Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Given the polarity in the USA and propensity for violence, I pose a question about process in our elections. What would happen to the election if either candidate was assassinated? Two options here: 1) The VP has been selected, or 2) not selected.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After an election I’d say the VP moves up.

No dang idea what to do before.

The #2 in the primaries would be the logical choice,
but if it happened in October? You can’t go from almost zero to wide open campaign in weeks. Maybe missed the debates….

I’ll throw out a good question, then muddy it up.

In the case of losing a candidate, and running the primary runner up days ahead of the election.

Does it matter that they missed the campaign?

They used to say 40% voted R and 40% voted D, always. It was 20% decided.
I’m gonna bet it’s 45% at least.

If Trump were nominee and died, how many would even consider voting Biden?
Same situation on the other side.
In either case, the new guy might do better.
Bringing in the ones who hated the #1 guy enough to not vote.

Lotta angles and possibilities

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No eligible candidate would receive 270 electoral votes and then it would be decided by the House of Representatives.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by drop_point
No eligible candidate would receive 270 electoral votes and then it would be decided by the House of Representatives.

You mean the "house of not representing". A much better name for it. "The peoples house" my butt.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"off the wall"? 5 years ago I'd say yes. Today? I think it's a valid thought

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Given the polarity in the USA and propensity for violence, I pose a question about process in our elections. What would happen to the election if either candidate was assassinated? Two options here: 1) The VP has been selected, or 2) not selected.

Is Biden still alive? The last time I saw him try to give a speech, he wasn't.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Your first point is speculative, what is your basis for the second?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=drop_point]No eligible candidate would receive 270 electoral votes and then it would be decided by the House of Representatives.

Your first point is speculative, what is your basis for the second?[/quote

How can none get 270 in a 2 person race?

Kennedy could pull enough in that situation I guess?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That does remind me of a governor election in Minnesota. I was no longer living in Minnesota when this happen so those that know more feel free to correct me. About two weeks before the election a candidate was removed. While his family was on a summer vacation they went skinny dipping. The problem was that his daughter brought a 15 year old friend with her. The candidate was skinny dipping with a 15 year old girl not part of his family but with other family members. So a new candidate was appointed to run. The new candidate won. What I heard was that no one had time to dig up dirt on him.

Does this ring a bell to anyone from Minnesota?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We are quite possibly about to find out.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Your first point is speculative, what is your basis for the second?

The US CONSTITUTION.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for President; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like Manner chuse the President."

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you. Back to my question. Dead candidate has selected a VP and the assassination occurs a week before the election. What happens then?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you. Back to my question. Dead candidate has selected a VP and the assassination occurs a week before the election. What happens then?

Again, a dead person cannot be sworn in. The VP only takes the role if the President is incapacitated; not the President-elect--a dead person cannot be elected and is thus ineligible. It goes to the House if no person receives needed electoral votes. Additionally, keep in mind that electors don't necessarily have to vote for their state's popular candidate.

Another scenario is that if the candidate dies before the filing deadline, then the party will select another candidate and likely ask for a delay in the election.

Last edited by drop_point; 03/29/24.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
With apologies, this is a related observation: If a few more R's resign from the The House, Dems would have control of the House. They would then be prepared to put their candidate in office if nobody gets 270 Electoral Votes. With 3rd party candidates in the picture, this may be realistic strategy.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The Rs who are resigning might as well be dummycraps anyway. They're abandoning ship before Trump makes them walk the plank, hoping they can derail his inevitable win. They would rather be turncoats to the opposition than have their self-serving shenanigans exposed to publicity.

The obvious solution to the "dead candidate" problem is to shoot his opponent and let the VP picks duke it out.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That would get lively if it should happen. If it goes to the house, it's 1 VOTE PER STATE. Tiny Idaho and Wyoming have the same 1 vote as does CA or NY. Each state's reps have to decide among them who their 1 vote will go to. There would be some very dirty dealing going on.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I truly thought some Bubba [bleep] Hater was going to take a shot at Obummer.

Didn't want to see it, but I'm a little disappointed.

Sean
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
The fact they pretend Brandon is a viable candidate, while barely aware, means something shady is in the works. The Lawfare ain’t working. Without the Supreme Court gutting fundamental law of the land, it can’t. Not that they don’t want to. So assassin that looks like accident or stroke? Mike Johnson takes the throne after requisite shuffling Camel Toe and Joe comedy act. But it has to be believable. WW III cannot be ruled out completely, although that would be tricky to play out non nuclear. We ned a crisis! Something transformative. Like a new Pearl Harbor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They're out to destroy the country and Gavin Newsome would take it to a whole new level. If they dump Biden and Harris moves up, they can put Newsome in as VP. Then get rid of Harris. We'd have a president that no one voted for.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (38HBWC, 35, 257 roberts, 257_X_50, 21, 9 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,021
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.