Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hot or cold, ham is just fine. We prefer the Fricke’s brand. I bake it per directions; 12 minutes per pound at 325*. Wrapped in foil, covered with brown sugar and fruit juice- pineapple, orange, apple, Dr Pepper, Coke or Root Beer. Sides are usually baked beans , tater salad. Make ham sandwiches from leftovers or ham salad. He’ll, I couldn’t be no Muslim- pork is too good so many ways.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never really cared about the temperature of my food; If it's good, and it isn't frozen... I'll eat it. I'm the guy on the jobsite eating homemade meatloaf cold while another is nuking top ramen.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yes

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
There is a restaurant not far from downtown Detroit on Michigan Avenue called Mike's Ham Place. Sliced right off the bone served warm any way you want it. On an Onion Roll or Rye bread for me with mustard only. Also, best split pea soup I have ever had.

Honey Baked Spiral Sliced Ham ain't too bad either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Is there a temperature ham isn’t good?

If you were around my grandmother when she cooked, you would not ask that...

LOL

Many hams went to ham heaven, dried out and inedible

My sister used to bake the Easter ham a day early.
Then pit it in the oven at 930 before church.
It was really goooooood at o'clock!
One year she did that with half a spiral sliced one.
I'm not a fan of them, and that one was truly special!

Looking forward to Sunday.
My wife is trying a new green bean dish.😉😂😂

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fried with redeye gravy

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rost495
Just that

Cold ham here
yes. Either. Which brings up bacon. Warm or cold.

Bacon and ham are the same thing but when I eat bacon out of the package everyone gets weird and says its raw bla bla bla. Bacon is cured just like ham. We did it all the time here butchering and may do it again some day...
Bacon and ham are not the same thing. Both are from a hog, that’s it.

Almost all hams are “fully cooked”. There is pre-cooked bacon, but most bacon actually is raw.

You do you, but too much risk for me to eat uncooked bacon. Beside, cooked bacon tastes better.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Pulled, warm

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Just that

Cold ham here

Bacon and ham are the same thing but when I eat bacon out of the package everyone gets weird and says its raw bla bla bla. Bacon is cured just like ham. We did it all the time here butchering and may do it again some day...

Almost all hams are “fully cooked”. There is pre-cooked bacon, but most bacon actually is raw.

You do you, but too much risk for me to eat uncooked bacon. Beside, cooked bacon tastes better.

Both are cured in salt, sugar, cure (sodium nitrite) then smoked.

Ham is usually smoked(cooked) to an internal temp of 152-155* , it is then considered fully cooked. Unless you are talking something like a Country Ham that is dry cured, different process.

Bacon is often cold smoked to a temp of about 125* ( raw), chilled then sliced. Some people when making their own bacon will smoke cook it to an internal temp if 152-155* which technically is fully cooked, but looks and feels raw. I bring mine to 125*.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Obviously when "ham?" is the question the correct response is "yes", lest ye be ja oomuslimfaqqot.
Lots of options. My favorites:
-corn and mayo / similar
- clove, sweet, and cinnamon
-straight cure
-potato soup

all seared to our liking

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Yes...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Depends on sandwiches cold, warm on a plate with sides or in a pot of beans.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Deans
Ham & eggs - warm

Ham sandwich - either way

Bacon - COOKED not taking a chance on Trichinosis
Then you take that chance every time you eat ham cold and not cooked....Bacon is cured just like ham..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by steve4102
Just that

Cold ham here

Ham is usually smoked(cooked) to an internal temp of 152-155* , it is then considered fully cooked. Unless you are talking something like a Country Ham that is dry cured, different process.

Bacon is often cold smoked to a temp of about 125* ( raw), chilled then sliced. Some people when making their own bacon will smoke cook it to an internal temp if 152-155* which technically is fully cooked, but looks and feels raw. I bring mine to 125*.

The cures used in bacon these days render it just as safe as ham.

Factor in we have cured bacon the same way as ham for as long as I've been here, going on 60 years and I know of ZERO issues with either done that way.

We have never run ham up to those temps. Or sausage etc... Try dry sausage. Or jerky.

These days the commercial folks run it all up to temps where its nasty. But in the end "raw" bacon will not harm you. I prefer it raw or barely cooked over re killing it into shoe leather.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just that

Cold ham here

Factor in we have cured bacon the same way as ham for as long as I've been here, going on 60 years and I know of ZERO issues with either done that way.

We have never run ham up to those temps. Or sausage etc... Try dry sausage. Or jerky.

These days the commercial folks run it all up to temps where its nasty. But in the end "raw" bacon will not harm you. I prefer it raw or barely cooked over re killing it into shoe leather.
I’m not arguing with you, I’m just posting what the different is according to the USDA. For Ham to Labeled “Fully Cooked” “Ready to Eat” it has to be brought up to a certain temp. That has changed over the years, the USDA used to list pork at 165*, now it is 145*.

I have never seen bacon listed as “fully cooked” “Ready to Eat”. YMMV

Last edited by steve4102; 03/29/24.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Any ol' way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Both.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just that

Cold ham here

I’m not arguing with you, I’m just posting what the different is according to the USDA. For Ham to Labeled “Fully Cooked” “Ready to Eat” it has to be brought up to a certain temp. That has changed over the years, the USDA used to list pork at 165*, now it is 145*.

I have never seen bacon listed as “fully cooked” “Ready to Eat”. YMMV
USDA LMAO. Everyone has to do them. My great grandparents came before the civil war. Maybe it was great great. They brought recipes from Germany and Czech. They had no deer. Very little beef. Lots of pork was raised.

That pork never saw any of those temps in sausage. It was cold smoked and dried or put into lard. I am sure someone had some issues somewhere. None of that was in our history.

Bacon was never heat cooked.

I"ve eaten raw bacon as long as I can remember. That bacon is done the same way we did ham for years and years.

I would be more suspect of sausage stored in lard with no refrigeration than I ever would be worried about eating "raw" refrigerated bacon.

YMMV.

Last edited by rost495; 03/29/24. Reason: addition

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Scotty
Both
X2

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 44 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,248
Posts18,486,205
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.