Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sherm_61
You missed the point Bud, my reloading room is sitting full of stuff for pistol and rifle that I bought 99% 5-10 years ago, more than I will ever shoot and alot will be left for my grandson. I will never depend on a store for ammo and alot of brass for most of my 17 and 20 cal stuff.
I shoot probably shoot minimum of 3,000 rounds a year in my rifles and friends- family's rifles alone i load for.
Did I say not to shoot cheap ammo? NO.
jDont expect to buy ammo all time this [bleep] is better now but it will get worse and mostly likely more expensive the presedent has been set.

your the Sherminator

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like most of you I do pick up .223 range brass. I sort it by length then by head stamp. Anything shorter than 1.750, I give to my friends or if it's really short I drop it in the recycle bucket. Then I sort by once or twice fired. I like to keep them separate. When I have time I sort by crimped brass and uncrimped. The uncrimped brass is easier to process. When it's cold outside and I have the heater on in the basement, I process the crimped brass. Deprime, swage, uniform the primer pockets and sort by length and headstamp. It makes the winter nights go fast then I shoot all spring and summer.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What's the point of ditching the shorter brass?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

I wonder that my self there grow in time, wont need trimmed as much

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by steveredd1
Originally Posted by sherm_61
You missed the point Bud, my reloading room is sitting full of stuff for pistol and rifle that I bought 99% 5-10 years ago, more than I will ever shoot and alot will be left for my grandson. I will never depend on a store for ammo and alot of brass for most of my 17 and 20 cal stuff.
I shoot probably shoot minimum of 3,000 rounds a year in my rifles and friends- family's rifles alone i load for.
Did I say not to shoot cheap ammo? NO.
jDont expect to buy ammo all time this [bleep] is better now but it will get worse and mostly likely more expensive the presedent has been set.

your the Sherminator
You a funny guy.
How dies the saying go " Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me" well I never went for 2 some just learn easier than others.
After the early 2,000's primer " scare" i decided then im not gonna rely on anybody for my ammo.
History repeats itself, we haven't even got out of round 3 yet may never will.

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/26/24.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys must shoot a hell of a lot!!!! For fuggs sake. I picked up a few thousand pieces of range brass, in a couple days, and that pretty much gives me a lifetime supply. I bow down to you guys...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You guys must shoot a hell of a lot!!!! For fuggs sake. I picked up a few thousand pieces of range brass, in a couple days, and that pretty much gives me a lifetime supply. I bow down to you guys...

Remember too.....223 Ack Improved easily formed from LC brass

Or 20 Practical as well

For the more ambitious...300 Black Out

Although very labor intensive

Much easier to buy new Starline 300 BLK

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I tumble it first, then stand it up in loading blocks. I look at it with a lighted magnifier and toss like headstamps into tubs.

lightman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm just trying to get more consistent neck tension. Especially on bullets that are not crimped.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

I hear ya, but the average match (3GUN) is about 100-150 rds of .223 and that brass isn't coming back.

That's about 1000 pieces per match season that need to be prepped and loaded just to keep up. Then there's practice etc.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 04/01/24.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
IC B3

V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
lighthman ,that is a good idea .thank you

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
T
T
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Here bud you completely missed the point. I dont depend on buying at a store, but I dont believe in sitting at a bench for 2-3 hours loading rounds that total cost is 2-3 cents cheaper than what I can buy and those prices were for shipped. Even with a good stash of components sooner or later you have to replace at significantly higher cost.
Now when you look at rounds like 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 25.06, 243, 220 Swift the prices of loaded ammo is shocking to say the least. Those I load for due to being able to load for 50-60% less depending on bullet compared to 1-2 bucks per. 45 ACP I shoot a bunch out of 3 pistols as its my standard carry caliber. 9mm and 556 meh, don’t really trip my trigger.
My son was planning a trip to the range last week to shoot his 45-70 and was low on ammo so he went to the store to buy some factory ammo. I still laugh at the frantic call I got when he saw what they were wanting for a box of 20. Needless to say he made the time to drive to my shop and pick up a box of 50 reloads.

T
T
Originally Posted by lightman
I tumble it first, then stand it up in loading blocks. I look at it with a lighted magnifier and toss like headstamps into tubs.
I like this idea, I'm going to try it out. Thanks!

T
T
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Remember too.....223 Ack Improved easily formed from LC brass

Or 20 Practical as well

For the more ambitious...300 Black Out

Although very labor intensive

Much easier to buy new Starline 300 BLK
There is a easy way to convert to 300 BO. It's not cheap to setup but buy once /cry once comes to mind, LOL. I bought the Dillon 1500 Trimmer, Tool Head, Trim Die and Lee M Die.
One pull for a complete case. I lightly chamfer the neck, inside and outside and I'm done. I tried using the chop saw, size and trim to length method. After doing 500 cases I was searching for a place to buy them.

Last edited by Termite_I; 04/23/24. Reason: Spelling correction
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I might have some factory 223 brass, but probably less than a dozen. I have thousands of 5.62 brass. During the Vietnam war, brass was available by the bucket load. The only problem I had with that brass was the firing pin hole was often off center and it destroyed a few de-capping pins.
Now I recapped originally with a universal decapping device that looked a lot like a punch and a raised washer.
I had a friend machine a device that identified off center firing pin holes. The off center case were scrapped. I still had maybe in the neighborhood of 10,000 cases.
I swaged the primer pockets. I’ve not had to buy brass for the 223, even though I’ll load a thousand for a PD shoot.
You can buy your factory brass. I don’t want to pay for that much brass from a factory.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kwg020
I'm just trying to get more consistent neck tension. Especially on bullets that are not crimped.

kwg

Suggestion for that neck tension consistency : Get a Hornady Universal Neck sizing die which is caliber specific.
Adjust it right you won't have to worry about neck tension Consistency.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 15 invisible), 1,630 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,484
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.