-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mr Gunsandgear does great reviews. I like that guy.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
You asked about an "accurate" gun. That means different things to many people.

I will skip a bunch of typing and just say this; I would use a White Oak Armament upper in whatever configuration best suited my needs and tastes. I would put it on a good quality lower that had a decent trigger. A good Colt, BCM, whatever. That matters a lot less, as long as it is quality, and assembled by someone who knows what they are doing.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

I have used White Oak barrels and uppers in more than 2 dozen builds for guys and all shot very well. Usually using MK262 (77 grain Sierra Matchking), but that was what was available for them at the time and location.

Bottom line is that it is extremely easy to simply put a WOA upper on a good lower and be done.

I've got 1 WOA barrel on an SPR build I did, 18" fluted SPR profile. It's shooting very well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

5rds of Sierra 77 grn OTM at 100:

3rds of 77 OTM at 307yds on my turkey swinger head, quit when the bolt head broke off:

I've taken it out to 600 yds and it holds with our .223 bolt guns.

To the OP, it all comes down to task/purpose.. accuracy requirements and budget.

The good news is whatever you get now can be easily modified later if it doesn't match your needs. But as the other guys mentioned, there's a chit load of difference between a defensive carbine set up and a precision rig IE; barrel length, profile, trigger, optic, trigger etc.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 03/31/24.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like BCM.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To me, an AR is first and foremost a rifle with a specific purpose. Accuracy is important, but reliability and the ability to get it on target quickly is the most important factor to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You need to state your purpose for the AR long before asking for a recommendation.

There is a lot of fuddlore on this page, it probably isn't the best place to ask for AR knowledge.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JBabcock
To me, an AR is first and foremost a rifle with a specific purpose. Accuracy is important, but reliability and the ability to get it on target quickly is the most important factor to me.

Agreed.. exactly why I have multiple ARs.

The defensive carbines aren't set-up like my 3Gun rig, which isn't set up like my SPR, which isn't set up like my coyote calling carbine. Trying to put something together to be an "all around" usually ends up being mediocre at everything.

This 3Gun AR (ADJ gas block, lightweight BCG, adjustable buffer, short reset trigger, LPVO, louder than hell brake)

has a different task/purpose than this (stock Colt LE6920, RDS, white light):

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like those!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Those guys suggesting Springfield saints are out of their minds too. Those rifles are known to have issues...

I could not agree more on this point !!!!!!!!!!!
The Springfield Saint is a way overpriced entry level AR.
My BIL wanted an AR so I told him that I would build him a good one for a reasonable price.......he couldn't wait and rushed out and and bought a Saint "Victor"
saying it was the special Saint. not so special an even more overpriced entry level AR......it's had issues grin

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Chuck_R

I will skip a bunch of typing and just say this; I would use a White Oak Armament upper in whatever configuration best suited my needs and tastes. I would put it on a good quality lower that had a decent trigger. A good Colt, BCM, whatever. That matters a lot less, as long as it is quality, and assembled by someone who knows what they are doing.

I have used White Oak barrels and uppers in more than 2 dozen builds for guys and all shot very well. Usually using MK262 (77 grain Sierra Matchking), but that was what was available for them at the time and location.

Bottom line is that it is extremely easy to simply put a WOA upper on a good lower and be done.

I've got 1 WOA barrel on an SPR build I did, 18" fluted SPR profile. It's shooting very well.

3rds of 77 OTM at 307yds on my turkey swinger head, quit when the bolt head broke off:

To the OP, it all comes down to task/purpose.. accuracy requirements and budget.

The good news is whatever you get now can be easily modified later if it doesn't match your needs. But as the other guys mentioned, there's a chit load of difference between a defensive carbine set up and a precision rig IE; barrel length, profile, trigger, optic, trigger etc.

That right there is why I have put together so many guns using WOA barrels. A number of those uppers found their way overseas, as the guys buying them were using them to do good work. When done right, you can have both an ultra reliable AR that is also superbly reliable.

