Hop To
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
https://brspclub.com/

Copied and pasted from member E Mail

The Birchwood Shooting Range is being targeted by the State of Alaska.

They are planning to take land from the Shooting Park, claiming that it's needed for the Birchwood Airport.

This land is part of the essential operations for the Shooting Range, and if taken, will likely cause the range to be shuttered for good.

If you live in the Mat-Su or Anchorage area, you can show up to Saturday’s (tomorrow’s) meeting to help save this gun range.

You can read more about the details of this meeting here: https://brspclub.com/2024/03/28/information-for-birchwood-airport-meeting/

What: Public Meeting – Give DOT&PF your feedback on the Draft Plan.
When: Saturday, March 30th, 2024, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Where: Birchwood Civil Air Patrol Hangar, 20100 Birchwood Spur Road, Chugiak, AK 99567
Share the word with your friends.

Bring a friend with you.

Semper Vigilans!

Rick McClure

President, Alaska Gun Rights

PS: remember: freedom isn’t free – please chip in a generous contribution of $25, $50, or $100 to help us to continue taking the fight to the extremists – wherever anti-gun extremists threaten our God given right to defend our families, our homes, and our country.

Last edited by kk alaska; 03/29/24.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Fugg em. Serves em right after the BS they pulled with membership the last few years.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Membership fees are going up again no more sr or military discounts. That meeting was held last night, the new fee will be $450 a year.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by 79S
Membership fees are going up again no more sr or military discounts. That meeting was held last night, the new fee will be $450 a year.

Compare that to Matanuska Sportsmen's indoor range @ $20 per year for a senior, and $8 per visit (pre-paid 8-visit pack). I could never justify BRSP fees, even before they jacked them up right after I retired and got more time to shoot, especially since I can drive out to the Kenny Barber range for free. BSRP always offered public shooting for a per-visit fee until they jacked everything up. They can't call themselves a public range anymore. It's a 100% private facility, so I guess they have a 100% private problem with the eminent domain monster.

NRA Life Endowment Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Haven't been to that place since 2002, bought some property in the Willow area and got my own private shooting range out to 1100 yards

Birchwood is only 300 yards

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntster
Originally Posted by 79S

Compare that to Matanuska Sportsmen's indoor range @ $20 per year for a senior, and $8 per visit (pre-paid 8-visit pack). I could never justify BRSP fees, even before they jacked them up right after I retired and got more time to shoot, especially since I can drive out to the Kenny Barber range for free. BSRP always offered public shooting for a per-visit fee until they jacked everything up. They can't call themselves a public range anymore. It's a 100% private facility, so I guess they have a 100% private problem with the eminent domain monster.

The IRS, is why they had to go members only. Far as MVS that is not a very good deal once you look at it. I go to birchwood about 60-75 times a year. multiply that by 8 bucks and get back with me. You couldn't pay me enough to go shoot at Maud road, that place is a chit show, I know Alaska outdoor council is trying to manage so it doesn't turn into a dump.

Last edited by 79S; 03/30/24. Reason: Remove private changed to members

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Loosing any range is never a good thing. Whether you like the range or not. Regardless to a point on fees too.

I'm fortunate that I've never had to belong to a range. But others are not.

Like I said love the particular range or hate it, the politics of loosing it are NOT good.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dang, that membership fee is high! I will still join when/if we move back but at the price they will be losing members.
Hope they survive.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by 79S
The IRS, is why they had to go private. Far as MVS that is not a very good deal once you look at it. I go to birchwood about 60-75 times a year. multiply that by 8 bucks and get back with me. You couldn't pay me enough to go shoot at Maud road, that place is a chit show, I know Alaska outdoor council is trying to manage so it doesn't turn into a dump.

What did the IRS do to force them to exclude the public? Why does that not apply to Matanuska Sportsman's range?

I agree that if you're going to the range 75 times per year, the membership fee at BSRP is competitive, but not all of us want or need to shoot that much. I can't waste time at a range between mid-April and Nov. 1. I'm busy at my property or in the field. I do my rifle load development bench work in the winter and spring........maybe a dozen trips. Every other week trigger-time with a handgun (100 rounds each trip) at the indoor range during the winter totals up another dozen trips. Frankly, I've seen as much bad range behavior at BSRP over the years as at the Maud Road range, although people will leave trash at Maud Road more because the range officers at BSRP get rightly exercised about cleaning up after slobs and they enforced cleanup vigorously. Slobs and garbage is a fact of life worldwide. I don't mind paying a reasonable fee to get real rules enforcement. I've heard people at Maud Road complain of Troopers showing up and writing citations for violations. I wish they'd do it more often.

Last edited by Huntster; 03/30/24.

NRA Life Endowment Member
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntster
Originally Posted by 79S
The IRS, is why they had to go private. Far as MVS that is not a very good deal once you look at it. I go to birchwood about 60-75 times a year. multiply that by 8 bucks and get back with me. You couldn't pay me enough to go shoot at Maud road, that place is a chit show, I know Alaska outdoor council is trying to manage so it doesn't turn into a dump.

What did the IRS do to force them to exclude the public? Why does that not apply to Matanuska Sportsman's range?

I agree that if you're going to the range 75 times per year, the membership fee at BSRP is competitive, but not all of us want or need to shoot that much. I can't waste time at a range between mid-April and Nov. 1. I'm busy at my property or in the field. I do my rifle load development bench work in the winter and spring........maybe a dozen trips. Every other week trigger-time with a handgun (100 rounds each trip) at the indoor range during the winter totals up another dozen trips. Frankly, I've seen as much bad range behavior at BSRP over the years as at the Maud Road range, although people will leave trash at Maud Road more because the range officers at BSRP get rightly exercised about cleaning up after slobs and they enforced cleanup vigorously. Slobs and garbage is a fact of life worldwide. I don't mind paying a reasonable fee to get real rules enforcement. I've heard people at Maud Road complain of Troopers showing up and writing citations for violations. I wish they'd do it more often.

The public isn’t excluded from birchwood anyone can walk in there and become a member. Birchwood has always been that way. Sure they had the “two” day memberships. I’m not going to rehash 4-5 yr old business far as the irs and taxes. MVS is no different in order to shoot there you have to become a member. The $35 bucks is an easy sell for many. But once you do that math if you shoot a lot you are better off going to birchwood and becoming a member. With upper susitna with them you don’t have to be a member to shoot. I like upper susitna great range more mature crowd up there. I wish they stay open year round.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,988
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.