Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Anyone had this happen using the Forster FLS Dies? I set die to just touch the shell plate. Unless I set it for some cam over it pulls the shoulder out .004-.005" I'm about ready to get a different brand die. I'm thinking the ball pulls it out some everytime its used. Thanks for all input! smile

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or you're not touching the shoulder so when the body is squeezed the shoulder gets pushed forward.

P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
It's pretty hard on the up stroke which made me think the expander ball.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Size without the expander in and see if it gives you anything different.

P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I'll have to try that. Instead of a bumping die I guess I bought a pulling die lol!

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by p5200
It's pretty hard on the up stroke which made me think the expander ball.
This is exactly why I HATE non bushing dies.
You have zero control over how much to size the necks down. Brand of brass changes, lot# etc.

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/29/24.
P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I know what you mean. I'll probably get a bushing type die. Any recommendations? It's for .308

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A Redding will work fine. I suggest if your neck thickness is consistent on your brass skip the expander and just size down the necks with bushing only to desired size.
If you go that route take a loaded round minus .002 and .003 from that and that's were I would start with bushings

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/29/24.
P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I think that's what I'll do I'm tired of messing with this die. Thanks for the recommendation.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had better luck with Whidden bushings being the size that there suppose to be over Redding, I measure all mine also with guage pins I had a Redding bushing that was .003 undersized from what it was stamped so keep that in mind on bushings

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It sounds like your die is sizing the necks down too small if it's pulling that hard. Also do you lube the inside of the necks? I had a FL die that sized the necks down so much that they split on the second or third reload if they weren't annealed. Sent it back to RCBS with a couple of fired cases and they honed it out.
You also may want to take the stem out and gently chuck it in a drill and polish the expander ball.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 03/30/24.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pulling a bull's prick back thru a case neck is never a good thing - I try to avoid as much as possible.

P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I cleaned die again and also readjusted the expander ball. I set the ball a touch higher in relation to the vent hole on side of die body. Replaced aluminum die nut with steel Hornady nut. I also used nylon brush inside of necks. So far there are no bumped or pulled shoulders. I'm thinking the ball was a little low not allowing the vent hole to function as intended. I appreciate the help everyone!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cleaned die again and also readjusted the expander ball. I set the ball a touch higher in relation to the vent hole on side of die body. Replaced aluminum die nut with steel Hornady nut. I also used nylon brush inside of necks. So far there are no bumped or pulled shoulders. I'm thinking the ball was a little low not allowing the vent hole to function as intended. I appreciate the help everyone!
So you're thinking vacuum sucked the shoulders forward by 4-5 thousandths? Or what?

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 03/30/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
It sounds like your die is sizing the necks down too small if it's pulling that hard. Also do you lube the inside of the necks? I had a FL die that sized the necks down so much that they split on the second or third reload if they weren't annealed. Sent it back to RCBS with a couple of fired cases and they honed it out.
You also may want to take the stem out and gently chuck it in a drill and polish the expander ball.

Best suggestion here. Along with setting up the expander for the proper depth. Guys saying you need special bushings and chidt are clueless. Unless you are shooting benchrest, our of a benchrest rifle, and demand some kind of extreme precision. I'm assuming not, since this is a "big game rifle" reloading forum. A regular ol RCBS die will suffice. That is all that is even required for most precision longrange shooting as well. I watch guys like the OP struggle, because they think they need unnecessary chidt. Keep it simple and you'll have less problems..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
So you're thinking vacuum sucked the shoulders forward by 4-5 thousandths? Or what?
It seems I remember reading somewhere maybe Forster, about how important the ball and hole position are oh my LOL! I think it said it reduces likelihood of dents also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Forster recommends the location of the ball relative to the vent hole so you don't end up with the ball in the neck of the die. Also so it performs as intended, which is to start expanding as soon as possible on the downward travel of the case.

P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I've found it for sure makes a difference!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you familiar with the Lee collet die?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Best suggestion here. Along with setting up the expander for the proper depth. Guys saying you need special bushings and chidt are clueless. Unless you are shooting benchrest, our of a benchrest rifle, and demand some kind of extreme precision. I'm assuming not, since this is a "big game rifle" reloading forum. A regular ol RCBS die will suffice. That is all that is even required for most precision longrange shooting as well. I watch guys like the OP struggle, because they think they need unnecessary chidt. Keep it simple and you'll have less problems..
I guess I'm one of the CLUELESS ONES. last time I looked dropping the proper bushing in a die and sizing your brass was about as simple as it gets. Hell with making the expander in 'just' the right spot. Anytime BSA you wanna see how me and my CLUELESS rifles shoot come on by Havre way well go to the 900 yard range you bring yours I'll bring my CLUELESS ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,327
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.