-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let's not forget this guy killed every big game animal in NA with the now 100+ year old 30-06 with 165s before bullets got high-tech (I think he used Nosler Partitions).

One Man, One Rifle, One Land - book

Last edited by 257Bob; 03/29/24.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Seems like a 6.5x55, for example, might make having a 308 completely unnecessary in some scenarios.

Or does it? What have you guys experienced?

Well, fast twist certainly ups the killing power if you have a rifle to push it. Bullet construction certainly does likewise with a rifle that can spin it fast and push it fast.

KodiakHntr killing moose with a .223 is a good enough example. So, that would seem to indicate that it takes a combination of fast twist, enough case capacity to get somewhere at or above 3200 FPS and a bullet that doesn't come undone all the way through the target. I betcha did Roy Weatherby have a nice sturdy monometal tipped bullet for his .257 he'd have raised hell with all manner of big stuff.

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
It all depends on which bullet(s) one plans to shoot. There is a world if difference between a 168 gr .308 ttsx going 2800, and a .338 160 ttsx going 3100fps. The latter is wayyyy more forgiving on less than ideal shot placement.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
With all the "new" this and that, it's not really "news" that a fast, well-constructed .22-caliber will punch a hole through a moose's shoulder bones as it had been done in Auckley's time and before that. Auckley himself went on rants over what the 220 Swift could do - almost suggesting nothing more was needed for any kind of game shooting. After all, moose or bear or whatever are not armour plated, and a 223 Rem or 22-250 or 220 Swift will shoot through 1/2" of steel (if it's soft enough), along with a .30-06 or a .375 H&H. The BIG difference is in the diameter of the holes left behind! There's little comparison in that. I've seen at least one example of that kind of thing, and held in my my hands: The .223 left about a 1/2" hole and the .375 H&H a 2" diameter hole! In area, that's over 3 sq-inches for the .375 and 0.196 sq-inch for the .223.

I'm convinced that there are several physical isssues involved that can be quantified, without adding a touch spices to them, being that if I'm hunting moose under any and all conditions, I'll choose the .375 H&H over the .223, that in one personal situation, a 5 lb groundhog stopped a 53gr Nosler BT from my .223 Rem at 35 yds. It killed the groundhog without any physical evidence (blood, bullet hole entrance or exit)! In sharp contrast, I killed a mature coon that was stealing our bear bait with my Ruger #1 in .45-70 with a long throat. The load was equivalent to a .458 Win - a 500gr Hornady at 2185 fps instrumental, The coon at 20 yds exploded with bits and pieces hanging from branches of trees.

I got rid of my .223s because the groundhogs in this area were whipped out several years ago by land development, dogs and poison. But I still have at least one big bore and a few mediums. They'll be the last to go.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 03/29/24.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Starting over today with purchasing rifles and starting with the 223 Rem I would go to the 6.5 CM/260 Rem or maybe the 25-06 Rem. Next up the scale to the 30-06 then on to the 375 H&H.

I think you would see a difference in the tissue destruction at each step with those four at normal hunting ranges, say less than 400 yards.

In fact I have all of those plus a few others to fill in the gaps.

Last edited by VaHunter; 03/29/24.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by MILES58
Well, fast twist certainly ups the killing power if you have a rifle to push it. Bullet construction certainly does likewise with a rifle that can spin it fast and push it fast.

KodiakHntr killing moose with a .223 is a good enough example. So, that would seem to indicate that it takes a combination of fast twist, enough case capacity to get somewhere at or above 3200 FPS and a bullet that doesn't come undone all the way through the target. I betcha did Roy Weatherby have a nice sturdy monometal tipped bullet for his .257 he'd have raised hell with all manner of big stuff.

To clarify, I’m using Hornady 88 gr ELD M pushed to around 2740 fps at the muzzle from a 1:7” currently.
That particular combination is giving a permanent wound channel that is bigger in diameter than what I was seeing with 150 TTSX/280 AI and 168/180 TSX/ 300 Ultra on moose and elk, albeit shorter by a foot or two. (So far I’m seeing 3’ plus with 88’s, versus 5’ with TSX/TTSX.)

Softer bullets spun fast at a velocity that doesn’t stress them outside of their construction window kill way outside of what conventional ’wisdom’ would indicate.

Likely has some correlation as to why guys who have embraced the 6.5 Creed/147 ELD M combination are killing big critters so effectively compared to what conventional thought would indicate is a good minimum.

Spin ‘em fast, push ‘em reasonably, break some bones, and worry less about what the headstamp says.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
So in that category, if it does create such a big wound channel, is it more effective on grizzlies?

Might it do that much damage yet not stop or kill as quickly?

Is it spin, damage, or foot pounds?

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm trying to draw lines here but I can't quite put it in the right words

Q
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
So if a guy has a fast twist 223, and can shoot, where does he need to go next to level up to the next benchmark for killing power?

257? 264?

If a guy has a 6.5 creedmoor, is a 308 enough of a separation to be worth having, etc?

Yes I know we should all have all of them. I am just interested in what some of you guys think who have been shooting and hunting and experiencing things outdoors for decades longer than I have.

To answer your question: I would not advise someone with a 6.5 Creedmoor to get a .308 Winchester for any hunting-related reason. If you have a 6.5 Creedmoor, the only reason to have a .308 is that in a "worst-case scenario", there will probably be a [bleep] of ammo around for it.

