Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I’ll be there mid July with wife and 2 daughters. Wife has the whole itinerary planned for sight seeing and hiking etc, but we’re looking for something to do that would be memorable other than the obvious amazing sights and landscapes. We have 9 days split between MT and Canada and we’ll be in 4 different hotels or condos over the trip and using a rental car to move around.

I’m thinking fishing? We know nothing about fly fishing but I really think the girls will enjoy an outdoor activity besides hiking.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I don’t mind paying for a 1/2 day guided trip to have better success than DIY.

Other ideas? Suggested outfitters?

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have you considered rafting the Middle Fork Flathead River? It's the southwestern boundary of Glacier. Trips are mostly geared to whitewater, but fishing is likely available through the right company.

Last edited by DHN; 03/31/24.

Dale

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If going to Banff, go to the Prince of Wales Hotel.

https://www.glacierparkcollection.com/lodging/prince-of-wales-hotel/

It's a must see. We stayed there and it was incredible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do they like horses? There is trail ride outfitters in Banff. Boat tour on Lake Minnewonka in Banff NP. How about the cable car up Sulphur Mountain in Banff NP?

There is also a boat tour on Lake Waterton.

Remington Museum near Cardston, outside Waterton NP. Museum is of carriages and wagons etc. one of a chain of outstanding Alberta museums. Depending on your route from Waterton to Banff, you could pass by the Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump museum which is about the plains Indians running bison over cliffs.

If you took the back way from Waterton to Banff, which is a little shorter, you would be driving up highway 22, “the Cowboy Trail”, one of the prettiest drives you’ll ever see. You would pass by the Bar U Ranch National Historic Site.

If you spend time in Calgary, Heritage Park is a great way to spend half a day.

If they like dinosaurs, the Tyrell Museum near Drumheller is the third of the world class museums you would see.

F
F
Just watch out for the Hoodoos! crazy

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by devnull

This!

If you can not afford to stay there, at least indulge yourself and the wife by booking a meal there!

I clearly recall the dining experience and the specific meal my girlfriend and I had there.

It was like I had imagined first class would be like on the Titanic (it dates from the same era).

I can't recall the cost (other than it was expensive) but it was nearly four decades ago!

Not many meals that I can recall four decades later - the food and the service was that good! grin

Also, at the link that devnull posted, there are other fun things you can do in the area, including horseback riding if your girls like horses (don't they all?) laugh

/John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Going to the sun road in Glacier if it's open by then. Gotten busier so tickets are a must I think and it's weather dependant. Many Glacier lodge and the lakes are interesting too. Lot of good hikes around there

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I hope you gave all your reservations at Banff in place. Parking permits at Lake Louise are very hard to get. Have a great trip.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Polebridge was a cool place too. Kinda out of the way but interesting. The bear claw huckleberry pastries are great

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming! Probably going to stay away from horseback riding due to allergies.

Originally Posted by DHN
Have you considered rafting the Middle Fork Flathead River? It's the southwestern boundary of Glacier. Trips are mostly geared to whitewater, but fishing is likely available through the right company.

Will look into this. Thanks.

Originally Posted by devnull

Thanks! Will make a point to at least see it.

Planning to do this.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’d skip the Canada part, I always tote an AR rig and a couple of pistolas when I vacay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Around glacier, the rafting trip is fun and you can get a guided fishing trip and float the northfork of the flathead. If the fishing is bad the float on the northfork is worth the trip. Hit Polebridge and East Glacier both, you might enjoy a trip around Flathead lake. It will be crowded around the park that time of year. If you enter going to the sun road on the East side you don't need a ticket to get in in. All the entrance on the west side is controlled via online ticket in advance. The whole area NW MT is pretty scenic with lots of lakes and rivers. You might even get lucky and see a naked hippie around polebridge laugh

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’d skip the Canada part, I always tote an AR rig and a couple of pistolas when I vacay.

Slummy

U can cum to Utah & be right at home with UR AR's

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went rafting in Banff. It was great - cold, but great. Did some amazing hiking although I wasn't prepared for knee deep snow in mid June.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a few pictures from a trip to Glacier a few years back. West and East Glacier , A few lakes , great trip. Saw wildlife but didn't take many pictures. Had a cow moose and calf within 20 feet and was more concerned with backing away instead of photos.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We lived in NW Calgary for 4 1/2 years. Rafting the Kananaskis River was a good time.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Troutnut,
Where is that lodge on the lake? beautiful location

D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Beautiful scenery! Missus has talked about going there for years!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Troutnut,
Where is that lodge on the lake? beautiful location
Many Glacier lodge , Swift current lake. Closest town is Browning MT I believe

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.