Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Legs and thighs go into the Instant Pot and are cooked until tender, they are then shredded and either fried in beef fat for tacos, or made into enchiladas.

If I get a turkey this season, the legs and thighs will be made into Birria tacos.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I prefer the dark meat over the breasts personally. I cut up the bird and separate for about 3 or 4 meals.

I cook them in a crock pot with a can of cream of mushroom soup and some pealed potatoes.
Add a fresh salad and some dinner rolls and good to go.
Works for me.

My nephew shoots quite a few pheasants and normally just keeps the breasts. Now he saves the
leg/thigh pieces for me and I cook same method as above. You have to go slow with the legs and
remove the small bones and tough stuff, but the flavor is over the top.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
In the last 25 years i can only remember 3 try's at eating a Rio Grande Turkey none were worth the trouble of cleaning the bird they are like chewing a mouth full of rubber bands, as for hunting Turkeys we are covered up with them no i know hunts them, I kick them off my porch and patio they Schitt on every thing, they are NASTY. Rio7

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They taste like crawfish mud

Cut the beard and pull the spurs toss em out at the stop sign.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Cut the breast out toss the rest

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cooked on a grill low and slow with lots of butter. Baste it often.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Good luck- - - - -try the same recipe on a pair of worn out work boots- - - - -they'll be easier to chew. Deep fried turkey breast nuggets are pretty good- - - -pressure cook the rest and feed it to the dog if you've got something against keeping the buzzards and possums healthy.

My sentiments exactly, I tried to deep fry one as well as baking in a bag. I will not try again and no longer hunt turkey.

NRA Endowment Member
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by cra1948
I roast whole wild turkeys on my Weber kettle charcoal grill and they’re great.

First, gut the bird immediately after shooting it, but leave the feathers on. Like any kind of wild meat. You have to hang it. I fill one of the plastic grocery bags with ice, pull it up into the body cavity and pull the bag handles up and out through the opening I make over the top of the breast and loop them over the bird’s head and neck, then hang the bird by the head in the coolest place I can find until it comes out of rigor, when you can move a leg or wing easily.

Interesting. I seem to remember reading about people doing something similar with pheasants but IIRC, they hung them for several days. Makes total sense. Back when I hunted a lot, I would put deer quarters in a cooler with ice or in a fridge for about a week before cutting up but never would have thought to age a bird.

Every bit as important to age birds as it is deer or any other game meat. Doesn’t matter what kind. Apparently a lot don’t realize that, but if they’re happy with how they do it, rock on.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A specialized turkey roaster works best. It helps seal in the moisture. Just pluck it, leave the skin on, roast as normal. Baste occasionally. Season as you wish.

It's easy to pluck a turkey. Grab a hand full of feathers and pull. No hot water needed.

Keep the heart. Keep the liver. Keep the gizzard. But cut the gizzard open and remove the gravel and sack. Cook these inside the bird.

Don't throw away the legs or thighs. There is good meat on both.

Wild bird ain't a Butterball. It's all tougher than farm bird. But dealing with that is part of the hunt.

Just remember to run a flame of some kind over the cooked bird to burn off the inevitable hairs left behind.

Here's the one I shot a couple of months ago all cooked up.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...y-think-its-spring-first-bird-with-a-410

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Legs and bits go in the insta-pot. Breasts get special treatment. Feathers get used for fly tying. I try to use it all.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Houston_2
A baking bag works very well for tame and wild turkeys.

This right here
And use a thermometer

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by SS336
Legs and bits go in the insta-pot. Breasts get special treatment. Feathers get used for fly tying. I try to use it all.

That looks delicious!

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They can't take a joke.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here in South Louisiana we pot roast the legs and thighs, till they fall apart and you can remove the splines in the legs.

Brown the dark meat in a little oil, then add onions, bell pepper celery garlic, saute till veggies reduce, add chicken broth till meat is covered, cook for 3-4 hours, add Cajun seasoning, cook some rice

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Somewhere I have the Shooting Times issue where Skeeter wrote of Jug Johnson erroneously shooting Dobe Grant's ancient Billy Goat, and Dobe causing it to be cooked and eaten (to everyone's great "pleasure") because "We don't waste meat on the Turkey Track".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Deep fry the breast

Other parts get made into turkey noodle soup

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The last wild turkey I killed we were hunting out of a primitive hunter's cabin close to the Jack Daniels Distillery. My BIL improvised a roaster using two enamel wash basins, cooked the bird low and slow over a woodfired cookstove. We ate everything but the beard & spurs, it was delicious.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cajun injection w/ crab boil, and then deep-fry the whole bird.

Slap-ya-mama-good.

GR

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Bottom line, there are folks that can cook !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
I roast whole wild turkeys on my Weber kettle charcoal grill and they’re great.

How I do it:

First, gut the bird immediately after shooting it, but leave the feathers on. Like any kind of wild meat. You have to hang it. I fill one of the plastic grocery bags with ice, pull it up into the body cavity and pull the bag handles up and out through the opening I make over the top of the breast and loop them over the bird’s head and neck, then hang the bird by the head in the coolest place I can find until it comes out of rigor, when you can move a leg or wing easily.

Next I pluck the bird.

When it’s all plucked, trimmed and cleaned up, I brine it over night.

Gently work some soft garlic butter under the skin, oil on the outside, tie the legs up close to the body and roast it to an internal temp of about 150 -160.

You figure out your own variations based on what you’ve got to work with, but the important thing is gut and cool quick, hang until it’s out of rigor and brine it.

Just cutting the breast out and tossing the rest is akin to just cutting the backstraps out of a deer.

I went to a preserve a couple years ago with my son and grandson, and brought home three ringnecks and three chukars. Since it was cool, around 40, I hanged them, guts and all, in the garage, after checking for body hits that might contaminate the meat with digestive stuff. I plucked and dressed them after three days and the insides didn’t smell bad at all, the feathers came out nicely, and the meat was delicious.

A sous-vide cooker, similar to the jiffy pot, will turn even pheasant legs into tasty vittles, it just takes a bit longer. Seal the seasoned meat in a vaccuum bag with butter, olive oil, bacon fat, ghee, whatever you like. You are esssentially poaching in fat like a confit. The machines are cheap and easy to use. Eveybody that hunts oughta try one.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.