Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I apologize for this simple question, but I have not yet found the info I need.

Been busy with grandkids, fishing, selling trailers, trading trucks etc….and what not and found myself in a time crunch.

Bought a beater F150….2014 … and have been working diligently to get it in useable shape for a weekend trip to the mountains.

BUT…. It is now acting funny and displaying different and seemingly.. to me….odd DIC messages…. Runs, but telling me different things are not right……….. ……

Got some info my sister who one time managed a transmission repair shop and she tells me to get an OBD2 scanner…..

She tells me to be sure to get one that can “clear codes” and “clear faults” ….. because not all OBD2 scanners do this well.

Having said all that, what scanner should I go get?

Thanks,

TF

Last edited by TF49; 03/28/24.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't think you can go too far wrong with anything by Autel. Pricey...until you figure that shop labor is now around 120 bucks an hour.
They all read codes ok, but they all don't clear codes ok.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Go to Amazon and pick your poison.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Unless it’s a fluke, the code is being triggered by a sensor detecting something is wrong. Clear it and it will return if condition is still wrong.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Some of the auto store chains (Napa, O’Reilley, etc) will have a loaner.

If you live close enough to one, take it out in the parking lot, clear the codes, then see which ones return after driving some more.

IC B2

T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Unless it’s a fluke, the code is being triggered by a sensor detecting something is wrong. Clear it and it will return if condition is still wrong.

Yes, but clearing may get me out of “limp mode” when the cause of the limp mode is bogus or just some confused ecu model caused by a currently mysterious short or ?

Ie…Honda Odyssey transmission went into limp mode running across Nevada, my sister cleared fault and ran another 100 miles or so before it did again. Got to NoCal and husband fixed it there.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Some of the auto store chains (Napa, O’Reilley, etc) will have a loaner.

If you live close enough to one, take it out in the parking lot, clear the codes, then see which ones return after driving some more.

I could do that…. We have a very well run O’Reilly here in Loveland.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've been using this one for a couple of years to read and clear codes on several vehicles we own. It works well and isn't expensive. It does not give diagnostic information- - - -jot down the codes it displays and do a net search for repair suggestions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223991446572?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought this one: Autel AP200 bluetooth scanner. It connects to my phone, shows codes, clears codes, live data.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought an actron scanner probably 15 years ago that does all I need. Right now 20-40 buck scanners abound that do what you want.
Now about limp mode, that is usually caused by the tranny. I suspect that the low pressure switch is activated. Low pressure is a good indication of needing a filter swap. The last one I worked on in limp mode the filter had partially separated and was allowing fluid leakage.

Swifty
IC B3

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Autel

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You could disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and see what happens.
My sister had an emissions code that disappeared when her battery died. My BIL pulled it out, ran it to Costco to warranty. A half hour later with a new battery and the code hasn't come back.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by smarquez
My sister had an emissions code that disappeared when her battery died. My BIL pulled it out, ran it to Costco to warranty. A half hour later with a new battery and the code hasn't come back.

I think that after you disconnect the battery you need to take the positive cable and connect it to the negative post on the battery in order to discharge the computer.
Double check this advice before doing it…😵

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

I think that after you disconnect the battery you need to take the positive cable and connect it to the negative post on the battery in order to discharge the computer.
Double check this advice before doing it…😵

Dont do that you will fry the puter, but that will clear the codes. Disconnect the battery then let sit 10-15 min and the caps in the air bags and puter will discharge on their own. Hook up the positive cable first to avoid arcing on reconnect which can also fry the puter.

Swifty
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Obsolete info- - - - -OBD II systems have a "keep alive" battery in the computer that retains memory for several days at a minimum. The light might go out, but the code stays in long term memory. The battery disconnect is like taking an aspirin for the headache caused by a brain tumor- - - -helps the symptom without treating the cause of the problem.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A slightly weak battery can cause hordes of problems.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Well, I got in the truck, started it up….turned on the radio and got a strange raspy noise from the left door speaker and two fairly loud pops. Radio is now very fuzzy.

Truck still runs good but radio not so much.

No jumble of DIC messages…..so?

Guess I will go ahead and take it to the mountains on Saturday.

IDK what’s wrong. Will order an OBD gizmo tonight, but now not hopeful it will give me much info.

Maybe take it to the “sound doctor” next week.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln

Obsolete info- - - - -OBD II systems have a "keep alive" battery in the computer that retains memory for several days at a minimum. The light might go out, but the code stays in long term memory. The battery disconnect is like taking an aspirin for the headache caused by a brain tumor- - - -helps the symptom without treating the cause of the problem.
I haven't scanned it with my code reader so good advice. It is a 2000 Toyota Camry so it's an early OBD II system, I'll check it tomorrow.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got real chit ...u don't need..it's free at the auto parts shop to have them look ...or. ...get a blue driver... Amazon.... 99% of what you need is in blue driver.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I picked up one for 14 bucks about 4 years ago on Amazon.....It works and clears codes fine.... every time I forget and fill my truck up and leave it running it sets a code

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (219DW, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 66 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,813
Posts18,477,617
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.