Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BigGnTn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I traded for some primed brass that had been pulled down because the guy just couldn’t develop a good load for a particular rifle. Is there any reason why I couldn’t/shouldn’t dry tumble them? I don’t really care if they’re shiny as long as they’re clean. My only thought is to use untreated media if I decide to do it. I can’t imagine there’s a genuine danger of setting off primers. Seems like a freak accident would have to occur. Thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Waste of time. Dampen a cloth with some isopropyl alcohol and wipe them off to remove any grit, surface dirt, or case lube the seller may have left. Dries immediately. That’s actually all I typically do to all my brass, and I look them over for defects while I wipe.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting as I put some kroil in a case for a couple days to kill the primer as folks say WD40 but I was out of that. For chits and giggles I chambered it and pulled the trigger, it went bang.
Now how much damage is untreated media going to do? Waste of time maybe, damage doubtful.

Swifty
B
BigGnTn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Waste of time. Dampen a cloth with some isopropyl alcohol and wipe them off to remove any grit, surface dirt, or case lube the seller may have left. Dries immediately. That’s actually all I typically do to all my brass, and I look them over for defects while I wipe.
That’s kinda the way I’m leaning. I traded for the primed as opposed to the non-primed to snag 100+ free LRP’s still in them. I’m not necessarily hung up on shiny. As for wasting time, the tumbler and media separator does the work so that’s not really a drawback.

B
BigGnTn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Interesting. My thought around using untreated was just to keep any polish from being present. Doesn’t sound like that’s a real issue either based on what you’re saying.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My biggest concern would be getting the tumbling media stuck in the primer flash hole and how that would affect the ignition timing.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by buffybr
My biggest concern would be getting the tumbling media stuck in the primer flash hole and how that would affect the ignition timing.

oh it will affect things for sure

B
BigGnTn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I think you hit on the biggest concern. I guess I’ll just inspect, hand clean and roll with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigGnTn
I think you hit on the biggest concern. I guess I’ll just inspect, hand clean and roll with them.

Wise decision.
On another note, had an interesting thing happen on a 220 Swift, evidently I missed a case that had a clump of corncob media stuck in the bottom of it. Went bang, velocity was off ~80-90 fps when i extracted the case some little black clumps fell into the action. Cleaned that up went ahead and inspected the bore and had some burnt corncob residue in the barrel pushed a swab through it and went back shooting.

Maybe that little explosion of the primer is stronger than you think

Swifty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Many years ago I bought several hundred Federal 270 win brass that was factory pull down.......
the necks needed sized so I de-primed them all with no issues sized the necks, cleaned them then re-primed them all.
You sure that your necks are OK ????? most pull down brass needs neck sizing

IC B3

B
BigGnTn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Many years ago I bought several hundred Federal 270 win brass that was factory pull down.......
the necks needed sized so I de-primed them all with no issues sized the necks, cleaned them then re-primed them all.
You sure that your necks are OK ????? most pull down brass needs neck sizing
I’ll probably just set up the die and resize. Or, carefully decap and build from scratch.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Pappy is right, in my opinion.

I have a couple of tumblers and I’ll use them sometimes. Mostly before I sell the brass. Buyers like shiny brass. The other time is when using BPCR cases. In which case, I’ll use a wet tumbling method or clean with soap and water then tumble after dry.
Part of the issue with tumbling is the inside of the neck gets too clean. A jacketed bullet and the neck of the case will exchange molecules and ‘weld’. Some people are offended by the term weld and will want to use the word bond, btw. The thing is the bonding of the bullet and the case gets stronger as the loaded round stays loaded. Maybe using a nylon brush loaded with graphite brushed inside age neck before loading will slow the welding/binding process, IDK.

Tumbling can have an affect you might not like.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/31/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by steveredd1

oh it will affect things for sure

Yep, that is the biggest issue. A no go for me. If I really wanted to tumble the brass, I'd pop the primers out, resize and just tumble it.. End of story..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always re-size pulled primed brass. I would hand clean them, load them up and then tumble them.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by duke61
I always re-size pulled primed brass. I would hand clean them, load them up and then tumble them.

As in, tumble "loaded ammo"??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by REDGUN

Yes sir, many many times my boy

B
BigGnTn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by REDGUN

I’ve heard about the wive’s tales along with the engineer’s responses to those tales. I’ll side with the engineers if I ever feel the need to tumble “loaded ammo”. I haven’t found the need to do that but, I wouldn’t be scared to do it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Carefully deprime them with either a Universal decap die or use a regular die, but extend the decap pin way out from either die. Make sure primers there is room for gas to escape should one go off. I have done this many times reclaiming unknown reloads. Slowly, smoothly, carefully and the Primers will be fine to reuse. Then do whatever you want to the brass.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
A friend of mine tried that and the media did get into the flash hole. He ended up using NEVR Dull found on Amazon. He chucked up a bullet in a drill and it had enough friction when pushed into the case mouth and then would just spin the case in the container of EAGLE ONE NEVR-Dull. Having the bullet in the case mouth kept the inside clean. I do believe he chucked the back of the bullet up. Hope this helps. Memory serves he said they cleaned up real nice.

I walk around like I'm ok, but deep down inside, I wanna buy another gun.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've tumbled brass with primers in them, lots of times. Never saw a failure...

Maybe ignorant is bliss..... who knows.. but I'm sure someone will be along to tell us.

With the usual campfire slander included, of course!. smile

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,511
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.