishes to shoot game at longer range I would say a spotter is very close to mandatory.

Some guys simply enjoy hunting alone and that should be a factor in the type of shots they would take.

A good spotter is a "force multiplier" when hunting and I will take more difficult shots knowing a competent spotter is watching in case of a mistake, at any range from close to far. 4 eyes beat 2 by more than twice as much. A good spotter will see the trace of the bullet on the way to the target.

The video you posted is a good example as a spotter would have seen the issue quickly and given the info to correct for the wind and probably provided a better wind call all right from the get go.

I think LR game shooting should be considered a team effort to do it at the higher levels.

Those skills would be worthless to me. There is no place to develop them or to put them to use where I live and hunt.

So quit whimpering about those that have a place to use such skills. You got your small world all figured out. Stop trying to fit everything into that small world and enjoy your style of hunting.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Xspurt
It's called long range hunting. Nuthin about huntin all about shootin. Get it right.

Dude, did someone hurt you when you were small?

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope your part of Wyoming looks promising this morning and that you're well.

Thanks for the reply, I do believe you're 100% correct in terms of the difference a spotter would make for sure.

Actually when I look back at a lifetime of different hunts here in our local mountains, especially after a couple hard lessons, when I'm solo which is about 3/4 of the time, I do tend to shoot much closer.

Hopefully it's okay with you sir, but I'm going to put that, "I think LR game shooting should be considered a team effort to do it at the higher levels" into my Hunter Safety teaching "answers to questions" storage bank.

Well said and for sure for those beginning hunters it's likely much more important.

It occurs to me too that whenever I've had a tough tracking or even just finding downed game task, having another set of eyes had never been a detriment.

Thanks again and all the best to you this Easter sir.

Dwayne

Edit to add;

Now the trick will be to remember just exactly where in that "answers to questions" storage bank I've put that.....

Getting old has some plusses and some definite challenges.... blush frown

Last edited by BC30cal; 03/28/24.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
John;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope your part of Wyoming looks promising this morning and that you're well.

Thanks for the reply, I do believe you're 100% correct in terms of the difference a spotter would make for sure.

Actually when I look back at a lifetime of different hunts here in our local mountains, especially after a couple hard lessons, when I'm solo which is about 3/4 of the time, I do tend to shoot much closer.

Hopefully it's okay with you sir, but I'm going to put that, "I think LR game shooting should be considered a team effort to do it at the higher levels" into my Hunter Safety teaching "answers to questions" storage bank.

Well said and for sure for those beginning hunters it's likely much more important.

It occurs to me too that whenever I've had a tough tracking or even just finding downed game task, having another set of eyes had never been a detriment.

Thanks again and all the best to you this Easter sir.

Dwayne

Edit to add;

Now the trick will be to remember just exactly where in that "answers to questions" storage bank I've put that.....

Getting old has some plusses and some definite challenges.... blush frown

Good post!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think it's ego that drives excessive range shooting. That and a miss conception that it's the only shot you'll get. I hear quite often about the shot "I had to take". That shot does exist but usually it's a dangerous game animal attacking you and rather than at 600 yds, it's at 6 feet! After that there is never a shot you have to take! That is nothing more than an excuse for taking a low odds shot. Low odds may be different for some people as I'm sure some do practice at extreme ranges. But reading wind plays into it at long range and reading wind is done pretty well by some I think but not by most! I have been asked a few times to take shots I know I was not qualified to take, I turn them down. Thing I'd hate to do is wound some animal for a lingering death or even worse, loose it! But I'll admit sometimes getting closer can be a challenge but I'd still rather give up the shot than risk wounding. Down side is shooting game at long range is not illegal, should be I think but how do you enforce it? Simply have to hope the shooter is as good as he claims, few are!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think it's ego that drives excessive range shooting. That and a miss conception that it's the only shot you'll get. I hear quite often about the shot "I had to take". That shot does exist but usually it's a dangerous game animal attacking you and rather than at 600 yds, it's at 6 feet! After that there is never a shot you have to take! That is nothing more than an excuse for taking a low odds shot. Low odds may be different for some people as I'm sure some do practice at extreme ranges. But reading wind plays into it at long range and reading wind is done pretty well by some I think but not by most! I have been asked a few times to take shots I know I was not qualified to take, I turn them down. Thing I'd hate to do is wound some animal for a lingering death or even worse, loose it! But I'll admit sometimes getting closer can be a challenge but I'd still rather give up the shot than risk wounding. Down side is shooting game at long range is not illegal, should be I think but how do you enforce it? Simply have to hope the shooter is as good as he claims, few are!
Why is it the LR (600yard) rifle hunter put into this category, I guess in your book the 80,90,100, yard bow hunters don't count.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well your wrong. Those guy's using bows at those distances I find as bad or worse. The good thing about it is there aren't that many guy's getting on the internet bragging about it and in turn encouraging other's to do it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well your wrong. Those guy's using bows at those distances I find as bad or worse. The good thing about it is there aren't that many guy's getting on the internet bragging about it and in turn encouraging other's to do it.
Well you never mentioned it, its always the BAD, UNETHICAL ,EGO, etc LR rifle hunter.
What does bragging about it in the internet have anything to do with it, how many T.V shows do you see guys letting an arrow loose at 80 yards? PLENTY

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/28/24.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The guys that bitch the most about long range hunters are simply comparing their own shi tty rifle skills and pissing n moaning about those who can shoot

If you can't use a modern high velocity cartridge out to it's effective killing range, you're one dumb mofo

go back to the range and practice till you learn how to use a rifle properly and quit bitching about it

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
How do you keep the bullet from dropping?
You shoot way out there and the bullets got to drop some.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Well you never mentioned it, its always the BAD, UNETHICAL ,EGO, etc LR rifle hunter.
What does bragging about it in the internet have anything to do with it, how many T.V shows do you see guys letting an arrow loose at 80 yards? PLENTY
I must have missed those shows.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Yeah, me too. Must be a Western thing. Everybody in my camp bow hunts. None consider their max range more than 40 yards and the closer the better. One uses a recurve and won't shoot past 20 yards. He's arrowed a lot of nice buck within that distance.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah, me too. Must be a Western thing. Everybody in my camp bow hunts. None consider their max range more than 40 yards and the closer the better. One uses a recurve and won't shoot past 20 yards. He's arrowed a lot of nice buck within that distance.
Yeah I know all us western folk are just LR slob, UNETHICAL can't hunt POS hunters i get it.
But when it comes time to kill an elk or M.D who they asking advice from not you eastern type.
Pretty hard to take a shot farther than 20 yards when you can't see much farther than that in your woods.

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/28/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah I know all us western folk are just LR slob, UNETHICAL can't hunt POS hunters i get it.
But when it comes time to kill an elk or M.D who they asking advice from not you eastern type.
Pretty hard to take a shot farther than 20 yards when you can't see much farther than that in your woods.
I just said I missed the hunting shows where they're shooting at game that's 80 yards off.

Never said a thing about Western hunters being slob hunters.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said all Western hunters are slobs. What I said was I never saw any shows where bow hunters took 80 yard shots. No bowhunter I know around here would attempt a shot that far so if you have seen it, it might be a Western thing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

86 yards

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 17 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,893
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.