Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I ordered one of these 'blems' from PSA,

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ble...lightweight-m-lok-str-2-stage-rifle.html

20", rifle gas, HBar, 308, 1/10 twist. Comes with two-stage trigger, adjustable gas block.

Added a Midwest Industries muzzle brake, Magpul pistol grip, Arken 6-24x50 on a 20 MOA base. Waiting on Midway for arrival AR-10 rifle length buffer system (extension tube, spring, buffer), and I'll put an A2 buttstock on it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've got some IMI M80 ball ammo on hand for initial shooting. I'm not expecting great thing as far as accuracy with that ammo, probably 2-3 moa or so.

I did pull the bullets out of five rounds of the IMI, and replaced them with Hornady 155gr ELD-M, so we'll see how that compares to the 150gr FMJ. Hopefully a bit better.

I did boresight the scope. On the 20 moa base, that leaves 16 mils of 'up' in the erector, and then the reticle has a 12-mil x-mas tree type of reticle. That will be plenty to get out to 1500+ yards for that long-range plinking.

Anyhoo, thought I'd share as I go along. Wifey thought I deserved a nice birthday gift to myself, and this is it.

Anyone else out there shooting a PA-10 308, feel free to share here too.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifle. I was watching a video the other day, and they seem to shoot very well for an AR10. Keep us posted. Sounds like a good one..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I purchased one of their complete uppers with the adjustable gas block and a stripped lower.
Put it together and have really been enjoying it. Use it with a Silencerco Omega

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MoranoGrande; 03/30/24.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande
I purchased one of their complete uppers with the adjustable gas block and a stripped lower.
Put it together and have really been enjoying it. Use it with a Silencerco Omega

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice. I'd imagine the 308 puts their dicks in the dirt right away. Do you use ball ammo, or some kind of soft point?

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Well I got the PA-10 out to the range, and got her zero'd.

I went with a 50/200 zero using the IMI M80, then compared the five rounds of IMI with the bullets replaced with the Hornady 155gr ELD-M. Accuracy was about 2.5-3.0 MOA. The Hornady bullets didn't really change that.

I did the target shooting at 50 yards, lasered. First I fired a 15-round group with the IMI ball ammo (lower group). Using that as a reference, I made scope adjustments, and the fired 5 rounds of the IMI (top left). Then another scope refinement, and five rounds with the 15gr ELD-M (top right).

After getting a basic 50/200 zero, I went out to 900 yards for some plinking with the IMI ball ammo. I haven't chrono'd this stuff, so I kind of swagged an 8-mil dial-up on the scope. I was a little high, dialed down to 7.5 mils, and was on target. Granted, at 900 yards, my 'group' (beaten zone????) would be around 27 inches or so. But it didn't seem that bad watching the impacts through the scope.

The rifle is a pussycat to shoot. With the HBar, and brake, it feels about the same as a 20" AR in 5.56. But it is loud, as would be expected.

Long range rock plinking gallery,

I like the Arken 6-24x50 scope, but I'm not really a high magnification guy. I used it at 8X for the 50 yard zeroing, and 10X for the 900 yard plinking. Glass is really very clear. The reticle being FFP, gets kinda thin at 6X though. Still visible enough in open country, but might be kinda tough in the woods. It is illuminated though, so that would help out in the woods.

Gratuitous Montana springtime scenery,

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I should also mention that the rifle ran smooth from the first round. No hitches, glitches, or failures of any kind.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for posting

Been looking at an LMT or Daniel Defense DD5.

But funds are saying PSA

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
What a playground. You are truly blessed. Hope you like your product from the Palmetto state because the Palmetto state surely appreciates the scenery there.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
What a playground. You are truly blessed. Hope you like your product from the Palmetto state because the Palmetto state surely appreciates the scenery there.

We are blessed here to still have a good amount of public lands.

I've got several AR and AK uppers and rifles from PSA. They have all been very good.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Nice. I'd imagine the 308 puts their dicks in the dirt right away. Do you use ball ammo, or some kind of soft point?

I use a handload 150gr Hrdy Sp and a mild load of IMR3031.
Works great for the intended range of 200yrds max.

I bought a Pulsar Thermal that I'll be putting on it.
Been well please with it.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good looking rifle. Thanks for posting. I guess I could use the excuse that I already have an Omega. 🤩😜

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande

I use a handload 150gr Hrdy Sp and a mild load of IMR3031.
Works great for the intended range of 200yrds max.

I bought a Pulsar Thermal that I'll be putting on it.
Been well please with it.

Good deal!

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Good looking rifle. Thanks for posting. I guess I could use the excuse that I already have an Omega. 🤩😜

That sounds legit to me!

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
So I wanted to add a rifle-length buffer system and stock.

I ordered an AR-STONER rifle "extreme" buffer/spring/tube setup for the AR-10, from Midway.

The spring and the buffer seem ok, but the rifle extension tube was a complete QC fail. The aft end of the tube was missing the wrench flats, and the hole for the butt screw wasn't even threaded.

Well, thankfully I had a spare rifle length buffer tube in the 'spare parts box', so the A2 stock install went off without any other drama.

Check out this extension tube,

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I ordered an AR-STONER rifle "extreme" buffer/spring/tube setup for the AR-10, from Midway.

The spring and the buffer seem ok, but the rifle extension tube was a complete QC fail. The aft end of the tube was missing the wrench flats, and the hole for the butt screw wasn't even threaded.

Well, thankfully I had a spare rifle length buffer tube in the 'spare parts box', so the A2 stock install went off without any other drama.

Was that a "blemished" one. Looks like it's missing some stuff, like you say. Dang.. Are you going to send it back? Wondering if the hole is small enough that you can still tap it? The flats would be easy to add as well, but a guy shouldn't have to do the finishing like that..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Was that a "blemished" one. Looks like it's missing some stuff, like you say. Dang.. Are you going to send it back? Wondering if the hole is small enough that you can still tap it? The flats would be easy to add as well, but a guy shouldn't have to do the finishing like that..

No, not sold as blemished. I'm not sending it back, because it is part of a set, including the spring and buffer that I'm now using in the rifle.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019426713?pid=274887

Rather than sending the whole set back, I'm just going to take the hit. There is enough meat on it to thread it myself.

If it's true that BCA makes all the AR-STONER line of parts, that kind of explains a lot.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

No, not sold as blemished. I'm not sending it back, because it is part of a set, including the spring and buffer that I'm now using in the rifle.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019426713?pid=274887

Rather than sending the whole set back, I'm just going to take the hit. There is enough meat on it to thread it myself.

If it's true that BCA makes all the AR-STONER line of parts, that kind of explains a lot.

I probably wouldn't send it back either then. Especially if the hole is still small enough that I could tap it myself. That's pretty easy to do. That's a pretty big mistake on QC though. Not even laughable..

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
just curious what is the weight of the rifle? also that arken scope is $300??

Last edited by jimmyp; 04/03/24.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jimmyp
just curious what is the weight of the rifle? also that arken scope is $300??

I got it for $225. there's a 25% off code still in effect,

https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/lh4-...s-turrets-illuminated-vhr-vpr-30mm-tube/

Weight with A2 buttstock, scope, Harris 9-13 bipod, and magazine with 18 rounds of M80...........13 lbs, 13 oz.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
The issued carbine buffer weighs 3.8 oz.

The replacement rifle buffer weighs 5.0 oz.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,469 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,973
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.