Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
would .003-.004" less on shoulder/comparator measurement than, factory ammo be too much slop to fire safely? I'm using hornady case comparator set. All the other rounds loaded are within .001" of the factory Remington Core-Lokts. Thanks! smile I measured the factory rounds. There is .003" difference between the the the shortest and the longest measurement of the factory rounds. My shortest handload is .002" shorter than shortest factory round. Probably getting confusing sorry lol!

Last edited by p5200; 03/28/24.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by p5200
would .003-.004" less on shoulder/comparator measurement than, factory ammo be too much slop to fire safely? I'm using hornady case comparator set. All the other rounds loaded are within .001" of the factory Remington Core-Lokts. Thanks! smile I measured the factory rounds. There is .003" difference between the the the shortest and the longest measurement of the factory rounds. My shortest handload is .002" shorter than shortest factory round. Probably getting confusing sorry lol!

Factory ammo is always going to measure "short". I'd be more concerned about what the measurement is of once fired vs. factory vs. your handloads. With that being said, your handloads probably shouldn't be shorter than the factory ammo. That factory ammo uses virgin brass that is generally SAAMI spec. Your handloads, if you size right, should probably be a hair longer, when measuring with a comparator to the shoulder datum, than factory ammo.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I'll try to get some measurements after firing soon. In the meantime I'll not, fire the rounds in question yet. Thanks for your help!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
if your worried about the short ones load a bullet about .010 into the lands and use them as foulers after you clean your barrel, as long as mag box length allows and load isn't loaded hot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.oo3-4" is not a problem.................unless you have a gun with very long HS, like +.oo7" or more.

BUT, depending on you gun's HS, you do not want to make a practice of sizing brass much more than .oo2-3" less that whatever your fired brass is as stretching more will reduce case life, & in extreme cases, cause head separations.

IIRC, factory brass can go to about -oo4 to assuming SAAMI minimum HS is zero.

But I've seen factory brass as +.oo2-3" as well but pretty unusual.

MM

IC B2

P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks a lot for all the good info folks! The rifle is a Weatherby vanguard in .308

Last edited by p5200; 03/28/24.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
.oo3-4" is not a problem.................unless you have a gun with very long HS, like +.oo7" or more.

BUT, depending on you gun's HS, you do not want to make a practice of sizing brass much more than .oo2-3" less that whatever your fired brass is as stretching more will reduce case life, & in extreme cases, cause head separations.

MM

The way I read it he's not bumping .003" or .004", he's three or four under factory new. That's a lot of headspace in a typical chamber.

Am I missing something here?

P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Yes .003-.004" under factory.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman

MM

The way I read it he's not bumping .003" or .004", he's three or four under factory new. That's a lot of headspace in a typical chamber.

Am I missing something here?

That's kind of how I'm reading it too.. Sounds like he's pushing the shoulder back way too much, or maybe not reading the comparator right???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

MM

Thats why I said jam them into the lands just like a AI cartridge. I bump my brass .003 from fully formed brass.
I've seen new belted stuff .010 under fully formed brass

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/28/24.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The brass that’s .003-.004” under, is it new brass, or fired but not sized, or has it been resized?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes, that could be a problem, depending on what the HS on your chamber is.

If it's at SAAMI minimum, probably OK for 1 firing, but surely not for successive firing at that dimension below min.

MM

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by sherm_61

That's what I don't like about a lot of belted brass.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
First of all a dial caliper, which I'm assuming you're using, is not exactly a precision instrument in the wrong hands. 6 people can take readings on the same object and likely give six different measurements. It all depends on how consistent YOU are in using it. Practice on the same piece of brass; slight pressure on the caliper, and twist/wiggle the case a little to make sure it's seated completely at the case head and at the shoulder. Get a feel for getting the same measurement. Just the nature of your question suggests you don't have a lot of experience with using one.

And, why on earth are you not measuring fired cases and using THAT measurement to set up your die and determine a shoulder bump? As stated above factory ammo is loaded into virgin brass and absolutely the worst thing to reference by here.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I've got some fired brass from Remington Core-Lokt 180gr. Factory rounds but, the shoulders haven't changed much at all. All the brass I've been measuring measures the same every time I measure it. I've been measuring with a Mitutoyo digital Caliper which seems to be pretty consistent with its measurements. The way the fired factory cases are measuring now, they should still chamber fine as is with just neck Sizing.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Why are you measuring against loaded factory ammo? Thats totally meaningless. Measure against brass that has been fired in your chamber. Then bump back.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 03/28/24.
P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I just started with the new brass as a starting point. I was waiting on primer order. This new brass that I fired five rounds of might have increased .001" in shoulder measurements. 3 cases had no increase so I don't think I want to do any bumping until after 2 or 3 firings as I normally to with my 6.5 Creedmoor after the shoulders streach more. I also measure each fired case 3 or 4 times for consistency. But at this time there is nothing to bump back without going to equal or below the factory round measurements. All five fired rounds still chamber easily. Thanks!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by sherm_61

That's what I don't like about a lot of belted brass.
I've seen non belted be as much as .008 short, if you just reduce your load some and fire them you then you will be fine or jam them into the lands not a big deal for me I never do load development on virgin brass anyway. Most AI brass is way shorter to make so if you treat them like that no problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just started with the new brass as a starting point. I was waiting on primer order. This new brass that I fired five rounds of might have increased .001" in shoulder measurements. 3 cases had no increase so I don't think I want to do any bumping until after 2 or 3 firings as I normally to with my 6.5 Creedmoor after the shoulders streach more. I also measure each fired case 3 or 4 times for consistency. But at this time there is nothing to bump back without going to equal or below the factory round measurements. All five fired rounds still chamber easily. Thanks!

New brass never gets the shoulder bumped until 3rd firing to make sure its fully formed unless you want to make a false shoulder which should get it first time.

Swifty
P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Yeah, I'm thinking about loading some rounds with the bullets seated about .010" into the lands and see what that does. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,482 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,679
Posts18,493,859
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.