Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
... between a long sermon and a hostage situation.

And - for those delivering same, the Stockholm Syndrome does not apply.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks. I may have to appropriate that for one of my sermons.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Brevity is the mark of a great speaker! Get out early and beat the Methodists to the restaurant.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Billy Graham was arguably the greatest evangelist of our times. His actual messages were typically 15 minutes or less...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
3 rules to speaking:

Be funny
Be brief
Be seated

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Four "S":

> Stand Up
> Speak Up
> Shut Up
> Sit down

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Our preacher does a remarkable job of delivering a great message in a reasonable amount of time. He goes a bit longer now and then, but no one objects. If the Holy Spirit is speaking through him, I’m sure not going to stand in the way!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the young seminary graduate arrived at the small country Church to preach his first official sermon, he noticed it had snowed about three feet deep just hours before Church was scheduled to begin. Due to the snow, An elderly, white bearded farmer was the only person to show up for the service.

The young minister looked at the farmer and asked, "What do you think we should do?"

The farmer scratched his beard thoughtfully. "Well, I don't know much about preaching, but I do know about farming. If I went down to the pasture with a load of hay to feed my cows and only one cow showed up, I'd feed that cow."

The seminary graduate said, "That's great! You sit right there and I'll preach you a sermon."

After about ninety minutes of preaching hellfire and brimstone, the seminary graduate concluded his sermon. Feeling pretty proud of his accomplishment, the preacher turned to the farmer and asked, "Well, how was it?"

The farmer scratched his beard thoughtfully. "Like I said, I don't know much about preaching, but I do know about farming. Like I told you, if I went down to the field with a load of hay and only one cow showed up, I'd feed that one cow. But, there's just one thing."

"What's that?" the preacher asked.

The farmer replied, "I wouldn't feed her the whole load."

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It is hard to hold people’s attention for much over thirty minutes. Less is better. Preachers love to give anecdotes and examples. The problem is they end up wearing out their welcome with them.

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Along these lines: don't start off by saying that you are going to make X number of points! There is nothing worse than sitting there realizing that you are only on point #2.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
John Ross Lightfoot's story about the priest that timed his sermons with a mint.
It worked well, until he put in a button.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Stand up- - - - -be seen
Speak up- - - - -be heard
Shut up- - - - -be appreciated!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It depends on the speaker. Doctor Drury spoke about The Reformation, you could have heard a pin drop.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rainshot
It is hard to hold people’s attention for much over thirty minutes. Less is better. Preachers love to give anecdotes and examples. The problem is they end up wearing out their welcome with them.

12.5 min and I'm out mentally. If you can't get your point across in 9 min, with a few anecdotes, find a new gig.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
When I was a kid, my Dad liked to go to the 11am mass on Sunday because the Pastor was a devout Packer fan.

It was a large church so at communion time he had two of the junior priests on the far right and far left of the church each giving communion to a single file line of parishioners, each time saying fully "The body of Christ, The body of Christ."

The old pastor served a double line of parishioners saying "Christ, Christ, Christ" while he rapidly served to his right and to his left.

His usual 11am sermon went along the lines of,
"I know everyone is anxious to get home, so until next week keep God in your thoughts and try to do the Lords work."

He could usually wrap things up by 1145am, and we could be home for a Noon kickoff.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 29 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,296
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.