In my experience, there is no appreciable difference on North American non-dangerous game between a .257 Roberts, .25-06, .270, 7x57, .30-06, or 8x57. I have used them all at one point or another in my life (been hunting for 40 years now). They all get the job done at usual hunting ranges and conditions. And I would expect much the same of any other cartridge within that range. If I had to limit myself to one rifle out of that list, I would pick the .25-06 for sentimental reasons. But it would be almost entirely sentimental. There's something about my .25-06 with 75 or 120-grain bullets that just makes me happy. It hates every weight in between them, but it puts those two weights into tight little clusters that give me immense confidence every time I use the rifle. But if I was stuck with any one of those rifles, I would feel perfectly comfortable.

I think of hunting rifles as existing in three tiers:

1. .223-.243
2. .257-.323
3. .338-.458

An average hunter could comfortably hunt anything in North America with any Tier 2 rifle. There are some who can comfortably hunt anything in North America with rifles in Tier 1. And there are some who won't hunt anything at all unless they are using a Tier 3 rifle.

Within each tier, in my mind there are specific bullet weights that are ideal for that caliber (e.g. 120-grain .257 bullets or 198-grain .323 bullets). That's why I would pick that caliber versus another. Of course, that's almost entirely subjective.

If I had to stick with three rifles, I'd pick one in each tier. My .22-250 (or a .223). My .25-06 (or a .308). And my 9.3x62 (or a .375 H&H) if I wanted the option to go after heavier/more dangerous game.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The biggest grizzly I have encountered in a couple decades (and that includes hunting them for years before they closed our opportunity) I accidentally snuck up on to 30 yards, and that was 800 yards from my deck. The last grizzly that I encountered was a 3 year old that charged in from 60 yards or so out till he turned a bit at 15 yards to run past me, coming in to cow calls last September. That was about 700 yards from my deck.
I live/work/play in grizzly country 7 days a week.

Last fall I the only time I wasn’t carrying a 223AI/88’s was a couple of days in September hunting elk as I carried Dads custom 300WM that was his only rifle for nostalgia reasons, and 10 days in August for Stone sheep because my 7 lb 223AI wasn’t back from getting a 1:7” yet and I wasn’t into carrying the 8.5 lb 223AI.

This year it will be 100% 88 ELD m’s for the season.

When it comes to bears, there are an awful lot of theories out there when it comes to stopping them during a dedicated charge where the bear means business. And the only way to stop one for sure is to scramble his eggs, and it doesn’t take much penetration to get to the brain.

A fringe hit on a bear doesn’t matter what it’s made with if he is intent on getting to you it won’t matter, he’ll get there.
If you stop a “charge” from 30 or 40 yards out with a fringe hit or chest cavity shot, then he wasn’t serious about it in the first place.
At powder burn range, I’m just as happy with a 223 from a rifle I point well because you’ll only get once chance anyway.

If you are talking intentionally hunting grizzlies, you have to remember that soft bullets kill faster than hard bullets, and predators have lighter bone construction than prey animals.

Not many animals can shake off having their lungs sloshing around in a puddle.

Last edited by KodiakHntr; 03/29/24.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Premium bullets and variations in velocity really blur the difference in caliber. Used to be you needed velocity and bullet weight to get penetration. Now with faster twists and premium bullets a 223 can come close to yesterday's 270 and the 270 can compete with a 338.

I gotta disagree. New bullets, faster twists, and heavier bullets all do some things to mitigate the failures that were more common with previous setups, but it still doesn’t make them perform on game as well as much larger bore, much heavier bullet loads. You can argue monos, etc….but you still don’t get the expansion AND penetration of something heavier, on game. A 270 can lose nearly half its weight and still be more bullet than a 77gr 223 mono. Same with a 338 vs a 270. It’s worth remembering with ‘old’ cup and core bullets: Something got wrecked to cause that weight loss.

Does it make some stuff more viable on game and increase performance windows? Sometimes in a big way. It doesn’t change the world. Closest thing to turning stuff on its head these days?….Tungsten in shotguns.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 03/29/24.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
We all have our personal comfort zones. I like the 6.5 and it's my primary hunting rifle for deer and elk because I feel really confident in my shooting and, like others, I've seen the effects and have been satisfied with them. It's at the lower limit of what I prefer for elk, however. My backup rifle is a 243 - I feel fine using it for just about anything, but there's a reason it's the backup instead of number 1.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've shot a wad of deer/antelope size game with 22-250s, 220 Swift, almost all the 6mms, and a one hot 6.5/284. Only 6.5 I have now is this new to me .264 WM. I would use it and the 120 mono's on elk right now. I like "faster cartridges" than the 308 cased rounds, no matter the caliber. Just my own personal MoJo gets a thrill out of them. My "Main" elk rifle is always one that rocks their world. This year is a Mark V ULWT 338/06 Ackley Improved with the 175 Hammer. I can easily push it faster than I get any 175 from a 24" 7mm Rem Mag. Less noise/less recoil. Flat Shooter. Sweet. And mono's tear up much less meat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigNate
Long ago Layne Simpson wrote that he thought the 257 Roberts and 338 Win Mag were enough of a versatile pair that a guy would be well equipped to handle all North American hunting. I don't think he was wrong.

I personally think that with a fast twist 223 the lines of performance are blurred quite a bit. I like quarterbore rifles, and think a 25-06 is about perfect middle size rifle. For large I chose a 338WM.

These days, I'd probably get a 6.5 or 7mm PRC and call it good, just because they're currently popular and reloading brass is easy to get. If you really must go bigger for some reason I still think the 338WM is a fine choice.

Sadly many of the truly great options are fading from popularity and getting hard to get brass or factory ammo for.

Finn Aagaard wrote that for a satisfactory two-gun battery in regard to NA big game, he would suggest pairing a .270 WCF with a .338 Win. Mag.—90% of the shooting being accomplished with the .270.

Gunwriters never agree on anything . . . grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,865 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,797
Posts18,477,411
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.