Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Based on plenty of past experience with various TSXs and TTSXs from .257 to 9.3mm, haven't been able to tell any difference.

I’m in this camp. With a fairly significant sample size.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used the old X bullet then the TTSX in 7Saum and the 90 grain X bullet in my 257 Roberts. The 90 grain pill is no longer in production, but I think I've got enough to last me for awhile.

Everything I've shot with the 140 TTSX in 7SAUM has never taken more than a step. Usually, the drop right there but I've never recovered a single bullet. I killed two Aoudad in west Texas with one shot. Through the shoulders of a ewe and into the head of another at 183 yards. Several west Texas mulies adorn my wall by that bullet. My 257 Roberts loves the 90 grainer and has been responsible for most of my west Texas whitetail kills along with several feral barbado/mouflon cross sheep. Only one whitetail every took more than a step, running about 50 yards before crashing.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by ol_mike
How big of a real world difference is there between the TTSX and the LR-X long range bullet?
Pertaining to expansion.
Based on a limited sample size with the LRX, my initial impression is that the LRX expands more aggressively than the TTSX, which expands more aggressively than the TSX. The 127 gr 6.5mm and 145 gr 7mm LRX seem fairly willing to shed petals when they hit bone, even at fairly low impact speed. In terms of penetration, the TTSX and TSX exit so often that I haven't be able to observe a noticeable difference between them, but of the handful of LRX bullets that my hunting buddies and I have shot into deer (ranging from 100 lbs to ~400 lbs) and moose, I have seen a much higher percentage fail to exit compared to the TTSX and TSX. Again, this is a limited sample size and more game shooting may reveal that the first handful of kills contained a few anomalies.
If they're more willing to shed petals do they do as much damage to vitals or is sample size too small to make that determination?
Based on the small sample size with the LRX (8 critters so far, IIRC), it does more damage than what I typically see with the TTSX and TSX.
Just to give a little more context, I've lost track of the exact count now, but I've seen 150-160 BG animals die via Barnes bullets (X, TSX, TTSX, LRX), and only a handful of those were with the LRX. My hunting partners and I have mainly switched our Barnes usage to the LRX, so that sample size will hopefully increase in the near future.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How big of a real world difference is there between the TTSX and the LR-X long range bullet?
Pertaining to expansion.
Based on a limited sample size with the LRX, my initial impression is that the LRX expands more aggressively than the TTSX, which expands more aggressively than the TSX. The 127 gr 6.5mm and 145 gr 7mm LRX seem fairly willing to shed petals when they hit bone, even at fairly low impact speed. In terms of penetration, the TTSX and TSX exit so often that I haven't be able to observe a noticeable difference between them, but of the handful of LRX bullets that my hunting buddies and I have shot into deer (ranging from 100 lbs to ~400 lbs) and moose, I have seen a much higher percentage fail to exit compared to the TTSX and TSX. Again, this is a limited sample size and more game shooting may reveal that the first handful of kills contained a few anomalies.
If they're more willing to shed petals do they do as much damage to vitals or is sample size too small to make that determination?
Based on the small sample size with the LRX (8 critters so far, IIRC), it does more damage than what I typically see with the TTSX and TSX.
Just to give a little more context, I've lost track of the exact count now, but I've seen 150-160 BG animals die via Barnes bullets (X, TSX, TTSX, LRX), and only a handful of those were with the LRX. My hunting partners and I have mainly switched our Barnes usage to the LRX, so that sample size will hopefully increase in the near future.
I got it.

Was wondering if those few LRX she'd petals upon entry of if it was evident at what point they were shed.

It sounds like it must not be upon entry if you're seeing more damage.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/01/24.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pertaining to expansion.
I got it.

Was wondering if those few LRX she'd petals upon entry of if it was evident at what point they were shed.

It sounds like it must not be upon entry if you're seeing more damage.
No, not on entry. I've seen petals from the TTSX just under the entry-side hide when impact speed was very high, but in the case of the LRX most of the impacts so far have been at more moderate speeds, 2700 fps or less. In one particular case, a 127 gr 6.5mm LRX impacted a quartering away MD buck at 280 meters. The bullet entered the last rib and impacted the offside humerus, where it came to a stop. I found the bullet against the bone with a loose petal beside it.

IC B2

K
K
I've yet to recover a 180 grain TSX or TTSX from my 300 Win Mag after 8 or 9 animals from whitetail to aoudad and kudu from 50 to 250 yards.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Typical TTSX and LRX performance: Get out the skinning knife and meat bags.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have found petals from near the entrance hole to around the exit hole--and one in the heart of a deer.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Been shooting the 120 grain ttsx in 260 rem and 6.5 rem mag, both delivered destruction to big northen whitetails and hogs, switched to 127 lrx cause I got a deal on a bunch, i think the destruction on contact is more than the ttsx, anything but flesh on the way in and you have a real mess in the internals, even delivers thru the plate on the side of a big hog. Yet to own a rifle that won't shoot them well too, which is nice.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I quit using them after the second time one cratered on a bull’s shoulder. No penetration, just a surface wound. My brother had to finish both of them with Accubonds.

Never again.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I quit using them after the second time one cratered on a bull’s shoulder. No penetration, just a surface wound. My brother had to finish both of them with Accubonds.

Never again.

P
Not disputing your post, but I have never seen such results from various mule deer and elk kills.
Hard for me to imagine Accubonds performing better. Just me.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Never again.

P

7-08 ?

Which bullet & weight?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
April Fools, bįtches

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
April Fools, bįtches

Now THAT was cruel! Haha.... you got me, Pharm.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
April Fools, bįtches

Good one. Lol

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
April Fools, bįtches
NO WAY- it was over with back east or out in the Atlantic ocean

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
All time is local.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My experience with TTSX:

1. Bang flop
2. Go to 1 - repeat, repeat, repeat and so forth

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wow……ya had me! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/02/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a friend who owns a 20,000 acre ranch in NM who sells Elk tags and has hosted big names in the hunting and shooting industry

He won’t allow a customer to hunt with a Barnes bullet

Originally Posted by Bristoe
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,802
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.