Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I need to get a log jack. Use will be to raise moderate sized logs to cut into firewood. Tired of trying lift and prop the log up to keep the chain out of the dirt.

Recomendations?

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Peive and a piece of wood

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find an old Sotz lifter...... Kinda like a Peavy with a raised foot on it

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Like this- - - - -longest possible handle- - - -leverage is your back's friend.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404723534768?

Buy two and rock the log back and forth as you cut.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All that jackin' and jivin'.....

Its quicker and easier to cut most of the way through the entire length of the log and then roll the log over to finish the cuts. A simple cant hook for that. I made mine. Forged in fire.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I picked up a Woodchuck DualPro a couple years ago. It's been a very good piece of kit for me.

https://woodchucktool.com/dualpro

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Its quicker and easier to cut most of the way through the entire length of the log and then roll the log over to finish the cuts. A simple cant hook for that. I made mine. Forged in fire.

Very cool!

Carpe' Scrotum
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Very cool!

Yes it is!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Following. Also need a log jack.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Here are my 2 cant hooks. [Cant is an old English word for a big piece of timber.] The one on the left is five feet long, I made the handle from a dogwood tree. Dogwood is great for tool handles.
It came with a twelve inch steel post which was bolted in to the base, and you could raise the log a foot before you cut it up. It worked OK, but after several years I found it got in the way more so than it was useful, so I removed it.

I cut up a lot of firewood.

Feral American that is some nice work. What kind of wood is the handle, ash?
I have a big chisel, and a slick that I had blacksmiths make for me, those are beautiful tools, have done a lot of work with them building log cabins. Y'all blacksmiths are magicians of the fire and the hot iron.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here is a discussion among the wood stove gear heads over on hearth.com
Four or five guys did just what I did, the little "jack stand" just got in the way, and they just removed it. But they wouldn't go into the woods without their cant hook.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/timberjack-or-cant-hook.82664/

C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Simonkenton

So with those tools you just cut the log most if the way through, roll it, and cut the rest of it?

What about the log pushing together and pinching the blade and bar? That was why I thought raising it would be a plus.

-George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Peavy's and log jacks are the answer, but for smaller logs a couple of saw bucks can't be beat. Kind of a sawhorse but X shaped instead of A shaped.

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes a log gets mud all over it after you skid it, so what I do is fall the tree, buck all my lengths, but only 1/2-3/4 of the way through, keeping enough wood holding so it doesn't break upon skidding.

After I skid it out it will often be clean where I need to cut the rest of the log into sections, or at least the entire log isn't covered in dirt.

This works best on a 12in or larger log and I do it all the time, saves me alot of filing.

I like the idea of a log jack, great idea!

C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Peavy's and log jacks are the answer, but for smaller logs a couple of saw bucks can't be beat. Kind of a sawhorse but X shaped instead of A shaped.

Good post. Will be getting one for smaller stuff

-George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Folding saw bucks are handy but bolts are easy to hit unless well designed, just put together with screws are easy to build and less risk to blade.
I like the height where the saw is at a comfortable level to run.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by cv540
Simonkenton

So with those tools you just cut the log most if the way through, roll it, and cut the rest of it?

What about the log pushing together and pinching the blade and bar? That was why I thought raising it would be a plus.

It is an advantage to have the log raised off the ground. Go ahead and buy the timberjack device and see how you like it. If it doesn't do you right you can always get a cant hook.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a cant hook it was my Great Great Grandfathers from the early 1800's it has been used to roll 100'000's of logs over the centuries and decades and I still use it today....it was given to me by my Grandfather to use....never go to cut wood and not have it....still cut wood on the same family farm.....
Have one that I built in the early 1980's out of all aluminum with a leg to get the log off the ground to cut and a handle that can be adjusted from 4' to 7' long to give leverage for a heavy piece of wood....

When I quit cutting fire wood to heat the house they will be passed on the the next generation if any of them even burn wood.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
like lots of things, its horses for courses.

The cant hook is fine to lift up the end of the log when the log is not very big, say up to about 14" or so and you are on solid ground, then rotate it onto the foot thereby lifting it up. On soggy ground it is less helpful, because the feet (or foot) will just sink in the ground.

The "cut part way, then turn the log" method works great if you can keep the chain out of the dirt. Anyway its about the only option when the log is too big to move with the cant. The cant hook also helps here to turn the log, not raise it, although the cant's feet dont come into play. Some logs are to big for the cant hook to bite so you may need to have a plan B, like another log on a fulcrum that you can lever underneath the log you are trying to cut. Or a tractor with a bucket. On the more manageable straight logs, I'll just roll them with my boot.

The sawbuck is good for smaller logs: the ones where you prefer to avoid the thrill of breaking your back to lift them onto the thing. I like them for team cutting thinner diameter roundwood, where the helper feverishly loads logs onto the sawbuck as you wack them to the preferred length.

Bottom line, the cant hook always gets brought along for any project that involves greater than about a 6" diameter log. It may stay in the truck, but its there. Very useful tool.

Don't remember where I got my cant which is of the wood handle type, but have seen solid looking Stihl cant hooks in more than one Ace hardware.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The small cant hook made by Woodmiser is the bomb. It is short, light,, works great. It is the the most useful tool that I have around my sawmill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 14idaho, 16penny, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 1,644 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,646
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.