Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Got an older Vari-X II 3-9 that hasn't given me any trouble per say as far as tracking and holding zero. But, I have it on a FN based M51 and it's out of adjustment vertically and almost out horizontal.

The scope that was on that rifle was just a cheap Tasco 3-9 and in the same bases and rings on that rifle I didn't have that issue. I seem to remember the rifle I took this Leupold off of that I noticed I was almost out of adjustment.

Any suggestions? Send it back to Leupold to have them check it out?

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like you may need to send it back.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Are you saying you are at the limits of adjustment?

If so, it sounds more like mounts and/or rings are plumb out of whack.

Do you have a bore sighter?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

This....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Yes, at the limits of adjustment. But what I'm also saying is the scope that was on that rifle before in the same bases and rings, I didn't have that issue. All I did was take the top caps off the rings, took the old scope off, and laid the Leupold in the ring bottoms and put the top caps back on.

I also seem to remember that the rifle the Leupold was on before, that I was close to out of adjustment, but don't take that as gospel. I could be mistaken on that.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

This....

"This", when he said it was out of whack on a previous rifle it was on? Send it back to Leupold..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Out of curiosity I went and checked the old Tasco that came off this rifle. It is on my one bench just as it came off a few days ago. I have LOTS of room to go down yet on that scope. The Leupold is bottomed out in the down position. Can't go any lower.

It's at the right height with 180 RN, but if I would shoot 165's or 150's it would be high and I couldn't go any lower.

Perhaps I should try taking the Leupold off, making sure it's close to back to center on the adjustments and re-mount it and see what it does.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If the Tasco adjustments are somewhere in the neighborhood of center, then it probably is the Leupy’s problem.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
O

Perhaps I should try taking the Leupold off, making sure it's close to back to center on the adjustments and re-mount it and see what it does.

That's one of the basics of mounting scopes--which also affects the consistency of adjustments. I

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The last scopes I bought used, both were Leupolds, were near the limits of both elevation and windage adjustments. The previous owners obviously had mount/ring issues. It’s not uncommon.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
O

That's one of the basics of mounting scopes--which also affects the consistency of adjustments. I

I don't usually have any sort of issue regardless of what scope is changed over to what rifle. I bore sight a bolt gun at the range with the bolt pulled then typically one shot @ 25 yds and adjust based off that and go to 100 yds. But from posting this I got to thinking that if I didn't have a lot of room with this scope on the other rifle and just changed it over, I might not of left myself enough adjustment to start, and that could be the sole issue. Not guaranteed but could be. I'll try starting over and see if I can remedy it. If not it needs to go back to Leupold because the Tasco had lots of adjustment yet.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Different scopes have different amounts of available adjustment range. If the mounting holes are out of line you could run out of range with one but not the other.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have encountered many FN factory scope base holes that were significantly off, a couple that precluded zeroing because windage maxed out its adjustment. A boresighter would tell the story.

If out of adjustment in elevation, there’s another culprit - scope or mounts come to mind. Also keep in mind that one axis affects the other - as you near the limits in one, the other is also limited because of that.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Absolutely. Centering both w/e lets you start from square one. Also, what bases and rings are you using?

Forbidden Zoner
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Absolutely. Centering both w/e lets you start from square one. Also, what bases and rings are you using?

Pretty sure that rifle has the weaver quad locks on it. Bases are also weaver by the looks of it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

How does that change anything? Total waste of time

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

Other than helping identify possible mounting alignment issues?

Forbidden Zoner
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Other than helping identify possible mounting alignmemt issues?

Those are already identified by the fact that you ran out of adjustment

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Got an older Vari-X II 3-9 that hasn't given me any trouble per say as far as tracking and holding zero. But, I have it on a FN based M51 and it's out of adjustment vertically and almost out horizontal.

The scope that was on that rifle was just a cheap Tasco 3-9 and in the same bases and rings on that rifle I didn't have that issue. I seem to remember the rifle I took this Leupold off of that I noticed I was almost out of adjustment.

If this scope is an early Vari-x-II and not a Vari-x-IIc, it will not have much adjustment. The Vari-x-IIc scopes have about twice the adjustment of the Vari-x-II.

You could use Burris Signature rings with the inserts to take care of the problem.

Last edited by rmb721; 03/30/24.

NRA Endowment Member
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by rmb721

If this scope is an early Vari-x-II and not a Vari-x-IIc, it will not have much adjustment. The Vari-x-IIc scopes have about twice the adjustment of the Vari-x-II.

This is good knowledge. Learn something new.

Code Pink sucks

SUPPORT THE TROOPS
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,384
Posts18,488,634
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.