Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
gunbroker, find an 870P with a surefire light for around 6 bills.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks everyone

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just one more option to think about. The 870 fieldmaster compact. 20guage. 18"bbl. 12" LOP. very versatile for all family members. It may not be just you who needs it in an emergency. Just another option.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sweets
Just one more option to think about. The 870 fieldmaster compact. 20guage. 18"bbl. 12" LOP. very versatile for all family members. It may not be just you who needs it in an emergency. Just another option.

Pretty good option, for anyone.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
A few years back the gun store had a ithaca 37 police special for 500 bucks. I walked away. Kick myself every day om that one

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Maverick 88 or Mossberg 500. I got the 500 as a package deal with an 18" barrel and a hunting barrel. It's no show piece but I'm happy with it and more importantly I trust it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wildfowl
VERY cheapest I would go is the Mossberg 500 (US Military had luck with them except the plastic safeties) but the Remington 870 would be my first choice. The older Police model trade-ins are where I would start.
BOOM!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up getting a 870 Tactical with magpul furniture, short rail with xs ghost ring sights and breacher choke tube. I believe this one was produced when Remington was still Remington.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s a great choice. You might consider sending it to Vang Comps and letting them give it some serious TLC. You get what you pay for.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I have my 870 set up. Magazine extension tubes are reasonable and available. If you have a barrel that takes REM chokes you can buy cylinder bore chokes. Newer 870's dimpled the end of the magazine tube its easy to drill the dimple out so you can use the extension tube. Enjoy the search! Plenty of used 870's available on Gunbroker. The smooth bore slug barrel is a nice set up and most are cylinder bore. You might get lucky and find one that took REM chokes.

I walk around like I'm ok, but deep down inside, I wanna buy another gun.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm rather fond of my Maverick 88 for this

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The 20 gauge is a mighty workable choice for those of us tired of the beating inflicted by 12 gauge patrol shotguns.

Back door:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Remington 870 20 gauge, mostly for animal issues, with a red fiber optic front sight. Right now, there’s a high intensity flashlight screwed onto the front of the mag, using a special, double ended mag tube cap, and the light beam indexes pretty well with the sight.

Front door:
RIA VR82 20 gauge for who knows what, with Leupold RDS and XS Big Dot Tritium Express angled back up sights for day or night, plus a Streamlight TLR-3 fastened to the port side of the hand guard at the front. Three more 5-shot box mags of No.3 Buck wait just to the left of the coat rack.

Both are 20 gauge, with No.3 Buck for easy control by me or Wifey, yet with reasonable effectiveness.

In reserve:
Remington 1100 12 gauge with slugs, ‘cause we do have a Black Bear snoops around once in a while. But, long as that’s all it does, we’ll continue getting along just fine. XS Tritium Express sights for day or night.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
For cheaper home defense, this is my choice in shotguns.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bartman
... Spray out the assembly with WD-40 or CLR, swab the barrel and coat the exterior with products previously mentioned. .....

Do not spray or"lube" with WD-40. It is not a lubricant. It was designed to "displace water (hence the " WD" of the WD-40 name , "Water Displacement"). WD-40 will gum up an action.

Clean with cleaner (Ii.e. Hope's #9 or similar), then lube with oil. I use Marvel Mystery Oil. Works well in cold temps too.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Exchipy

The 20 gauge is a mighty workable choice for those of us tired of the beating inflicted by 12 gauge patrol shotguns.

Back door:
Remington 870 20 gauge, mostly for animal issues, with a red fiber optic front sight. Right now, there’s a high intensity flashlight screwed onto the front of the mag, using a special, double ended mag tube cap, and the light beam indexes pretty well with the sight.

Front door:
RIA VR82 20 gauge for who knows what, with Leupold RDS and XS Big Dot Tritium Express angled back up sights for day or night, plus a Streamlight TLR-3 fastened to the port side of the hand guard at the front. Three more 5-shot box mags of No.3 Buck wait just to the left of the coat rack.

Both are 20 gauge, with No.3 Buck for easy control by me or Wifey, yet with reasonable effectiveness.

Vang Comp seems to be proud of their work given the caption—"A more capable 20ga fighting shotgun, there never was." Looks like they cut through the rib to mount the Holosun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MickinColo
For cheaper home defense, this is my choice in shotguns.

Always wanted one of these

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A good short barreled shotgun, cycle that action in a dark house, and you have the bad guy's attention.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good short barreled shotgun, cycle that action in a dark house, and you have the bad guy's attention.

I prefer a double barrel. Just go out on the balcony and fire two blasts. I promise you, who ever is coming in is gonna leave.

😂

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yeah, not for me. Not gonna give up my postion.

My luck in a stressful situation, Id short stroke it and cause a jam.

They will never hear the safety on my Benelli M4

Last edited by Beretta_Shooter916; 04/12/24.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W

Someone had to say it. (Face palm). 🫤

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.