It is not legal to take privately own weapons overseas, but guys would take uppers and optics. So guys would have me build precision uppers, then bolt them onto their issued M4 carbine lowers, and run MK262 ammo. This gave them the ability to put accurate fire at ranges that were normally beyond the ability of a typical issued M4 barrel.

Now WOA builds complete uppers and you can simply pick up whatever configuration suits your needs rather than have someone put together an SPR "type" rifle. Almost all the guns I built had 16" barrel and the early SPRs were mostly 18" barrel guns. But for guys wanting a single "all around" carbine, the 16" guns were by far the most requested.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I agree with this. The WOA complete upper was and still is the easy button for me. I have not shot mine much. But, was surprised/ impressed with the groups with ammo can rounds. The complete units from S&W and Armalite definitely were / are not shabby. But, 2 of the WOA uppers and lowers with decent triggers were unexpectedly surprising for my purpose.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by billj
What is a good, accurate AR in 5.56? I'm not looking for a budget gun, but not a gold-plated one either.

My first question would be "what do you mean by accurate", what will you be using it for, and what else is important to you.

a 10 shot gives 2 MOA gun that weights 7.5-8 pounds with an optic, and a weapon light is golden, while a 12 pound gun that shoots 5 into .5MOAis not my cup of tea.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by billj
What is a good, accurate AR in 5.56? I'm not looking for a budget gun, but not a gold-plated one either.

My first question would be "what do you mean by accurate", what will you be using it for, and what else is important to you.

a 10 shot gives 2 MOA gun that weights 7.5-8 pounds with an optic, and a weapon light is golden, while a 12 pound gun that shoots 5 into .5MOAis not my cup of tea.

The OP is not answering any questions. Maybe he's still thinking about things? The WOA suggestion was a good one, if looking for a top notch shooting rifle. They have a great reputation. But the OP should answer some questions that were asked, and then maybe we can further point him in the right direction. He could go with a heavy azzed 24" Stag, if he's just looking for a good "accurate" AR..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Posted by Chuck_R,

Chuck_R,

Thats pretty impressive. Which WOA Barrel and twist did you use on your SPR build?

Last edited by jc189; 03/31/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s an accurate rifle. Very nice.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jc189
Posted by Chuck_R,

Chuck_R,

Thats pretty impressive. Which WOA Barrel and twist did you use on your SPR build?

Those are very good barrels. All of my rifles have 20" barrels, and shoot exceptionally well. From the factory Colt, to a HBAR Bushmaster and Windham Varmint Exterminators. They are all proven sub moa shooters. That is for 10 shots..

Maybe the OP will chime in and let us know exactly what he's looking for.. Sometimes excellent accuracy/precision can be found in a good barrel like the one shown above. That is just a 20" HBAR Bushmaster. That is my preference in barrel length, for a smooth shooting AR. Along with a rifle length gas system.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I built middle ground AR’s every few years for my gunsmithing business and sell them, I do it on the fly when someone wants me to build them one but I normally only do that for people folks I know.

Put your money in the barrel and the trigger, then buy good parts - wait until around thanksgiving when all the sales go on.
I typically use white oak barrels, and Giessle triggers… with white oak guts.. Then I do the beyond Army Armament AR guys work on it.

Find someone that has taken Gordy Gritters AR building class like that and they can build you one for under 1,200 bucks that will shoot under a dime at 100 yards….

I have 2 left from last year I’ll put up for sale pretty soon… getting time is a bugger these days.

Spot

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jc189
Posted by Chuck_R,

Chuck_R,

Standard WAO 18" SPR profile, fluted 1:8" with matched bolt & carrier.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/18-inch-spr-fluted.html

The rest of it:

Aero Precision stripped upper & lower, I did lap the upper receiver, but haven't bedded it.
Giessele SD-E trigger
SLR Rifle Works FF rail and titanium AGB
Magpul UBR stock

The gas block journals on the WOAs are a little large to allow fitting, so I used a brake hone on the SLR AGB to fit it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 53 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.