Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I bought a '14 Yukon Denali w/ <48K on it for Mama a few weeks ago.

I got the AFM disabler today. It is Range Technology brand.

https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/afm-dfm_disabler/

I slipped it into the slot and headed for town today. I drove the rig about forty miles. If I had not pulled up the display to show V4 vs V8 activation, we would not have known the difference.

If the vehicle ever needed a smog check, or other access to the OBD port, you just pull the plug out and replace it later. The mechanic assured me, no learn period. Just plug it in and go.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If I had an AFM vehicle I would probably look into one as well. As you probably know, it doesn’t really solve the root problem, as the AFM valve lifters are still in place and can still cause issues. I suppose it’s better than nothing, but I would still be nervous about the AFM/lifter related failures.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Do those work on the new ones that shut off different amounts of cylinders instead of just half of them. I don't know what those ladies at gm did with the newer 5.3s and 6.2s but I've head a lot of people having valve and lifter problems, major problems.

Bb

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I do not know about that.

My mechanic did mention a unit which disables the engine shut off at every red light, and a unit which does that as well as disables the cylinder deactivation.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
A fool and their money……

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you loved her you’d have bought her a Toyota.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a Pulsar unit on my 2020 1/2 ton Denali. Just traded that truck for a 2024 AT4X and am going to order another a.s.a.p. Good units.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Range Tech doesnt have a unit for 2024 GM trucks yet. I'm waiting.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I thought this was going to be about a 270 rifle.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
If the vehicle ever needed a smog check, or other access to the OBD port, you just pull the plug out and replace it later. The mechanic assured me, no learn period. Just plug it in and go.

Every year when I pull mine for emissions I have to drive it and reset all the sensors...except one. We're allowed one not set in PA. Your mechanic is wrong. And some are a PITA to get the sensors to set. I used to drive the sob 300 miles to get them to set. Figured it out though. Drive 20 on warm engine. Let it sit overnight, cold start idle for 3-5 minutes theyre all ready.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Pulsar on my 21 Silverado and it lets me control the AFM, Start/Stop, adjust the speedometer for tire size, speed limiter, tire pressure sensors and probably some more things I can't remember. It plugs in under the hood and lets me control things with the steering wheel buttons. Takes about 2 minutes to install or remove. https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/pulsar_lt/

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
I had a Pulsar unit on my 2020 1/2 ton Denali. Just traded that truck for a 2024 AT4X and am going to order another a.s.a.p. Good units.
kind of hard to say how good a unit is if its only on a vehicle 3 years or so.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Didn’t realize until I saw this thread that GM had gone back to the boneyard of bad ideas to inflict this absurdity on a new generation of true believers. Thought they’d have learned their lesson 40 years ago with their Cadillac “8-6-4” disaster.

When I worked for them in those days, saw how they’d sequentially pull dies off the casting lines to make engineering changes to the product in the middle of a production run, just keep running them, leave the beta testing to the consumer…. Figure you might have several flow patterns in a run of intake manifolds, all the same part number, all the “correct” fit…

That’s when I bought my first Toyota, never looked back.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
kind of hard to say how good a unit is if its only on a vehicle 3 years or so.
Had one on my GMC for ten years, does that count?

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
My 2017 Silverado with the 6.2 cost me 5000 dollars for lifter repair just before I sold it. Less than 70000 miles and not abused. Edk

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Hardwoodmaterials
I have a Pulsar on my 21 Silverado and it lets me control the AFM, Start/Stop, adjust the speedometer for tire size, speed limiter, tire pressure sensors and probably some more things I can't remember. It plugs in under the hood and lets me control things with the steering wheel buttons. Takes about 2 minutes to install or remove. https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/pulsar_lt/

I have this as well. It will also let you set the sensitivity of the throttle. I set it to "3" and throttle response is way better. You can set it to "5", but the pedal is way too sensitive.
All things considered, it is a little peace of mind, but as stated above, the lifters are still in it.

Whoever engineered this, and thought it was a good idea to activate and deactivate lifters, was/is an absolute idiot.

I do believe Summit has a lifter kit to replace the 2 piece lifter design. However, the computer needs to be chipped if doing the conversion. As Ed stated, just to replace the bad lifter is a ton of money. From what I have seen, the heads have to come off in order to replace the lifters. There are also fuel rails under the intake that are one time use. Those get replaced also.

Hindsight, wish I would have bought the 2500 with the 6.6 gas V8. It has regular hydraulic lifters and no DFM. Didn't really need a 3/4 ton truck, but at least I wouldn't have to worry about this issue.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My new Chevy V8 does not have the valve shut off. It was discontinued for the 2024. I still have the shutoff for the red light. I have pretty much gotten used to it.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jackmountain
If you loved her you’d have bought her a Toyota.

This.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cra1948
Didn’t realize until I saw this thread that GM had gone back to the boneyard of bad ideas to inflict this absurdity on a new generation of true believers. Thought they’d have learned their lesson 40 years ago with their Cadillac “8-6-4” disaster.

When I worked for them in those days, saw how they’d sequentially pull dies off the casting lines to make engineering changes to the product in the middle of a production run, just keep running them, leave the beta testing to the consumer…. Figure you might have several flow patterns in a run of intake manifolds, all the same part number, all the “correct” fit…

That’s when I bought my first Toyota, never looked back.

My Dad worked on everything from cranes, power wagons, cars, trucks. Told me once he'd bought his last American car. Never bought anything but Toyota, Hondas, Nissan, Subaru after that. Too much maintenance on American cars and trucks.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
From conversations with a couple dealership mechanics, the problems with AFM system is most prevalent and almost guaranteed in two cases. Case one, people ignore the factory specification for oil and try to run 15-40 diesel or other higher than spec weights. Case two, people ignore the factory oil change interval. If you're avoiding those two cases then odds are greatly in your favor of not having issues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (260Remguy, 1_deuce, 260madman, 280shooter, 1minute, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,856
Posts18,478,531
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.