Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RAM
What about Fed. records? Nashville trashed theirs, still gets reported to NCIC and ATF. Unless Nashville dropped the ball back when

Sniff sniff. Something is not smelling right.
Really? When did the Feds and ATF stop collecting "records?" It is not legal for them to maintain records now...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If there is a record of it being stolen there should be a record of the owner.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thefts and Sales are two different things. Most people know this.you musta been sick that day

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RAM
Thefts and Sales are two different things. Most people know this.you musta been sick that day
You did not read the part about missing local records?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Look under the butt pad and see if anyone put their name in there. Worked for a family member who put an old hunting license in his and was recovered.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Given the value of this very rare beautiful piece, coupled with the fact that Nashville is the location, one should consider that some country singer is or was the owner.

Bob

W
WileyC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
For the Saturday crowd. Y'all share this far and wide and let's see if we can help locate the owner/family.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Should keep this at the top.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did the original owner send it via USPS?

Black Cows Matter!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When my father bought his new Ithaca Model 37 16 gauge in Nashville in 1948, he was reqiured to register it with the police depatrtment. Probably some sort of city ordinance, but the idea that there was no "registration" before the ATF came along is pretty much a myth. It's not uncommon for old theft reports to be trashed after a few years. I've got a Ruger Secutity Six .357 that's been bouncing around on the stolen gun market since 1990, and there's no record of the police report I filed at the time it was taken.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Here's some more detective work that was 52 years ago and more than likely the owner was in his 40 to 60's so he is prolly dead. So now what?

Heirs.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What a valuable piece of history. Amazing that it wasn't cut down into a sawed-off at some point.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Contact Walt Snyder, North Carolina. He’s written several books about Ithaca shotguns, has the original New York factory records.

He posts on the Shotgunworld site

I’ll drop this link over there.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's the link to SGW, "I Love my Ithaca" forum.

Lot of Ithaca fans over there. Maybe Walt will see it and respond.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/stollen-early-ithaca-28-ga.569647/

SGW is a neat site for shotgun lovers. In fact, I started over there when I ended up with Major Charles Askins personal Superposed. Those guys were great help.

I found this site from a reference over there.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/30/24.
W
WileyC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

SWG is a neat site for shotgun lovers. In fact, I started over there when I ended up with Major Charles Askins personal Superposed. Those guys were great help.

DF

Thank you for posting the link over there! I really hope it finds its way back home.

Last edited by WileyC; 03/30/24.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My start over on SGW back in 2007, which eventually led me over here.

I don't post much over there any more, am more of a rifle guy, prefer this site.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/ithaca-20-ga-37-r-1940-first-year-rib-gun.121976/

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/1933-superposed.124719/

The Browning one is sorta long, but at least to me, interesting info on the Askins clan.

A hard core Ithaca type was critical of me altering an early M-37, 20 ga stock. But, the wood was pretty rough and I didn't like the original shape. I liked my Superlight, Superposed stock more. So, this one now has more of that profile.

I had gotten the gun for $255 from a major dealer, Collectors Firearms in Houston, so to me it wasn't a collector, just a shooter. Oh well, you can't please everyone.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/30/24.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WileyC

SWG is a neat site for shotgun lovers. In fact, I started over there when I ended up with Major Charles Askins personal Superposed. Those guys were great help.

DF

Thank you for posting the link over there! I really hope it finds its way back home.
We're already getting some info.

Check out the Gunsinternational link where it sold.

Lots of good pictures and info.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This is cool.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
First off, I hope the firearm is returned to the rightful owner or heir. A quick google search of the detective named in the article shows that he appears to be the real deal. Well recognized in the state of TN for his property crimes prosecution and recovery work.

Second, this incident has me shaking my head. The four most important details in any transaction are WHO, WHAT, WHEN and WHERE. It boggles my mind that our government is able to maintain the WHAT-An Ithica shotgun with s/n xxxxx. WHEN-1972. WHERE-Nashville. But not the WHO it was stolen from. Why maintain any form of stolen firearm database if the intent is not to return the firearm to the rightful owner? Yes, I read the part about "archives not maintained." But somehow they managed to maintain three of the four "W's". Why not the fourth? Curious...

W
WileyC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
We're already getting some info.

Check out the Gunsinternational link where it sold.

Lots of good pictures and info.

DF

I looked over there but I can't find what you referenced. Admittedly, I have trouble navigating their site sometimes. Can you post the link? And thank you for taking interest in this.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (257 roberts, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 2500HD, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,334
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.