-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had the same Mossberg 500 since 1996 with the same 2oz #4 lead load. I changed choke tubes in 2009.

Prior to that, I had 3 different shotguns for turkey while I was figuring out what I wanted.

There's something to be said for picking right and sticking with it.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A lot of the "insanity" of putting together a specific rig, for whatever the task, is the satisfaction derived from it! Same with loading/crafting your own ammo. While a lot of what I do putting something together (firearm or ammo) might not be needed, it sure is wanted! Still feelin the "insanity" over 50 years later! Enjoy!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I 've been using the same 12 gauge Mossberg 500 with Carlsons extra full choke since 1997. Usually shoot 2 3/4" 1.5 oz. lead loads I bought on sale years ago. It's killed the shyt out of every Turkey I've pointed it at. No fancy camo, no fancy choke, no fancy sights/red dots/scopes. Just line up the twin beads and squeeze.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You're my hero and absolutely no fun whatsoever...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't even have a dedicated turkey gun. All of my shotguns pull double or triple duty on other things, turkey, deer, small game, even clays.

Every time I start to change things up on a gun, I tend to go back to where it all started. The only modification I've consistently stuck with is a magnetic HiViz fiber optic sight, which really helps in the early morning, late spring woods.

24" or 28" barrels never made a difference to me. Blued and wood, or camo - no difference. I never stuck with an optic for turkey hunting, eventually deciding that I better liked a rib and a fiber optic sight, even with my aged eyes.

I've done my share of diddling around with after market choke tubes and patterning, but never felt that a stock modified or full choke was a disadvantage at any range I've ever shot a turkey.

But, I admit, diddling around is fun. I just tend to come full circle after starting.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Sometimes I take my 20 gauge BPS instead.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
A lot of the "insanity" of putting together a specific rig, for whatever the task, is the satisfaction derived from it! Same with loading/crafting your own ammo. While a lot of what I do putting something together (firearm or ammo) might not be needed, it sure is wanted! Still feelin the "insanity" over 50 years later! Enjoy!

This is exactly my feelings. The killing is my least favorite part!! All the stuff leading up to the moment is what makes me tick. Having a new gun to get tuned up just makes it that much more fun.

Hook and Book, Shoot and Scoot
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Now you're talking!

Was just up at my favorite little hole in the wall gunstore. There's an as new Remington 870 youth 20ga in the consignment rack for well under $300. Might just "build" another one!

NRA life member

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Was/am thinking about a .410, but this little 20ga is right there too...

NRA life member

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Bedroom gun depends on which corner I reach first might be a TC contender 410 , 870 12 gauge or a weathery Orion 20 gauge sxs.
My problem is to decide which shotgun to hunt with, have a TriStar G2 with a Burris FF3 that's perfect with salt Creek #10 TSS, or a TC Encore in 12 gauge that has performed flawlessly over the years.
Been playing with a CZ BOBWHITE 20 gauge sxs.

Decisions, decisions.....

Needs to be a support group for the sickness

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Now you're talking!

Was just up at my favorite little hole in the wall gunstore. There's an as new Remington 870 youth 20ga in the consignment rack for well under $300. Might just "build" another one!
I've had my BPS almost as long as my Mossberg so it's nothing new. I'm done building guns. Did it for too many years earning a living. Sick to death of it. I have more guns now than I could possibly wear out in 3 lifetimes. Not interested in spending more of my money just to leave a whole bunch of like new guns for somebody else to enjoy. They want guns they can buy their own like I did. I played the search for the ultimate turkey, deer, varmint, upland gun for years. No interest anymore. Used enough different guns, gauges, loads, calibers, bullets to know nothing is going to work any better for my uses than what I have. The fun is all in the hunting for me now. My equipment junkie days are over. I haven't bought a new gun in years and have no plans for more in the future.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I was an electrician for over 40 years... I hate electrical work...

NRA life member

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I was an electrician for over 40 years... I hate electrical work...
I don't even like working on my own guns anymore. Load them up and shoot or hunt with them is all I want to do from here on out.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have plenty that meet my needs, but not as many that meet my wants... so I'll continue on, thank you!

NRA life member

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
More than anything what keeps me from wanting more is knowing full well nothing would live up to my expectations and I'd immediately have to set about upgrading, modifying, refining the damn thing to suit me. No thanks.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H

Now you're talking!

I've had my BPS almost as long as my Mossberg so it's nothing new. I'm done building guns. Did it for too many years earning a living. Sick to death of it. I have more guns now than I could possibly wear out in 3 lifetimes. Not interested in spending more of my money just to leave a whole bunch of like new guns for somebody else to enjoy. They want guns they can buy their own like I did. I played the search for the ultimate turkey, deer, varmint, upland gun for years. No interest anymore. Used enough different guns, gauges, loads, calibers, bullets to know nothing is going to work any better for my uses than what I have. The fun is all in the hunting for me now. My equipment junkie days are over. I haven't bought a new gun in years and have no plans for more in the future.

I hear you on the "leaving guns to others"...
I'm thinning my collection because I have no children or close neices or nephews I'm leaving them to. Theres two sons of my friend at the hunting shack that will inherit my land and guns because they are in my life doing things I enjoy.

My brother in law and I were talking about guns and home insurance policies and its not worth to have a lot extra.

I'm thinking this last one will be my "forever turkey gun" since I've settled on favories in my shooting areas. Shtguns are just so easy to get a huge collection though.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Flhoundhunter28
Sumtoy makes a really nice mount for Holosun as well. Be warned that you have to specify repeatedly that you need the trijicon base. If you don't they may send you the base for the fast fire...... twice lol. With that being said it's a direct fit and sits much lower then anything else I have found

I think Ive experienced the Sumtoy issue. I ordered a Franchi affinity Red Dot mount for my 12 gauge and it sat up a little from the reciever with a gap I lived with. When I banged up my shoulder andbought a franchi 20 gauge and same mount, it didnt fit perfect either... so I swapped them and both sat right.

When I contacted them if the mounts are 12 and 20 gauge specific, they never admitted to shipping me the wrong ones twice. It was like "oh well".

I've seen pictures on facebook of mounts that confirms they are different.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by shootem
Bedroom long gun is a Mossberg 500 Youth 20gauge. 2 3/4” #3 buck with an attached frantic and frightened middle-aged female in case warnings are ignored.

Mine is attached to a 357 revolver. The shotgun is mine

I need to get her back out with the BPS20 and do "range qualifications" by street sweeping a row of mild jugs.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Sumtoy makes good products but what little contact with them customer service is shaky at best. If they had someone running that end of the business everyone would know and use sumtoy. Product is not the problem. Our experience unfortunately is the norm I'm afraid

Hook and Book, Shoot and Scoot
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 35 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,878
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.