Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19335738 03/27/24
E
Etoh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Any one worked with this caliber. Just got a new Sig STX and thinking of 45 Super. Looks to me like recoil spring change and brass is all that is needed.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have recently gone to .45 Supers out a Kimber Custom II. Depending on how far you want to push things, I went to a 25# mainspring, extra power firing pin spring, flat firing pin stop, and up to 28# recoil spring.

You could mod less with keeping them at about 950 fps. I only changed my FPS, and put in a 22# recoil spring at this level. I had no issues with my gun.

You are working with something different, and I cannot advise you what to do with your gun. Only information about what worked for mine with my handloads.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
‘Nate, when you reference 950fps, are you talking 230’s or 250’s?

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
250gr.
I'm at 1125 fps average with 250gr out of mine as described.
I also sent my barrel to Cylinder Bore as it was to tight in the throat. He did his full treatment on it as the chamber was slightly out of spec as well. Mine now functions without issue.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

E
Etoh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by BigNate
I have recently gone to .45 Supers out a Kimber Custom II. Depending on how far you want to push things, I went to a 25# mainspring, extra power firing pin spring, flat firing pin stop, and up to 28# recoil spring.

You could mod less with keeping them at about 950 fps. I only changed my FPS, and put in a 22# recoil spring at this level. I had no issues with my gun.

You are working with something different, and I cannot advise you what to do with your gun. Only information about what worked for mine with my handloads.

great information, thanks. I will start with a Brownells chamber reamer and go from there.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Etoh

great information, thanks. I will start with a Brownells chamber reamer and go from there.

Chamber reamer for what purpose?

E
Etoh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
250gr.
I'm at 1125 fps average with 250gr out of mine as described.
I also sent my barrel to Cylinder Bore as it was to tight in the throat. He did his full treatment on it as the chamber was slightly out of spec as well. Mine now functions without issue.

Very few factory 1911 (and most others) are chambered, as Nate mentioned tight in throat. Unless you getting a Clark, Wilson, Bar-STO you can count on them not being dimension. The very worst are Colt series 70 which was when I started doing it, 30 years ago.
Another reason I do it, is creates a little free bore without changing case dimension/barrel relationship, think Weatherby. ON my 9mm I shoot 38 super and +P+ loads without pressure signs.

E
Etoh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Side note. One is a major 9 build by Clark 35 years ago, with over 200,000 rds thru it. And unsupported feed ramp.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Interesting read so far. Etch could you give a more complete break down on a full change up from plain vanilla 45 ACP to 45 Super. What platform do you suggest to start with, what parts, gunsmith, etc. I have a BarSto premium barrel in my Sig 229. 40 S&W with a heavier 21 lb spring. I don’t run it too hard but it certainly doesn’t feed on factory loads. 180 hardcast wide meplat max loads/+P.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Etoh
Any one worked with this caliber. Just got a new Sig STX and thinking of 45 Super. Looks to me like recoil spring change and brass is all that is needed.

Is it a fully supported chamber?

Do you intend on buying or loading your own?

Samuel Colt.

IC B3

E
Etoh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
No it is not a fully supported chamber. Internet search on 460 Rowlands show regular barrel ramp, although I'm sure the chamber and ramp are much tighter than say a Springfield or Colt. A Brownell chamber reamer was used until the leades were nice and shiny. By hand twisting the reamer I can feel the high spots being removed as it slowly moves down the barrel. The barrel was pretty clean compared to some Ive done in the past. A lot of black stuff came out and I'm assuming its some type of Nitride as the entire barrel is coated black. I reload so the first 100 rounds already put through the gun were 200 gr. jacketed and Longshot just past Horrnady manual max. for that load. Large rifle primers, taper crimp. Pressure signs were as I would expect but nothing scary or outstanding. Put in an order for a Wolf 22lb spring and extra strength firing pin spring, they come in a package, and 100 45 Super brass from Midway and am waiting now. I anticipate the finial pressures will be in the 20000, 22000 psi range. nothing like my Sigs nightmare 357 sig at 30000.

In choosing a starting model, I wouldn't choose a striker type, as the lock up depends to much on correct spring weight and no hangups. I have blown out to many Glocks, Caniks, and Sigs to trust them as a strong starting model. And thats saying nothing about a split plastic frame. This conversion really isn't much to worry about, I trust Sig barrels. A more complex project was making a 38 Rowland using 460 brass and a BarSto customers barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For both the trouble and performance, would probably go w/ the .460 Rowland.

Like the .40 Super even better.

GR

E
Etoh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Garandimal
For both the trouble and performance, would probably go w/ the .460 Rowland.

Like the .40 Super even better.

GR

Looks like fun, but whats the difference between it and a 10mm? what case are they using ?? What gun are you using. I build my 38 some 25 years ago, using 45 mag brass-- Rowland wasn't invented yet. Use 38/45 Clerke dies. get 2000fps from 158gr.

Last edited by Etoh; 03/31/24.

E
Etoh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Looked it up on Wikipedia, interesting. Now that cases are available sounds like a good project for my 10mm Camp Guard. Im geting 2400fps from 60gr Civil defense from a Glock 40 currently in 10mm.
First bottle neck ever played with about 35 years ago was a Blackhawk with the cylinder reamed to 357/44 Bain and Davis. Very impressive until the cone was shot out.

E
Etoh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Looks like all the parts are on back order, Starline brass, Leheigh loaded rds, even as a source for brass. for the 40 Super sounded fun though

E
Etoh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Update

22lb. Variable Wolf spring, with stiffer firing pin. 200 gr.. Hornady 9 gr. Longshot, mag pistol primers. 1150 fps. 230 power factor.
brass ejection about 6 ft. no pressure signs. So far everything
185 gr cast at 1000 fps. runs good still cycles.

Thinking about a bushiness/bull barrel from Wilson as next step.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I run HS6 or Power Pistol in my 45 Super pushing 200 gr XTP’s at 1250 fps comfortably. Worked up to 1300 fps, but backed it down to 1250 with excellent accuracy.

Use a 10 mm Delta Elite Wolff spring kit & Starline brass. After an unexpected meeting with a Mountain Lion, I carry the 1911 45 Super and reserve my SAA 45 Colt for range work.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don’t load 45 super but for 45acp+p I switched to Ramshot Silhouette. Good results and it meters like water. All so using it for 9mm+p, 38sp+p, and non+p in those same calibers.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Back in the early 2000s I did a ton of experimenting and load work-up with the 45 Super. Someone collated a bunch of the shared data (I think all the data that lists the case used were my loads). Other's loads are in here as well. My favorite bullet was that Hunter Supply 275, but I don't think they make that anymore. I eventually got out of the 45 in general, but still have most of that data. Obviously work up to those loads.

https://www.1911forum.com/attachments/45super-doc.25437/

Unfortunately the original thread on the 1911 forum isn't available as there was a lot of info on the 45 Super in that thread.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Thegman
Back in the early 2000s I did a ton of experimenting and load work-up with the 45 Super. Someone collated a bunch of the shared data (I think all the data that lists the case used were my loads). Other's loads are in here as well. My favorite bullet was that Hunter Supply 275, but I don't think they make that anymore. I eventually got out of the 45 in general, but still have most of that data. Obviously work up to those loads.

https://www.1911forum.com/attachments/45super-doc.25437/

Unfortunately the original thread on the 1911 forum isn't available as there was a lot of info on the 45 Super in that thread.

Did you cut the powder charge column off intentionally?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

311 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 29aholic, 30Gibbs, 32 invisible), 2,207 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,343
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.