Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cold on my sandwich, hot on my plate at breakfast or dinner.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
GB4

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Just that

Cold ham here
yes. Either. Which brings up bacon. Warm or cold.

Bacon and ham are the same thing but when I eat bacon out of the package everyone gets weird and says its raw bla bla bla. Bacon is cured just like ham. We did it all the time here butchering and may do it again some day...
Bacon and ham are not the same thing. Both are from a hog, that’s it.

Almost all hams are “fully cooked”. There is pre-cooked bacon, but most bacon actually is raw.

You do you, but too much risk for me to eat uncooked bacon. Beside, cooked bacon tastes better.

Both are cured in salt, sugar, cure (sodium nitrite) then smoked.

Ham is usually smoked(cooked) to an internal temp of 152-155* , it is then considered fully cooked. Unless you are talking something like a Country Ham that is dry cured, different process.

Bacon is often cold smoked to a temp of about 125* ( raw), chilled then sliced. Some people when making their own bacon will smoke cook it to an internal temp if 152-155* which technically is fully cooked, but looks and feels raw. I bring mine to 125*.

The cures used in bacon these days render it just as safe as ham.

Factor in we have cured bacon the same way as ham for as long as I've been here, going on 60 years and I know of ZERO issues with either done that way.

We have never run ham up to those temps. Or sausage etc... Try dry sausage. Or jerky.

These days the commercial folks run it all up to temps where its nasty. But in the end "raw" bacon will not harm you. I prefer it raw or barely cooked over re killing it into shoe leather.
I’m not arguing with you, I’m just posting what the different is according to the USDA. For Ham to Labeled “Fully Cooked” “Ready to Eat” it has to be brought up to a certain temp. That has changed over the years, the USDA used to list pork at 165*, now it is 145*.

I have never seen bacon listed as “fully cooked” “Ready to Eat”. YMMV
USDA LMAO. Everyone has to do them. My great grandparents came before the civil war. Maybe it was great great. They brought recipes from Germany and Czech. They had no deer. Very little beef. Lots of pork was raised.

That pork never saw any of those temps in sausage. It was cold smoked and dried or put into lard. I am sure someone had some issues somewhere. None of that was in our history.

Bacon was never heat cooked.

I"ve eaten raw bacon as long as I can remember. That bacon is done the same way we did ham for years and years.

I would be more suspect of sausage stored in lard with no refrigeration than I ever would be worried about eating "raw" refrigerated bacon.

YMMV.

Do you sell your cured, smoked meats at a retail outlet, or do you just use them for home use.

The guys here are talking "store bought" , stay on topic, or not.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
WARMED in an oven or slow cooker. Never baked and dry.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I like ham warmed up in a skillet.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Warm when made into a sandwich on fresh bread or buns with butter. Cold ham with mayo on regular bread.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The correct answer to your question is yes..... just yes

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Warm. I love a ham and pretzel roll sandwich at lunch and I'll throw it in the microwave for 30 seconds before putting mustard on it and eating it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (2500HD, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,934
Posts18,479,981
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.