Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I have a Remington 141 that I put a receiver sight on and needed a taller front sight and to put a blank in the dovetail for the rear sight. The dovetails in the barrel and front sight ramp are just a slight bit bigger than 3/8". I would like to position the front sight and blank in and silver solder them in place. Will this hurt the bluing or anything else? I was thinking epoxy, but that would be a pain if I wanted to return the rifle to original.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Silver solder melts at about 1200 degress F. You will have to get the barrel red hot to do what you want to do.

My personal opinion? It could warp and discolor the barrel. Unless you use something to protect the bore, this much heat could also cause scale inside.

Epoxy will turn loose if you heat it to about 300 degrees F. Some less than that. I would go with the epoxy, and if you want to go back to original, that is better than heating it red hot.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
How about taking the front sight out, grinding it flat and silver soldering a new front sight on that? No barrel issues and same dovetail. Or, a new front sight could be screwed into the existing front sight after it's milled/ground.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I learned years ago to take a piece of brass stock, lay it over each edge of the barrel dovetail, and smack it with a hammer. It will tighten up the dovetail and you can't notice it on the barrel. It really does work and will hold sights or slots in place like they should. Thanks...Bill.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another trick is to add a little "harder" soft solder like Brownell's Hi-Force series to the bottom of the sight to build it up a little. File close, driving the sight in will trim off the little excess that's left.

An old trick, disparaged by some, for a "just a little loose" sight is to center punch inside the dovetail which raises the metal around the divot.

That said I usually go with peening the top of the dovetail like model70man said when practical. Go slow, don't get to strong hammering on it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

P
P
Use the correct solder and all is good.Silver solder is for HVAC work not gunsmithing.

.........JIM........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by apprentice
I have a Remington 141 that I put a receiver sight on and needed a taller front sight and to put a blank in the dovetail for the rear sight. The dovetails in the barrel and front sight ramp are just a slight bit bigger than 3/8". I would like to position the front sight and blank in and silver solder them in place. Will this hurt the bluing or anything else? I was thinking epoxy, but that would be a pain if I wanted to return the rifle to original.

Williams makes a front sight ramp that screws to a dovetail filler that can be munted with locktite if you are worried about returning rifle to original condition.

If you can't improve on silence, shut the #@&% up!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
put a low ramp that is dovetailed for a F sight. there are some that has a filler for a screw it is put in the original davetail and the ramp is set on and a screw goes into the filler to hold the ramp on it dosent matter if the original dove tail is loose. I hope I said it right..

Last edited by Hubert; 01/21/08.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by pajim
Use the correct solder and all is good.Silver solder is for HVAC work not gunsmithing.

.........JIM........

I guess I have been doing it wrong all these years?
I have silver soldered a pile of sights onto shotgun barrels that were cut down to 20 inches. You will need to reblue
afterwards if you get sloppy with the flux.
whelennut
PS If you rap the dovetail just lightly with a ball peen hammer you will not need solder.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Silver brazing is better than screws if it's done well. Brazed sights look and work better on a rifle than on anything else...........MO...

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,866
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.