Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
After trying a few, I haven't become a fan of Tequila, but my son the spirits expert thinks I might like a Mezcal since some of them have a smoky flavor. I love the Islay scotches, and I don't expect anything like that but I think I might like even a light smoky nose and taste in a Mezcal. Having tried none of them, I'm open to suggestions on brands and varieties that are widely available and reasonably priced. Thanks

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's the difference between Mezcal and Tequila or is this like an Irish vs Scotch type of thing?

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
What's the difference between Mezcal and Tequila or is this like an Irish vs Scotch type of thing?

No, it's a huge difference. Made from a different plant and processed in a different manner. Tequila uses only blue agave and mezcal uses any species of agave. Tequila cooks the agave with steam heat usually and mezcal uses wood coals. The smoky flavor of mezcal comes from the cooking process, except the cheap stuff that uses artificial flavors. Fermentation process is a little different too.

Like any other alcohol, there's a huge difference in quality of tequila and mezcal on the market. The good stuff is still made the same way they made it over 100 years ago. The cheap stuff takes shortcuts and adds flavoring to simulate aging and proper distillation.

I drink a lot of tequila but don't like the smoky flavor of mezcal. As far as brands, the only mezcal I've really drank enough is Wahaka and Vida. Both are supposed to be good choices but I could never get over the smoke flavor. Those are two brands that I would suggest trying if you are getting into mezcal.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
All tequila is mezcal, but not all mezcal is tequila.

I think mezcal is nasty. Some mezcal goes for high dollar so some people like it.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

I think mezcal is nasty. Some mezcal goes for high dollar so some people like it.

P

No they aren't. I get your point as they can both be made from the same agave plant, but it's a completely different process for both. They are cooked and fermented differently.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Bozal! Not real cheap, but the best

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

P

No they aren't. I get your point as they can both be made from the same agave plant, but it's a completely different process for both. They are cooked and fermented differently.

The interweb disagrees with you.

“Technically, all tequila is mezcal. The term mezcal refers to spirits made from the agave plant, while tequila refers to a specific type of mezcal that can only be made from blue Weber agave in five Mexican states.”

Or

“The simplest way to think about it, explains Sydney Block, co-founder of Catedral Mi Padre Mezcal, is that all tequila is mezcal but not all mezcal is tequila. Mezcal is a vast category of spirits made from agave and tequila is a small subset of mezcal, much like bourbon is a kind of whiskey, or Chardonnay is a kind of wine.”

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also, when you say you don't like Tequila, what have you tried? There's a huge difference in quality of brands and aging. If you prefer the taste of aged spirits and really enjoy the smoky oak taste of the barrel, you should be drinking the anejo version of whatever brand you get. I don't like that flavor and prefer a reposada version. Aged just enough to add some of the oak flavor, but not a strong aged barrel taste.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

P

“Technically, all tequila is mezcal. The term mezcal refers to spirits made from the agave plant, while tequila refers to a specific type of mezcal that can only be made from blue Weber agave in five Mexican states.”

Or

“The simplest way to think about it, explains Sydney Block, co-founder of Catedral Mi Padre Mezcal, is that all tequila is mezcal but not all mezcal is tequila. Mezcal is a vast category of spirits made from agave and tequila is a small subset of mezcal, much like bourbon is a kind of whiskey, or Chardonnay is a kind of wine.”

P

Sorry, I'm not going by the google but the actual difference between the two. It's a different cooking process and fermentation. But if you want to say mashed potato and french fries are the same since they both come from a potato, then sure, I get your point. “Technically" or in other words, over simplification for those who know nothing about either.

Either way, drink'em both if you like them. Just drink the good stuff.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
2 oz Lunazul blanco
.5 oz fresh lime juice
6 oz Fresca

Combine the above in a shaker with ice, shake, pour into a Collins glass with ice and a salted rim. Lime wedge for garnish.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

P

Or

P

Sorry, I'm not going by the google but the actual difference between the two. It's a different cooking process and fermentation. But if you want to say mashed potato and french fries are the same since they both come from a potato, then sure, I get your point. “Technically" or in other words, over simplification for those who know nothing about either.

Either way, drink'em both if you like them. Just drink the good stuff.

One, I ain’t the one defining the terms.

Another innanet comparison:

“After all, both bourbon and whiskey are brown liquids — they look about the same. And to add to the possible confusion, if you just refer to bourbon as whiskey, you wouldn't be wrong. Bourbon is a type of whiskey, much the way that Champagne is a type of wine. So all bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon.”

Two, a better comparison is steak fries and jojos are both taters.

Either go well with the Fresca paloma, and a burger.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't speak to Mezcal, but I dig good, aged tequilla - Añejo !!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Couple of great examples !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
I
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Also, when you say you don't like Tequila, what have you tried? There's a huge difference in quality of brands and aging. If you prefer the taste of aged spirits and really enjoy the smoky oak taste of the barrel, you should be drinking the anejo version of whatever brand you get. I don't like that flavor and prefer a reposada version. Aged just enough to add some of the oak flavor, but not a strong aged barrel taste.

I didn't even try the clear tequilas, but did try reposados from Olmeca, El Jimador, Espolon and Teremana. Maybe I just need to step up to the anejo of one of them. Thanks for the suggestions, send more.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This is not the case and any site that says it is is a long way out of date. Here is the NOM for Mezcal and here is the one for tequila. If you don't read Spanish there may be a Texan in the thread who will translate.

Or this article or this one summarizes in English.

Essentially, most all tequila is made in Jalisco and a spirit made in Jalisco can't be labeled Mezcal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by immature
I think I might like even a light smoky nose and taste in a Mezcal. Having tried none of them, I'm open to suggestions on brands and varieties that are widely available and reasonably priced.

The smokiest ones I have tried still aren't Islay level stuff, but the smoke is still there are I like it.

A good bet is to buy anything from Del Maguey. They make a wide variety of mezcals all over the price range, label them accurately, and it is all straight forward honest non-fooled around with stuff.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't forget about the worm.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by immature

I didn't even try the clear tequilas, but did try reposados from Olmeca, El Jimador, Espolon and Teremana. Maybe I just need to step up to the anejo of one of them. Thanks for the suggestions, send more.

I know you probably don't want to go buy any more tequila, but if tasting I'd suggest only brands that are certified additive free. There's a huge difference between real aged agave flavor and the cheaper products using additives. By cheaper I don't mean the price the consumer pays as that often has little to do with quality.

Here's some sources and I'm sure there are others: https://tastetequila.com/2023/confirmed-additive-free-tequila-brands/ https://tequilamatchmaker.com/

Also remember that the flavor changes over time as the agave is a 7-10 year old plant and the flavors come from soil and climate conditions while growing. There can be subtle changes in tastes from one year to the next of the same brand.

I like a lot of different brands. Currently in my home now are El Tesoro, G4, Arette, and Fortaleza. All reposados as that's my level of oak aging I like. The El Tesoro is my current favorite.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,567
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.