Hop To
H
hound46 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hi all,

I'm contemplating having a custom lever gun built up on a Marlin 1894 action. I would not need the barrel, stock/forearm wood, or sights. I'm having trouble finding an affordable project gun. A friend suggested buying new and parting it out to belay some of the cost.

How hard do you think it would be to sell the parts and what do you think the return would be?

Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do not think there would be much market for this stuff as it is awfully hard to wear out a baarrel in 44mag and few of them are so bad from the factory that they will not shoot as well as one needs a 44mag to shoot. Most people buying sights for a levergun are going to go with peeps or glass. Factory sights not so good for most folks. Might find a buyer for the wood if someone broke thiers somehow. I think that if you buy a gun for a parts gun you will end up owning the extra parts, which is not all bad. If you are worried about the cost of your build and need to recoup the cost of extra parts I would caution you to thik long and hard before staarting such a project. These things almost ALWAYS end up costing a lot more than the original estimates..... don't ask me how I know this smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
H
hound46 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the input safariman. I'll continue to look for a reasonably priced used rifle, knowing I'm probably paying whatever I pay for the receiver. A gunsmith friend of mine specializes in leverguns and unfortunately I think I've been infected with the need to have one of his rifles.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A friend suggested buying new and parting it out to belay some of the cost.

Not all of my ideas make sense...

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck! I looked for a reasonably priced 1894 to use as a truck gun for about ten years. Finally retired, so I quit looking--don't need one anymore...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

H
hound46 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Heck Supercrewd, that may end up being the cheapest way to go anyway. Your ideas usually make sense and most importantly haven't gotten me into any trouble yet. Can't say that for all my friends.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Originally Posted by safariman
I do not think there would be much market for this stuff as it is awfully hard to wear out a baarrel in 44mag and few of them are so bad from the factory that they will not shoot as well as one needs a 44mag to shoot. Most people buying sights for a levergun are going to go with peeps or glass. Factory sights not so good for most folks. Might find a buyer for the wood if someone broke thiers somehow. I think that if you buy a gun for a parts gun you will end up owning the extra parts, which is not all bad. If you are worried about the cost of your build and need to recoup the cost of extra parts I would caution you to thik long and hard before staarting such a project. These things almost ALWAYS end up costing a lot more than the original estimates..... don't ask me how I know this smile

Safariman has spoken a great truth! (don't ask how I know, either)

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The only downside I see with the new receivers is the crossbolt safety. I replaced mine with a dummy bolt that looks like a screw head so it fills in that unsightly void. If you color case harden you can do some contrast with that and it would look good. Even if you can only get a few bucks from the parts, it does defray the cost. The used guns seem to be selling for slightly less than wholesale these days.

NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by safariman

This reminds me of a moment that I didn't have a reply for. I was picking up a Winchester 1895 in 270 at the gunshop, and was telling the guy behind the counter about my plans for the rifle, I am going to rechamber and rebore it to 375 Hawk among other things. His reply was, "why didn't you just buy the 405 and be done. Do you know how much that is going to cost?" I'm still going to do the project, but just because I'm not always entirely rational.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PM sent

Ryan

Last edited by 78CJ; 01/18/08.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,368 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,864
Posts18,497,278
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.