Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking to get a gun dog.

Need low shedding/ hypoallergenic breed due to mild allergies.

Thoughts on either breed? or other suggestions?

Arcus Venator
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Other than limited "local" (meaning in the U.S.) options, one of them should work for you. I've seen only a handful of each breed over the last 40 years but those I've seen have been nice dogs.

The only other caveat I can think of is that low shedding is also an individual dog characteristic in addition to breed. It can also change later in the dog's life. One can make a reasonable guesstimate based on breed and lineage but it is still somewhat of a crapshoot.

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I agree with the individual dog characteristic on shedding. But need to start at the start and hope for the best. Will certainly talk to, and visit any kennel about the trait for sure. Due to wife, this non negotiable.

The wirehairs with undercoat seem to be the best. Labs and Chesapeake's are certainly a no go. along with GWP and DD's from my research. A plain Vizsla would probably work, but are too cold sensitive. A WPG would work too, but need to verify to make sure I get a hunter line. That is what lead me to the Fousek.

Recently retired and will work any dog I get consistently. I want this dog to be an all around hunter. Upland, waterfowl, blood trailing, coons, sheds etc.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My daughter has one, first I had ever heard of.
She's not a hunter, but the two of them do a lot of hiking in the Adirondacks. Magee has a great deal of stamina, as does his owner.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
F
F
I've had several WPG and a couple of WPG/CK crosses. Frankly, I didn't consider any of them to be "low shedding". Suppose with daily brushing it would cut down on the amount of hair coming off at other times. All dogs are going to shed, some more than others.

Political comments in signatures often reflect poorly on the poster.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a pudelpointer thinking he'd be a low shedding dog. My example of one that is not the case! But, they do have a reputation for that. The breeder did explain to me that is something he found to be quite unpredictable. IIRC, theirs a poster here with a smooth coated PP and he says it's pretty darn good about not losing hair.

I'd think some calling to a few of the breeders of the rough coated breeds would give some insight as to the shedding of their lines.

Of the two breeds you listed, I pick the Cesky. Very good looking breed!!

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I've got a DD and he sheds like crazy. The only breed that I know what is real low shedding are the doodle dogs. I would guess WH Vizla's would shed just as bad

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CRS
I agree with the individual dog characteristic on shedding. But need to start at the start and hope for the best. Will certainly talk to, and visit any kennel about the trait for sure. Due to wife, this non negotiable.

The wirehairs with undercoat seem to be the best. Labs and Chesapeake's are certainly a no go. along with GWP and DD's from my research. A plain Vizsla would probably work, but are too cold sensitive. A WPG would work too, but need to verify to make sure I get a hunter line. That is what lead me to the Fousek.

Recently retired and will work any dog I get consistently. I want this dog to be an all around hunter. Upland, waterfowl, blood trailing, coons, sheds etc.

Ive had vizslas. not the wired haired and now own griffs very similar to griffons. both great breeds. I think for water fowl, small game in addition to upland id go cessky. they do shed some. and hunting cover with burrs, seeds have to constantly comb out burrs etc to keep on top of them plus spray with conditioner before hunting. great companions disposition for household dog. finding a good breeder would be my may concern.

I wouldn't chase coons with these two breeds.Personally think too soft. Coons can tear up a dog

DD would be better. id pass on a dog breed that would aggressively chase and kill coons for a companion upland dog . They tend to to go after and kill cats, chickens etc. but I take my dogs everywhere and hike and fly fish with them

Last edited by ribka; 04/19/24.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.